New set coming at KNBC Los Angeles

CraigViewer

For the past few days, I have noticed that NBC LA's newscasts have originated from the newsroom.  And, confirmed in a post on X by anchor Lynette Romero, a new set is indeed under construction right now...

Screenshot_20231004_213044_X.jpg

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to New set coming at KNBC Los Angeles
7 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

For the past few days, I have noticed that NBC LA's newscasts have originated from the newsroom.  And, confirmed in a post on X by anchor Lynette Romero, a new set is indeed under construction right now...

Screenshot_20231004_213044_X.jpg

NBC's O&O sets have been hit (Miami, Washington, Chicago) or miss (Bay Area) lately. Let's hope they get something nice, how long was the outgoing set in service?

I think WTVJ's is a miss compared to their previous set. It's a very large and nice set but I think it is just bland overall like WNBC's. WMAQ, WRC, WCAU, KXAS and maybe even WBTS have the better sets within the group. There is more character and elements to their sets. KNBC's is starting to age but still held up well and had some character. We'll see if they get something similar to WMAQ and WRC and not the way of WTVJ and WNBC. 

• Sad 1

KNBC moved from Burbank to Universal City around 2014/2015. The outgoing set has been in use since then. There have been minor tweaks and upgrades along the way. I'm currently looking at sister station T52 to see if they have moved to the newsroom as well. They operate out of the same facility. They are still in their studio, but it does look a bit diferent to me. Not sure if they got a new studio first, then moved on to KNBC.

8 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I think WTVJ's is a miss compared to their previous set. It's a very large and nice set but I think it is just bland overall like WNBC's.  ... We'll see if they get something similar to WMAQ and WRC and not the way of WTVJ and WNBC. 

WNBC's set is going away shortly as they move from Studio 3K to 3B, shared with Telemundo 47, in a similar set up to DC.  Hopefully there will be some unique elements but most of the NBCU sets are based on lots of video screens and stand up delivery.  In the end, does a viewer really care?  

On 10/5/2023 at 5:52 PM, NowBergen said:

WNBC's set is going away shortly as they move from Studio 3K to 3B, shared with Telemundo 47, in a similar set up to DC.  Hopefully there will be some unique elements but most of the NBCU sets are based on lots of video screens and stand up delivery.  In the end, does a viewer really care?  

Recall the wood grain elements WRC retrofitted onto its prior set after its original stark Clickspring debut…wood elements that were signature to the set that replaced…

Mu guess is viewers were off put by something so stark the first time around.

So generally yes viewers probably don't obsess the details but if the change is too stark they can find it distracting or hard to identify and stations can get caught flat footed. 

Thats probably more pronounced at the minority of stations that have deep generational viewing habits. 

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I think WTVJ's is a miss compared to their previous set. It's a very large and nice set but I think it is just bland overall like WNBC's. WMAQ, WRC, WCAU, KXAS and maybe even WBTS have the better sets within the group. There is more character and elements to their sets. KNBC's is starting to age but still held up well and had some character. We'll see if they get something similar to WMAQ and WRC and not the way of WTVJ and WNBC. 

WTVJ's set is waaaay better than WNBC's former and new set. But totally agree that WNBC is lackluster for market 1. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

This story has the anchor desk 2 shot and the story wall. I think the weather is going 3D like KPIX, at least looking at a promo that aired. 

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/on-air/high-speed-train-from-rancho-cucamonga-to-las-vegas-aims-to-cut-travel-time-in-half/3289036/

Would look less generic if they put attached a physical banner of lettering to the top of the story wall and/or main anchor backdrop wall that says 4 LOS ANGELES or something. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Sad 1

Looks like they also replaced the monitor in front of the desk. I'm fairly certain this is the third time it has been replaced as it usually suffers from pretty bad burn in...especially when they used the monitor to super the anchors instead of regular lower third graphics.

By and large, it is a nice improvement over the previous news set, which had outdated TV monitors (my 60-inch TV at home looks more modern than the screens from their old set 🤣) in their now defunct Weather Center and the front-facing one on the news desk, as well.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 1

It’s underwhelming. Basically they redid the floors, replaced the desk, hid the weather center with a monitor wall, and added a monitor wall on the back wall? Am I missing anything? I understand there’s only so much you can do at times but their set IMO was fine as is. I wonder if this was an update done by the station with money the had or the O&O office had them freshen it up. 

• Like 1