WSVN Losing FOX affiliation?

TheMassMediaGeek

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And philanthropic ventures. $1B+ can do a LOT of good being given to other parties, a lot more than what might happen if they sit on the stations any longer.

As it is, Boston is now a gaping hole in Fox's portfolio and given the choice between buying WFXT for a third time and making a try at the Sunbeam stations the latter may be easier. Get a proven name in Miami, upgrade in Boston, and have all of your stations in the Top 20 markets O&O. Fox has entered the realm of Screw You Money and NBC did all the homework Fox needed to do to strike with a unsolicited high bid he just can't say no to.

I'll say this right now: Ed has more to lose saying no than calling it 55 good years and accepting whatever Fox offers him for the whole shebang.

Unlike NBC, Fox is capable of overpaying for Sunbeam as a whole.

I would equate WSFL to that border station near Bellingham WA that Fox made an offer on. The obvious message was to force Tribune to give up KCPQ.

I'm pretty sure that WSVN is union (especially if WHDH is unionized as well) while WSFL is non-unionized

When you are sure just let me know.

I can give a better answer if I know the facts first.

When you are sure just let me know.

I can give a better answer if I know the facts first.

If they are unionized, then they are unionized, if they are not unionized, then they're not unionized, pretty simple right?

For those who say that WSVN is done once it loses FOX...

1) At least 200-300K watch 7 News at 10:00 every night. It's a monster of a broadcast.

2) WSVN will survive as an Indie as they'll add more local news, following the WHDH method. They'll more like add 9pm news, expand in the morning (both weekdays and weekends) and maybe shift Deco Drive to expand it to a full hour in primetime (I don't see the latter happening but it could still happen.)

So please STFU. WSVN will still be around and Sunbeam ain't going nowhere.

Is it possible that FOX can keep WSFL with CW affiliation and stay status quo? I understand the talk of an affiliation switch, I don't know why? I don't think that might happen, that's just me tho...

Is it possible that FOX can keep WSFL with CW affiliation and stay status quo? I understand the talk of an affiliation switch, I don't know why? I don't think that might happen, that's just me tho...

CBS-owned WBFS would ditch Fox-owned MyTV for their co-owned CW in a heartbeat. But unless Fox gets the “big fish in the pond” to pair directly with WSFL, they will not run 39 as a MyTV affiliate.

As we saw with WJZY, Fox can and will build up an O&O with a full-scale news department even with a UHF channel branding, previous long-standing affiliation be damned. I doubt they’d do the un-news news that WJZY tried at the start, after all, everyone in Miami copies off of WSVN in some way.

It’s pretty academic what’s going on here.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 from newsblues.com

However, Ed Ansin has been at this crossroads before so this isn't nothing new.

May 10, 2018

• SUNBEAM LOSING AFFILIATIONS AT TWO STATIONS

Sunbeam_Television-300x131.jpgSources tell us that Sunbeam Television is losing network affiliations at the two stations that still have them.

The company has been told it will lose WSVN-Miami’s Fox affiliation in early September, right before the start of the NFL season.

Thanks Sinclair.

The new Fox station there will be WSFL, the soon-to-be-Fox O&O (see preceding story).

Fox will likely greatly expand the news department there and you can expect them to try and lure some newspeople from other Miami stations.

In Boston, Sunbeam’s WLVI will lose the CW Network affiliation at a date to be announced sometime before or by next January 1st.

It could be as soon as Labor Day, or not until early 2019.

The CW will move to CBS-owned WSBK (CBS is, of course, half-owner of The CW).

But history tells us that Sunbeam is an old hand at weathering these things and coming out in even better shape

May 10, 2018

db-associates.jpg

SUNBEAM LOSING AFFILIATIONS AT TWO STATIONS

Sunbeam_Television-300x131.jpgSources tell us that Sunbeam Television is losing network affiliations at the two stations that still have them.

The company has been told it will lose WSVN-Miami’s Fox affiliation in early September, right before the start of the NFL season.

Thanks Sinclair.

The new Fox station there will be WSFL, the soon-to-be-Fox O&O (see preceding story).

Fox will likely greatly expand the news department there and you can expect them to try and lure some newspeople from other Miami stations.

In Boston, Sunbeam’s WLVI will lose the CW Network affiliation at a date to be announced sometime before or by next January 1st.

But history tells us that Sunbeam is an old hand at weathering these things and coming out in even better shape

If that's the case, then say goodbye to WLVI. No way will there be two Indies that Sunbeam will own. But wow, they're losing The CW too in Boston. That's new to hear.

