International Video Thread

Guest newscentre_australia

América TV (VHF channel 2 in Buenos Aires) late news' last segment and close. (January 15, 2008)

That happens when you have a 30 minute newscast and the last 10 or 15 minutes are filled with commercial breaks. That's very normal on TV, unfortunately.

The graphics, set and the music were used for a relatively short time (from August of 2007 until March of 2009) and were the best, despite the newscast is very tabloid.

• 2 weeks later...

LS85TV Canal 13 (Buenos Aires). Late news from July 25, 2000. The top story that night was the Concord plane crash in France.

This channel was the only station airing news at midnight. The other four weren't interested on having a final edition. The news set is virtual.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine watching cartoons... inside a newscast! That happened on the ATC (Argentina's former public television) morning news. It was intended that children who went to elementary schools had to wake up at 7, because classes start at 8.

(starts at 13:36)

This practice was phased off in 2006 when a more traditional news programme premiered.

América TV (VHF channel 2 in Buenos Aires) news open from December 31st, 1998. Very advanced graphics by the time (similar to Novocom) and I think that could have been made abroad, and not in Argentina.

This was when the channel aired two hours of evening news: one at 7 until 8, and another from 9 to 10, as a lead-in for prime-time programming.

This 90-second update served as the late night news for a year.

And here's a news promo, from 1999.

A decade prior to that, in the shortest but most successful period of the station's history...

It's a lot of everything. The announcer! The music! The news presenter! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

(The lead story: a postal strike!)

• Like 1

A decade prior to that, in the shortest but most successful period of the station's history...

It's a lot of everything. The announcer! The music! The news presenter! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

(The lead story: a postal strike!)

It was their particular style to give the news, in a sensational, tabloid way that people wanted (and still want) to watch.

In fact, the Sousa march and the tabloid format were inherited by the news channel Crónica TV, which signed on in 1994, and turned that music in their anthem, like WPVI did with "Move Closer to Your World". The lead story was the postal strike because, despite technological improvements, only a few people in the Buenos Aires metro area had telephone service at that time. By the end of the 1990s, the service reached more than a half of the population. And the presenter, Lidia Satragno (nicknamed Pinky) was a very popular personality on TV, and she was able to connect with viewers, despite not being a reporter.

• Like 1

I figured you'd offer some context. I knew Crónica basically was the spiritual successor to TeleDos (which folded within a week — one of the more bizarre collapses in television history). I'm just unable to comprehend the idea that this was a newscast with serious news and it was presented...like that.

Also, who is the voiceover on the headline summary? Someone's gotta know.

• Like 5

I figured you'd offer some context. I knew Crónica basically was the spiritual successor to TeleDos (which folded within a week — one of the more bizarre collapses in television history). I'm just unable to comprehend the idea that this was a newscast with serious news and it was presented...like that.

Also, who is the voiceover on the headline summary? Someone's gotta know.

I think that they tried to do a news show rather than a serious newscast (very uncommon then). It's normal to see that the noon news is very relaxed, with few hard stories and the rest is devoted to health and consumer issues, and even to cooking segments. That's a little different now. About the voiceover, his name is Rafael Monzón (he's named by Pinky at the end of the second segment). I don't have more information about him.

Because I consider these graphics overwhelming (they're better than the current graphics), I've decided to post two more excerpts from América 2's 1998/2001 news identity.

This afternoon teaser highlights stories from their 7PM newscast on Tuesday, June 9, 1998, the day before the start of the Soccer World Cup.

A prime-time update from August of 1998.

And finally, the current open, which debuted on September 12, 2016.

• 3 weeks later...