New KPHO and KTVK sets

Samantha

Not sure why, but KPHO has a new set...its second new set in three years...

[MEDIA=twitter]855113133102321664[/MEDIA]

Preston Phillips also says KTVK got a new set — its Devlin product dated to 2007.

The $20,000 question will be will KTVK finally dump the old Belo gfx and get a graphic package of their own?

The real question is why didn't they just give a new set to KTVK and left the same one for KPHO. I didn't think it looked dated.

The $20,000 question will be will KTVK finally dump the old Belo gfx and get a graphic package of their own?

The real question is why didn't they just give a new set to KTVK and left the same one for KPHO. I didn't think it looked dated.

The KPHO set had a bit of a cheap feel to it and I suspect that was the reason why here. This looks like a nicer set with richer textures.

The KPHO-KTVK cluster is in need of a graphics rethink because they have two looks that don't go well together. KPHO is using the same graphics that it debuted with the set and The Edge in February 2014. A lot of KTVK graphic elements creep onto KPHO.

I was at Whole Foods lately and saw a KPHO segment during their Saturday 6:30 that was recycled from GMAZ. Look at this. The KPHO revised L3s (not the original) do not overlay the Belo set. I had to snap a picture of it because it looked so awful.

0O6kam5.jpg

Extremely tacky. They could've recorded a raw footage of that same segment without the L3.

And why are they even airing this kind of lighter fare this late in the day? They don't have any other news stories to fill at 6:40 at night? This is why I've been vocal against these crazy news expansions.

The KPHO set had a bit of a cheap feel to it and I suspect that was the reason why here. This looks like a nicer set with richer textures.

The KPHO-KTVK cluster is in need of a graphics rethink because they have two looks that don't go well together. KPHO is using the same graphics that it debuted with the set and The Edge in February 2014. A lot of KTVK graphic elements creep onto KPHO.

I was at Whole Foods lately and saw a KPHO segment during their Saturday 6:30 that was recycled from GMAZ. Look at this. The KPHO revised L3s (not the original) do not overlay the Belo set. I had to snap a picture of it because it looked so awful.

0O6kam5.jpg

Ive noticed that the L3's on KPHO are starting to copy their crosstown competitor KXNV.

Extremely tacky. They could've recorded a raw footage of that same segment without the L3.

And why are they even airing this kind of lighter fare this late in the day? They don't have any other news stories to fill at 6:40 at night? This is why I've been vocal against these crazy news expansions.

You can do that if you plan ahead. Something tells me they did not plan, some producer juat wanted something to fill time, remembered that segment, and had an editor dig up the air check. "It won't look good but at least it fills 3 minutes."

Apparently the KTVK and KPHO Facebook pages have been consolidated as "3TV Phoenix". With the new sets, I wonder if some more brand cleanup is next...

The CBS 5 AZ Facebook page is still alive and well. I literally just checked. I did, however, notice that 3TV's Facebook page is branded as "az family 3TV CBS 5." Both pages feature a "power of 2" logo in some promos. That logo prominently features both the 3 and 5.

The CBS 5 AZ Facebook page is still alive and well. I literally just checked. I did, however, notice that 3TV's Facebook page is branded as "az family 3TV CBS 5." Both pages feature a "power of 2" logo in some promos. That logo prominently features both the 3 and 5.

https://www.facebook.com/cbs5az no longer exists — and that's the link the KPHO site takes you to. Neither does https://www.facebook.com/3TVPhoenix ...

3 has *many* more Twitter followers (216K versus 48.9K) and it had more FB likes — the current AZ Family Facebook page (URL https://www.facebook.com/arizonasfamily ) has 479,000 of them to KPHO's 298,000.

It also has this really cheap looking "az family" temporary profile picture typeset in Calibri, put up just two hours ago:

17992206_10154463961407014_7200314806074853094_n.jpg?oh=f34a66d94d23fc8f048bf32b787fe313&oe=5982DEAC

And while they're at it, the KPHO site template has not changed substantially since late 2009. It's not responsive, obviously. 7.5 years is an eternity on the internet. And the other Meredith stations have the same template.

Interesting. They need someone to figure out their branding.

KPHO is definitely on a temporary set (duratrans with one 16x9 monitor piece). KTVK's set looks normal but one or two things have changed.

