2024 NBA Media Deals

Georgie56

It would be nice if USA had more sports programming,  but I don't think NBC will put nba games or Inside the NBA on USA.  If they wanted more sports programming on USA,  they would have put big 10 football and basketball on USA, as well as on NBC and peacock.

10 hours ago, ThunderJay27 said:

If Amazon grabs a part of the rights, I could see them just absorbing Inside. They're the only ones that, I think, would give them the time and space to really do what they do. NBC would have time constraints with the news and such.

I agree...if Turner loses the NBA, I could see a scenario where they'll loan Ernie Johnson to whomever (Amazon, or NBC or even ESPN) just for Inside the NBA (or whatever title they would use the Association left Turner), I believe so long as Ernie wants to go that route.  He's given years of service to Turner, so IMO he's the earned the right to his dictate his own terms.

It's not unprecedented that sportscasters and analysts work for more than one entity concurrently...it's too many countless examples through the years.  If they can find a way to keep Ernie, Shaq, Kenny, and Charles together, they will.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:48 PM, ekt8750 said:

Little update on this; John Tesh says all they have to do is give him a call if they win the package. The Fox license isn't exclusive:

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/nbc/john-tesh-roundball-rock-nba-media-rights.html

That's true it's not exclusive. The latest Draft Kings commercial with Kevin Hart used the first 15 seconds of the theme.

Maybe there's a possibility that the two companies can split the cost and the rights of the remaining part of the deal.  That way, the NBA will still get their increase in the rights fee and both wbd & NBC get a piece of the package.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JTT said:

Maybe there's a possibility that the two companies can split the cost and the rights of the remaining part of the deal.  That way, the NBA will still get their increase in the rights fee and both wbd & NBC get a piece of the package.

At this point, I feel like that’s up to NBC; they seem to have all the leverage right now, and I imagine they’d want exclusivity if they’re able to get it.

Granted, if I were David Zaslav and I knew the NBA was going to increase their rights fees, I would’ve reached out to NBC (or someone else) from the get go to partner on the second package. It’s exactly what CBS did w/ Turner when they were at risk of losing Men’s March Madness to ESPN. There’s no guarantee it would’ve worked, but I think it would’ve been a far better strategy than Zaslav’s horrid public negotiation (“we don’t need the NBA”).

If TNT lose the rights to the NBA I’m curious if the board of directors call a vote of no confidence on David Zaslav and replace him as CEO

On 5/13/2024 at 5:34 PM, TVLurker said:

Nothing's official, even if Bill Simmons says that it's a done deal.  I've been listening to many of his podcasts since his ESPN days, and sometimes he's been wrong about plenty of stuff.  I'm not calling him a liar, but some of his thoughts comes from a "Bawwston" homer way of thinking.

That said, if NBC does indeed take the Turner portion of the package, I hope they can find a way for the Inside the NBA crew to stay together... whether it be them or Amazon using them for pre- and post-game coverage. 

Meanwhile, ESPN will go through their usual shuffling of hosts and desk analysts, although their current lineup of Malika Andrews, Stephen A., Mike Wilbon, Kendrick Perkins and/or Bob Myers is actually a pretty good group compared to others from years past.  Although, I would say that Myers doesn't have a lot of on-camera charisma (oddly enough, similar to Simmons, IMO), and Perkins can sometimes go off on some nonsensical tangents, but otherwise this group works well together.

Edited by SDHIll1980
  • Like 1

Given that TNT's parent company WarnerMedia also operates NBA TV, I wonder if there is a scenario that "Inside the NBA" can somehow continue on that network.  Over the years, NBA TV's studio shows have featured Shaq, Kenny "The Jet" Smith, and others, from TNT, after all.  I haven't heard anyone specaulate about that scenerio in the media coverage yet.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CraigViewer said:

Given that TNT's parent company WarnerMedia also operates NBA TV, I wonder if there is a scenario that "Inside the NBA" can somehow continue on that network.  Over the years, NBA TV's studio shows have featured Shaq, Kenny "The Jet" Smith, and others, from TNT, after all.  I haven't heard anyone specaulate about that scenerio in the media coverage yet.

If I'm not mistaken, 'Inside the NBA' is repeated on NBA TV, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities to move the show over. However, if WBD were to lose the NBA, they may just decide to end their NBA TV partnership with the NBA as well.   

3 hours ago, JTT said:

Since the show is successful,  I don't think NBC or AMAZON will let it end.  One of them will probably pick up the show.  If NBC gets it, they'll probably put it on CNBC / USA Network or Peacock.  

Well two of the show’s arguably most critical personalities have already said they aren’t continuing on any other network but TNT. Ernie and Charles have said they’re out if NBA leaves TNT. The Tuesday crew is equivalent to the boring ESPN studio show too so not much they can do as replacement options on a new network either.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Sad 1