Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: Phil's Fashion Breakdown: Week THREE!!!

Well...

Phil managed to go one full weekend without looking like a jackass. As a matter of fact, he actully seemed to avoid buttoning as much as possible. Poor Phil, he of impeccable taste and tailoring...it will take quite some time to live this one down. Perhaps a few weeks of Full Morning Dress would redeem him? :)

incognito6fan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: Phil's Fashion Breakdown: Week THREE!!!

As the year draws to a close, SuitSnob gets caught up in the joy of the season and just can’t bring himself to attack the poor, unfortunate men on local news who just can’t seem to dress themselves. So, in lieu of the usual snark, SuitSnob will just close out the year with a warmhearted letter to St. Nick himself (who NEVER bottoms the bottom button of his red suit by the way….). So, get a nice cup of eggnog and join me for some Christmas cheer!!!!

Dear Santa:

How are you? Did that tailor I recommended last year make you a bespoke suit that managed to have natural fibers but would also deflect the urine of over-emotional children sitting on your lap? I sure hope so.

Santa, I feel so blessed this year. Did you know that several personalities on the local news actually followed my sage and sound advice and stopped dressing like jackasses? Yes Santa, it is true. But Santa…there is also sadness here in Whoville. Some of the men simply will not listen to reason, and clearly the management of their stations does not care that their on-air talent continues to make the broadcasts look unprofessional here in the Fashion Capital of the World. Bah, HUMBUG!!!

So Santa…this year I ask for nothing for myself. But I ask, no BEG you to help these poor creatures who need some serious Christmas Magic to save their wardrobes:

Santa, HELP these POOR BASTARDS!!!!

First on the list, we need to update on Jackass of the Year Phil Lipoff. Santa, he needs not suits, shirts, shoes, ties or pocket squares-all that he possesses are greater than anything even your elves could whip up! But alas, in a tragedy of Dickensian proportions he continues to button the bottom button of his suit coats. It seemed like this bad habit stopped as quickly as it started, but then on Saturday he DID IT AGAIN. Not only that Santa…as you can see from this picture, (this is REALLY sad) as the camera faded in from the outside shots at the top of the broadcast it caught him actually quickly rushing to button it!

0121207phil01.jpg

He really needs to stop fiddling with that bottom button on-air. Rumors might start that he is fiddling with something else…

So Santa, like the door to a manger a huge gap opens between the buttons…

0121207phil02.jpg

Santa, I don’t know what you can do to help this charity case. Maybe some Valium, because after leaving it buttoned at the top of the broadcast he then unbuttoned and re-buttoned it about 15 times in the two-hour broadcast (this is not a SuitSnob exaggeration). And then on Sunday he wasn’t even there…is it possible he stayed home standing before the mirror frozen in fear not knowing how to button up? (Valium Santa…I know he’d just LOVE it!) Could you please tell him, Phil, just button the top button of a two-button suit or the top and middle or middle-button only of a three-button suit and then LEAVE IT ALONE!!! And then after six solid months of not buttoning the bottom button SuitSnob will never mention it again!

As 2008 approaches Santa, I am afraid that Phil remains…

phildisaster05.jpg

JACKASS OF THE YEAR!!!!!

(Santa, maybe he’d like some nice hay to munch on? Or maybe he could carry Mary in the Christmas Play?)

Moving on Santa…and this is a BIG order: Can we possibly get a completely new wardrobe for Sean Hennesey? As the weeks of his employment go by on CBS2, his clothing just gets worse and worse:

0121207sean.jpg

Let’s see…making a list and checking it twice…

Tie: Ugly pattern, ridiculously small knot.

Suit: Horrible fabric…the type they sell cheap at Burlington Coat Factory. Terrible fit.

Shirt: Collar is not designed to hold tie knot and has ludicrously narrow points.

I can’t see his shoes Santa, but based on the general quality of the rest of his outfit I would guess he is wearing SCUBA flippers. Santa, this man just looks horrible on a constant and consistent basis. God bless us, EVERYONE by letting CBS2 management see just how having a reporter dress this poorly makes their station look incompetent.

Oh…wait Santa…speaking of men at CBS2…

Can you get Lonnie Quinn a copy of Sam Champion’s self-help book called How to Become a TV Weather Guy Based Only on Your Looks For Fun And Profit? In Chapter 12 of that tome, Sam explains that the pseudo-weather himbo requires perfectly tailored suits to create the illusion of competence while reporting what the guy in the back room with the actual science degree figured out.

