WTSP's Overhaul

TheRob

I definitely smell the influence though. It's kind of a spurious correlation, but I totally see it.

Also, just watching the opens...the difference from "templated TV news open" in and of itself is refreshing. The problem is that the cliche is overwhelming. And some of them don't even feel like they're for a news program. Everything I've heard suggests the presentation is a disaster.

There is a history of bold risks in television news. Some age well. Others are remembered as time capsules, or as being way before their time. Others are presented with nothing but round mockery. WTHR and "Eyewitness NewsCenter 13" with its roving set. KFMB's This Day. KIRO's news out of the box. The 1991 revamp of KYW with "The News Tonight". The "CBS 2 Information Network". News with a Twist. They are the television news versions of the Tequila Sunrise uniform. They throw convention not to the wind to blow away, but to the wolves to be eaten.

WTSP has ascended its newscast into some...notoriously vaunted territory. I get it. News programs can be stale. Everyone is chasing the God of the Golden Millennial.

But from now on, WTSP is "that station that was so desperate to chase Millennials they chased away their audience".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some day one reax from Twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]855263464520122368[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855162856534409216[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855027971593261056[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]854995359134887936[/MEDIA]

And a contrarian:

[MEDIA=twitter]855257503638093824[/MEDIA]

Sounds painful to watch. When will consultants realize that these young adult targeted newscasts rarely pan out.

The really painful part will be when they try to win back the OLDER viewers they pissed away.

I would flip them the "middle fin" of I had one.

There is a history of bold risks in television news. Some age well. Others are remembered as time capsules, or as being way before their time. Others are presented with nothing but round mockery. WTHR and "Eyewitness NewsCenter 13" with its roving set. KFMB's This Day. KIRO's news out of the box. The 1991 revamp of KYW with "The News Tonight". The "CBS 2 Information Network". News with a Twist. They are the television news versions of the Tequila Sunrise uniform. They throw convention not to the wind to blow away, but to the wolves to be eaten.

Oh, Oh oh...

You forgot those "Good News-Cast" from the 1990's....where the bad news always came back....

And a contrarian:

[MEDIA=twitter]855257503638093824[/MEDIA]

You know how this will go down in the next meeting.

"Guys, we got a tweet from someone saying that they LOVE the new format and have congratulated us on it. Keep up the good work, this is proof that we're ahead of the curve and the show is really taking off."

Some Graphics Reel-possibly coming soon to the station?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF9mFn8jP7U

Based on these I think the WTSP might be going for a CBS Sports look. Or is it just me noticing that?

Some of this looks like WOIO might have wanted to try, especially the getting answers part.

Also, if this actually works for the lower rated stations, could Tegna try to take the approach to their higher rated stations as a mandate?

Brightside to me seems like their version of Eye Opener at KDAF in Dallas. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 attempts some comedy in that newscast. They already have anchors sitting on the floor.

Some of this looks like WOIO might have wanted to try, especially the getting answers part.

Also, if this actually works for the lower rated stations, could Tegna try to take the approach to their higher rated stations as a mandate?

Brightside to me seems like their version of Eye Opener at KDAF in Dallas. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 attempts some comedy in that newscast. They already have anchors sitting on the floor.

God, if this shows up at WKYC, I'm going to puke.

There is a history of bold risks in television news. Some age well. Others are remembered as time capsules, or as being way before their time. Others are presented with nothing but round mockery. WTHR and "Eyewitness NewsCenter 13" with its roving set. KFMB's This Day. KIRO's news out of the box. The 1991 revamp of KYW with "The News Tonight". The "CBS 2 Information Network". News with a Twist.

There is a difference between that and this, though. Those formats, flawed as they were, covered news. This one does not.

It seems that Tegna is bringing the "hip, edgy" crap at the bottom-feeder stations. I shudder if WUSA is next on the "Tegna Hip Train", even though they can let nature take its course and wait for a certain "7" to self-destruct.

If that's the case, I hope folks like Andrea Roane, Topper Shutt, Howard Bernstein, and Bruce Johnson get the hell out of dodge before they're forced to do hokey bullshit stories.

The May book is gonna be

If that's the case, I hope folks like Andrea Roane, Topper Shutt, Howard Bernstein, and Bruce Johnson get the hell out of dodge before they're forced to do hokey bullshit stories.

I'm guessing this is all experimental - and not sure if Tegna is responsible or the ND of WTSP is responsible.

I definitely smell the influence though. It's kind of a spurious correlation, but I totally see it.