Interesting. They need someone to figure out their branding.

No doubt. What a mess. They drop Arizona from CBS 5 for Phoenix, only to emphasize AZ Family (which they should have retired many years ago).

I always liked the NewsChannel 3 branding. They should have brought it back for the newscasts, and used KTVK3 for non-news programming.

No doubt. What a mess. They drop Arizona from CBS 5 for Phoenix, only to emphasize AZ Family (which they should have been retired many years ago).

I always liked the NewsChannel 3 branding. They should have brought it back for the newscasts, and used KTVK3 for non-news programming.

People *still* call it NewsChannel 3, especially if they've been in Phoenix a while. I suggested the Eyewitness News brand (which both stations used at one point or another) if they wanted a deeper integration, but that doesn't fit what they've gone for.

As to the Phoenix part, it's almost a necessity to put a place name in your Facebook page if you have a common number-network combo or brand. When KSAZ ditched the awful MyFoxPhoenix website, instead of going back to fox10.com, they changed to fox10phoenix.com. KNXV is now doing more and more branding as "ABC15 Arizona" (a bit redundant, but...).

Someone on the CBS 5 Facebook page asked them about the name change and this was the response.

Hi there! We will be combining the 3TV Facebook page with the CBS 5 to become one Facebook page - Arizona's family. This is the first step in that process.. you will still be able to access all the great content from both stations- now just all on one page. Thanks!!!

Someone on the CBS 5 Facebook page asked them about the name change and this was the response.

Hi there! We will be combining the 3TV Facebook page with the CBS 5 to become one Facebook page - Arizona's family. This is the first step in that process.. you will still be able to access all the great content from both stations- now just all on one page. Thanks!!!

It makes pretty good sense. They've been gradually trying to combine the newsrooms and brand for almost two years now. Now that Meredith is rolling out OTT apps for streaming devices (they have a number of them already for Amazon Fire TV, with KPHO/KTVK still missing), they need to work out a unified online brand.

I wonder what they'll do to combine the redundant news replay and weather subchannels on 3.2 and 3.3, respectively? When I spoke to the GM, he has neither confirmed nor denied that they plan on adding the Comet TV diginet to one of those subchannels. In a world where everything is moving to OTT (even the content on 3.2 is simulcast on LiveStream), the news/weather subchannel is pretty passé.

• 2 weeks later...

The second phase of the site integration launched this week: a new website at azfamily.com. Both old sites are gone. Twitter is not integrated, but both accounts have had most of the same content anyway.

The Calibri wordmark really needs to go, though. It just feels temporary.

The second phase of the site integration launched this week: a new website at azfamily.com. Both old sites are gone. Twitter is not integrated, but both accounts have had most of the same content anyway.

The Calibri wordmark really needs to go, though. It just feels temporary.

Maybe this is the new Meredith website? Their current websites have been around for quite awhile and are due for an update.

Maybe this is the new Meredith website? Their current websites have been around for quite awhile and are due for an update.

We can only hope. I figured any consolidation would result in a new template. This site template appears to be on the same CMS, so rollout should be smooth.

The mobile site is still a touch janky, but then again, the old site template came about when Android Eclair (2.0) was the new hotness. The original Motorola Droid was new on the market at that time.

Now that I live in the Phoenix area, I do agree that 3TV seems to be covering more of the content online... And I've seen many times where they show the weather gfx from 3TV and slap a CBS 5 on there too... So confusing

The KPHO-KTVK merger is truly among the more bizarre. When it happened, I wanted a merger of equals (because that's what they are). That's pretty much what we've gotten.

While KPHO is the network affiliate and its GM was retained (because it was the buyer), the licensee is KPHO Broadcasting Corporation, and the station had a stronger investigative profile, KTVK had the stronger social game (so the AZFamily brand was retained along with KTVK's accounts), the better and newer studio facilities (coincidentally, 5555 N. Seventh Avenue), and the better morning show (by a country mile).

Heck, even KTVK's background graphic animation worked its way constantly onto KPHO's newscasts.

Have you noticed that most of the content in the new AZFamily website comes from 3TV?

Even prior to consolidation, the CBS 5 Originals section was on azfamily.com but KTVK content wasn't specially called out on the old KPHO site.

Archived