Lonnie unfortunately keeps buttoning the bottom button and OF COURSE still has the problem of his coat riding up and his tie smushing out while seated because of it:

0121207lonnie01.jpg

0121207lonnie03.jpg

But Santa, Lonnie is not a lost cause…some days he really does look quite dapper. Not Lee Goldberg-level (Lonnie, unlike Lee is mortal), but very solid. I wish that I could say the same for Don Dahler who not only needs more of the hair dye that you got him last year, but needs a dash of Dickens to get him through the season.

First, like Phil Lipoff he is so uncomfortable with his coat being all buttoned that he fiddles with it while the camera is on:

0121207dahler03-1.jpg

Either he is fiddling with the bottom button or Santa needs to send him some cream for a rash in a VERY personal place….

And like every suit that he wears, it rides up on his torso from the tightness…accentuating the already-poor fit:

0121207dahler04.jpg

Santa, do you think you could get the tech staff to start running the graphics on his torso instead of next to his head so we don’t have to look at his suits or ties?

Dahler needs a visit from three ghosts…

The Ghost of Christmas Past will take him back twenty years when he bought some of his atrocious suits.

The Ghost of Christmas Present will just let him see himself looking like crap on TV to scare him into dressing 100% better, which will make him look at least halfway decent.

And then…

The Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come will show him his future at the Ft. Wayne Indiana station where the local farmers will be laughing, knowing that the sport coat they got at Walmart that they wear on top of their overalls when they go to church STILL looks better than his suits do on-air.

Santa…give him help…give him charity...whatever it takes!!! How about a picture of Jim Rosenfield to superimpose on his image?

(and don’t even get me started on his ties…)

OK…no more CBS Santa…SuitSnob is weeping into his Wassail…

Over at FOX5, there is blessed news: Do you see what I see? No picture of Ron Corning!!! Why Santa? Because Ron got through his month of Suit Amnesty with flying colors…the crisis is over Santa… each and every Monday through Thursday he looks fashionable and presentable and he has not buttoned all his buttons in MONTHS! The horrible suit seems to be gone, his ties are all attractive and hung off his collar with care, with no fear that SuitSnob soon will be there. Santa, I might ask for you to give Ronnie some Magic Ties that will forcibly tie themselves on him on Fridays so he drops his Casual Friday bull$#!+ , but SuitSnob has to take his wardrobe improvements as a blessing, and thanks to whoever helped him at Bloomingdales. And get Ron a nice shiny fire truck…he is such a nice boy!

Now wait…wasn’t there another man at Fox who had November Suit Amnesty? Did he improve too?

No Santa. NO!!!!

A BIG lump of coal to Rob Malcolm Santa! Here we have him buttoning the bottom button AND once again wearing a collar that can’t accommodate his gargantuan tie knots all in one sad, misguided outfit that I am sure he thinks makes him look great:

0121207malcolm2.jpg

0121207malcolm3.jpg

If he had a proper spread-collar here, it also would meet the edge of his lapels as well...right now there is a huge gap: Fashion No-No!

Here he is a lovely shot of him sitting with the jacket all buttoned up…

0121207malcolm.jpg

All I Want For Christmas Is A Wool Pinstripe Straightjacket…

Santa, I know Rob thinks he actually has flair and style…and even Yours Truly has claimed he had it all year in spite of this Suit-pidity. Can you please get him some Style this year (which SuitSnob no longer claims he has...)…he doesn’t need any more arrogance-you got him plenty of that last year!

And also at FOX5…Dick Brennan. Santa, this man is so smart, so handsome…so good at what he does…he should be a network star or move to CNN soon. But Santa, if they see him destroying otherwise-snappy outfits by screwing up the line of the suit by bottom-buttoning, how will he ever become Matt Lauer? It even makes this fit and trim man look like he has a gut:

0121207dick01.jpg

Santa, how about a box of Kleenex for Dick’s tailor whose craft has been destroyed?

And then, he wore this suit which SuitSnob has called out previously….

0121207dick02.jpg

All buttoned again…

And again, in close-up:

0121207dick03.jpg

The pattern’s too-tight pinstripes would be fine in the real world, but on-camera they streak in long-shots and look like yucky corduroy in close-ups.

Dick is my hero; smart and sexy. Got that whole Clark Kent thing going. Please Santa, let him get the details right in his on-air attire…PLEASE!!!!

Also (sigh) at FOX5…Santa, this is an easy one:

WILL YOU GET DUKE CASTIGLIONE A @#$%& MIRROR SO HE CAN CHECK HIS &^%$# TIE KNOT BEFORE HE GOES ON-CAMERA?!?!?!?

0121207duke01.jpg

0121207duke02.jpg

0121207duke03.jpg

Santa, could you maybe get Rick Folbaum or Nick Gregory to teach Mr. Sporty how to tie a tie without looking like he did it while drunk?