Also, just watching the opens...the difference from "templated TV news open" in and of itself is refreshing. The problem is that the cliche is overwhelming. And some of them don't even feel like they're for a news program. Everything I've heard suggests the presentation is a disaster.

WTSP has ascended its newscast into some...notoriously vaunted territory. I get it. News programs can be stale. Everyone is chasing the God of the Golden Millennial.

But from now on, WTSP is "that station that was so desperate to chase Millennials they chased away their audience".

There was also Fox's WJZY experiment three years ago (they've long ditched that and they're still struggling).

The only unconventional newscast to be moderately successful that I can remember was KNXV's "No Chit-Chat, More News" days from 1995-96.

Haven't watched one of their newscasts yet. I might sometime. They sound like crap. Why don't they go back to their fast paced format in the early 2010s that led to ratings INCREASES. It seems Tampa liked that kind of stuff. Not that hard people.

Thank you WTSP for letting viewers deflect over to WFLA and especially to WTVT.

...and to WFTS.

Anyway, I watched WTSP's 11pm news last night. No words. That format won't last.

There was also Fox's WJZY experiment three years ago (they've long ditched that and they're still struggling).

The only unconventional newscast to be moderately successful that I can remember was KNXV's "No Chit-Chat, More News" days from 1995-96.

That actually worked *at the time*, too. From the 8/1/94 launch to sometime in '96. The legacy stuck around for a while but KNXV just wasn't good again until they hit "restart" in 2002.

42 Daily News might also fall in the experiment bin, but by the standards they were playing with, anything would have been a success (though it did its job and laid the foundation for years of improvement at the station).

Let's get some more reactions:

[MEDIA=twitter]855564453508677639[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855458141009563653[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]855374977020854272[/MEDIA]

Here are some from Facebook. Some crack me up:

"...The new set I can tolerate, however the other changes are to the degree that 10 news needs to return to what they were or face consequences."

"lighting is way too dark, and far too much chit-chatting between newscasters. Sometimes unable to understand what they are saying as too busy pretending to have conversations with heads turned away from cameras. Just stick to the news"

"Could you please stop moving from desk to desk. Your mics are not working correctly and everything is muffled. PLEASE bring back the other crew and news. This has been horrible. You just lost my viewing....."

"Just unfollowed ch 10 News WTSP.

Too biased."

"I have watched the 11 o'clock news for many years. I like and count on it so much that I record it on my cable dvr. Not only did you change all the anchors, many of the field reporters, the entire set, the program content (which no longer includes real local, national and world news) but you change the name and even my dvr didn't recognize or record it as 10 news. It's terrible!"

"WOW... 10News WTSP really jumped the shark with that grotesque change to our late news at 11pm. I hope they dont think that is what people want to see at 11pm."

"I am not sure who is responsible for the changes I just witnessed, but other than the weather, THAT was NOT pleasant.

Someone needs to lose their job for this abomination to our lovely 10 News at 11...If that is what you continue to do, I will not even bother with channel 10 anymore, and I can see that I am not alone. WOW that was bad."

"Your new morning format is insipid. I have given up after 3 days .I can't bring myself to watch anymore. You have lost a long-term viewer."

"Instead of spending the money on that fancy new updated set, perhaps adding some money to dig deep into why sick people are being turned away from an Emergency room when they need help would be a better way to spend your money and a far better investment. People that are healthy are far more likely to watch the news than sick and injured people watching news anchors sip some over hyped drink from a company that makes terrible coffee."

"When will you guys unfix your newscast? When the ratings go to zero point zero?"

Also, I had to sift through all the above and more to find:

"Like the new design, look and layout of 6 pm news. . ."

The graphics are nice. No doubt about that.

The problem with me is the format, of course. "Hey baby, this is 10 News!" ... "Netflix and chill baby!!" ... this is news here. Not a more modern version of TMZ27 Daybreak.

-- Matt

That's *exactly* the problem. In a vacuum, the news graphics and music are a breath of fresh air, leaving behind a laden legacy of news open designs. But they're paired with the worst presentation in television news.

The graphics aren't really the problem with the newscasts. It's the fact that WTSP is now "TMZ Local on 10". Fox, Scripps, and Nexstar are laughing all the way to the bank while WTSP possibly pulls in hashmarks for ratings next few books.

Everything from the visuals to the story selection is half baked.

And they think they can build around Mark Rivera as Reggie's replacement. Rivera is a pretty face. He isn't much of a journalist. There's no substance to Rivera.

The abortion known as WTSP.

Archived