Hell, they probably can't even sell the stations they have. Who could afford them? Who could buy them without having to completely upend their entire company and deal with selling off some of their own assets?

Well, to be fair, Disney/ABC wouldn't have much trouble selling KFSN and WTVD if they wanted to.

The keyword being "if".

Well, to be fair, Disney/ABC wouldn't have much trouble selling KFSN and WTVD if they wanted to.

The keyword being "if".

In the case of KFSN...and WTVD...

They have the highest profit margins in the entire chain of stations with the low operating cost for those markets.

What did I say about "final in the coffin"........

It's all but a forgone conclusion where the CW is moving to in South Florida (TV33).

And as NewsBlues said, thank the Heathens Of Hunt Valley for all of this.

May 10, 2018

Thanks Sinclair.

The move of Fox to WSFL will almost certainly happen. However, I wouldn't put too much weight on WLVI losing The CW, since Newsblues has been wrong several times before. Not to mention, WLVI's original affiliation agreement expired two years ago, meaning a move of it to WSBK would have happened long ago if CBS really wanted to put it on WSBK.

In the case of KFSN...and WTVD...

They have the highest profit margins in the entire chain of stations with the low operating cost for those markets.

I would think that'd make them attractive to potential buyers.

I would think that'd make them attractive to potential buyers.

A new buyer would not have those attractive margins unless the purchase price was way below market value.

Real assets at both stations are already owned outright by ABC.

..I wouldn't put too much weight on WLVI losing The CW, since Newsblues has been wrong several times before. Not to mention, WLVI's original affiliation agreement expired two years ago, meaning a move of it to WSBK would have happened long ago if CBS really wanted to put it on WSBK.

And if that was the case, Sunbeam would have just shutdown WLVI entirely in the spectrum auction and just rode it out with Buzzr and This as subchannels of WHDH. It would have made no sense to keep it a going concern (how little going there is) without assurances from the CW they were keeping them on.

May 10, 2018

Woof.

Fool me once (SVN/NBC the first time), shame on you.

Fool me twice (HDH/NBC the second time), shame on me.

Fool me three times (SVN/FOX and now I guess LVI with CBS)...I'd begin to wonder if Ansin could brew an anti-trust case.

Not like he has anything else to lose at this point...

WHBQ/Memphis was on their set until 2015. Not sure if they’re still on the set or not.

At this point, it's just WNYW, WJW, and KDFW who still have the Blyth-designed sets as everyone else has ditched theirs.

What did I say about "final in the coffin"........

It's all but a forgone conclusion where the CW is moving to in South Florida (TV33).

And as NewsBlues said, thank the Heathens Of Hunt Valley for all of this.

The Smith Empire basically threw napalm at the Ansin Family Trust without giving it a second thought.

Will the Ansins be forced to sell WLVI now?

May 10, 2018

Thanks Sinclair.

Fox is known to purchase stations and strip away the affiliation of another station (ask WCCB how that was like) if Fox can do it in Charlotte there's no reason why they couldn't do it in Miami

May 10, 2018

Thanks Sinclair.

Just combine WLVI's programming inventories onto WHDH, or whatever will be left of it (does any other Boston station really WANT the NBC trio o' trash TV?), flip 56.1 to Buzzr or whatever turnkey subchannel is available and they'll be okay. It's absurd to stretch that inventory on two independent stations, especially when one already turned to news as a means to replace the loss of network programming.

I'd be surprised if WBFS 33 doesn't flip to the CW at the same time. It's too obvious a move to make.

Technically, Sunbeam CAN weather this because WLVI's RF netted them... what... $500M??? To say nothing about the durability of 7 News in both markets.

The whole reason MyNetworkTV started in the first place was to affiliate stations that were shut out of the CW when UPN merged with the WB....and Fox led the charge by refusing to affiliate with them (back then) and de-emphasing UPN on the stations of theirs that had it (largely former Chris-Craft United ones)

Sinclair has quite a few MNTV affiliates of their own and opted to choose them over the CW as their primary choice....CW stations came in by other groups having a preference over them or a second station in the market (like Raleigh and Minneapolis)

But let's hope this is YEARS away...if ever. If the whole CW thing happened years later, we would probably have more independent stations or more that opted to sell off in the auction.

Sinclair has quite a few MNTV affiliates of their own and opted to choose them over the CW as their primary choice....CW stations came in by other groups having a preference over them or a second station in the market (like Raleigh and Minneapolis)

Hence why you had stations like WUXP (former UPN affiliate in Nashville) going with MNTV instead of The CW (WNAB picked up the affiliation).

Archived