Santa, this is a gift to those who are not as fashion-savvy as SuitSnob. A look so atrocious that even the uninformed can take pot-shots:

0121207deutz.jpg

Maybe you could let the good boys and girls play a game where they can see HOW MANY THINGS CAN YOU FIND WRONG with this outfit?

Santa…we still have one MORE problem dresser at FOX 5 to look at:

Poor Mike Woods. With his hulking shoulders and tiny waist suits must be hard to find. Santa, maybe this year you can get Mike to get more made-to-measure or bespoke suits? In any case, SuitSnob has wanted to take Mr. Woods to task for THIS monstrosity for a while: The Blazer From Hell:

0121207woods02.jpg

My God Santa…the horrible fit…I have seen windbreakers with more tailoring. And those buttons…and the pants which should coordinate but are so close to the color of the blazer that it clashes…

0121207woods03.jpg

Mike can and does look good frequently. I just don’t understand why he would let himself on-camera wearing such a cheap-looking, ill-fitting garment. Why work out and groom yourself as he does and then put on horrible clothing?

Santa, when you pick up the stuff that Mike needs to send to charity, also please get rid of THIS shirt:

0121207woods01.jpg

I don’t care if it has French cuffs…no way is this shirt intended for a tie.

Santa, let me end with a shot of Marcus Solis who I missed last month in my round up of the best-dressed men on local news. Not only is he always perfectly dressed, he is demonstrating for the Rob Malcoms of the world how a Windsor knot should fit into a proper shirt collar:

0121207Solis.jpg

(Merry Christmas Telly from SuitSnob!)

Yes Santa…let this shot of Marcus Solis be a beacon of hope like the star shining above Bethlehem for the Fashion Faithful. Please let my readers know this is the last major update of 2007, and that Suitsnob will be back in 2008 with a Best of/ Worst of 2007 installment.

Until then…

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!!!

Love and Kisses,

SuitSnob

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: A SuitSnob Christmas Special!!!

Using the short-sleeve white button-down with an ugly tie-wearing missionaries as a guide, I have to say that Mitt is the best-dressed Mormon I have ever seen. Frankly, he's probably the best-dressed amongst the Republican candidates.

Not that I'd vote for him for President or anything silly like that.... ;D

Not that I'd vote for him for President or anything silly like that.... ;D

I didn't say I'd vote for him (can't figure out where he stands on anything; he's flip-flopped so many times)

I promised no full update until 2008...but Jesus Christ on Christmas!!! Ron Corning-I know you do the Casual Friday thing...but COME ON!!! A velvet blazer to do the news this morning?!?!? What is with you, Andre Hepkins and NJ Burkett that makes you think this is acceptable?

Remember SuitSnob's Rule:

If it is not something you would wear to a job interview or that would be appropriate for a funeral, then it is not OK for the formality of the news studio. PERIOD.

(Very nice jacket though and looked great on him-though the accompaning shirt was a bit too dark for it...maybe he was wearing to their Christmas party or something..maybe we'll have screen caps of it in the new year if I can find the ambition....)

Telly! Where have you been? And how DARE you ignore the despicable things that your boy Phil Lipoff has been doing to his poor suits while jumping on the "Let's Attack Ron" bandwagon! ;)

I don't think the outfit was that bad (though the shirt was a tad dark for the jacket) for its own sake..just completely inappropriate for the news studio. Oh, and BTW-forgot to mention...he was wearing JEANS with it!!! (screen caps to come)

C'mon Telly...now be fair and give Phil what he deserves too! And it is just getting worse and worse...he has done the button the bottom two button while unbuttoning the top button several more times and has added a really hideous blue suit with electric blue windowpanes that has a crappy fit and just looks HORRIBLE on him to his wardrobe. (you can bet, screen caps to come of this too!)

And don't get me started again on Don Dahler...every day it is just horror, pure horror....

Telly! Where have you been? And how DARE you ignore the despicable things that your boy Phil Lipoff has been doing to his poor suits while jumping on the "Let's Attack Ron" bandwagon! :)

I don't think the outfit was that bad (though the shirt was a tad dark for the jacket) for its own sake..just completely inappropriate for the news studio. Oh, and BTW-forgot to mention...he was wearing JEANS with it!!! (screen caps to come)

C'mon Telly...now be fair and give Phil what he deserves too! And it is just getting worse and worse...he has done the button the bottom two button while unbuttoning the top button several more times and has added a really hideous blue suit with electric blue windowpanes that has a crappy fit and just looks HORRIBLE on him to his wardrobe. (you can bet, screen caps to come of this too!)

And don't get me started again on Don Dahler...every day it is just horror, pure horror....

Why can't they call Jim and his good suits to anchor 11PM with Dana!?

Suitsnob do you watch Channel 11 news? Last night Jim Watkins looked as sharp as ever but Glenn Thompson, oh my, how scary his color combination (along with his bad hair color).

I don't watch 11 enough...Jim Watkins os so consistant that I don't really bother. Who is Glenn Thompson? Can't place him.

Arthur has some nice pieces, but there are times he breaks the rule that one should only wear two patterns between the suit, shirt and tie. He only needs a moderate SuitSnob Intervention-he still gets points for at least trying to dress a bit above-average and wearing high-quality garments.

A Note from SuitSnob:

Children, Fashion Faithful and Others...

With the new software SuitSnob is finding it difficult do do his usual posting, as it only allows 4 images per post-just about impossible for little ol' me! So, I had a MAMMOTH post ready to go (as it has been a month since the last one) which I will now have to break up into many, many segements. I hope your need to see the Fashion Follies gives you a great deal of patience to bear with me!

Happy New Year, My Children! 2008 has arrived and like magic all of the Fashion Disasters have been left behind in 2007!

NOT!!!

Suitsnob intended to start the year off with a Best of/ Worst of list, but what with all the subbing going on over Christmas and some of the men sporting all-new accessories these is just too much new “material” to ignore.

Let’s start off with a bang with the ongoing Phil Lipoff Disaster. First of all, it must be noted that he seems to have returned to natty Half-Windsor knots on occasion. Unfortunately, it is not enough to offset to pure, unadulterated hell of his Suitcoat Buttoning Protocols:

010707lipp01.jpg

Even when wearing an absolutely smashing suit/shirt/tie/ pocket square combo, all the coordination and tailoring continues to go to the wayside as his nice, navy pinstripe suit becomes a veritable straightjacket on him. And that is just a TWO button suit….note the tragedy of him ONCE AGAIN buttoning the bottom two buttons while leaving the top open:

010707lippboobs.jpg

Is it just me, or does it look like he has the huge, sagging boobs of a 60 year-old morbidly obese woman here?

This is where I wish I had the faculty to post on YouTube. In this sequence you can see him yanking on his jacket TWICE trying to feel comfortable as it (of course) bunches up:

010707lipp2.jpg

010707lipp3.jpg

This is just sad. If it’s true that WABC yelled at Adorable Jeff Smith for those perfectly innocent shots I posted of him in that tight pair of pants last year, then how can they ignore Phil continuing to make a jackass out of himself; not only on weekend mornings when no one is watching but also when subbing on the Prime Time broadcast?

To be continued...

OK, let’s get the Don Dahler Bashing out of the way. Please understand that this is merely a representative sample, for were I to post and comment on how poorly he dressed on a daily basis I would have to quit my job.

The last few weeks have been particularly terrible, with him subbing on many broadcasts. Oh the horror…the horror…

OK, here we see that he has now joined Phil Lipoff and has graduated from buttoning all buttons to only buttoning the bottom two while leaving the top undone. As a reader mailed me in a private message: “HOW can they think this looks right?”

010707dahler02.jpg

Let’s take a look at one of his really attractive ties!

010707dahler01.jpg

I really, REALLY pray that one was not a Christmas gift…I would hate to think that he had someone in his family that hated his guts THAT much!

More to come...:)

OK, just for the all-too-often-AWOL TellyGenic…

As promised, Ron Corning in the velvet blazer:

010707Corning01.jpg

010707corning02.jpg

Now, SuitSnob disagrees with his esteemed colleague Telly. Telly thinks it is a bad piece, but SuitSnob thinks it would be a great piece for a party or casual event-just COMPLETELY incorrect for reporting news, especially in the morning. Doesn’t it just scream out “evening wear?” (I think the shirt is a shade too dark for it as well)

And, as previously reported, he wore it with JEANS!!!

010707corning03.jpg

The Gospel choir was singing a tune called “Thank You Jesus, Ron Isn’t Wearing That Damn Plaid Suit Anymore-Hallelujah!!!”

To be fair, I am posting a shot of how Ron now looks 99% of the time on Mondays through Thursdays-absolutely well-tailored and coordinated, handsome and professional:

010707corning04.jpg

Nice suit-perfectly tailored…French cuffs…nice patterned, conservative tie that looks good on camera. Ron, you have come a LONG way Baby…you now USUALLY dress at a level equal with your talent. SuitSnob is SO proud of you!

Still more to come...:)

Archived