Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: FOX5 and CBS2 Disaster Mini-Update

Going to the other gender, what about this?

Jennifer Jordan tonight in a sliver reflective top and skirt with bright studio lights =

snapshot20070626cw1.th.jpg :)

Are these people blind or something? Maybe it's just me, but that pic looks like ... well, something a person would sleep in and not be seen in outside of their own house.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: FOX5 and CBS2 Disaster Mini-Update

I did indeed, SS. I wasn't thrilled with the yellow silk squares tie he wore on Saturday night, but the rest of the upgrade was excellent. He's clearly getting grooming lessons from Bill Evans, who dresses in a very similar style....

One could do a hell of a lot worse than Bill Evans. Mr. G for instance...

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: FASHION 911!!!!!!!!

Lee Goldberg is also cute! Plus he is a real weather man, a great dresser, and has a great personality.

Suit Snob have you ever complained about how Lee dresses?

Suit Snob have you ever complained about how Lee dresses?

Never NEVER NEVER!!!! Who am I to complain about the best-dressed man on local TV, if not one of the best-dressed men in New York City?!?!?

cap519-1.jpg

That shot of Lee must have been a while ago because I have never seen him wear a vest under his jacket. Do you know when that was?

It's at least a year old...he has about 4 or 5 three-piece suits and looks SPECTACULAR in all of them. Three-piece suits are particularly great for weathermen because they stand and do so much movement as they report...this way they can keep the suit coat unbuttoned and still keep their tie under control; though I think he is the only local weatherman besides John Elliot that wears one.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Ritter decided to color coordinate tonight. For the six o'clock broadcast he donned a blue tie and for the 11 o'clock he switched to a light green tie to match with Sade's suit.

OK, OK...I finally get it...the joke's on me I guess...

All along I have wondered "how in hell can Ron Corning be on TV every morning in a large market and look like a complete douchebag?" and now I finally realise:

It is all a practical joke!!! It is a sick practical joke!!! All along he has just been doing this as a satire of poor business dress!!!

Such as:

Frequent Infraction #1: Dressing like a slob while reading hard news

First we have dapper Reid Lamberty, the epitome of style and dignity introducing the story....

082807earth1.jpg

Who passes the story on to Ron, who decided to go casual to report on an earthquake that killed masses of people!!!

082807earth2.jpg

He is such a rebel!!! Every man on every station in America wears a tie when reporting from the studio-but not Our Ronnie! Hysterical satire!!!

Then he tickles our funnybone by wearing a casual sports shirt with a formal pinstripe suit!!!

082807corn1.jpg

Frequent Infraction #2: Buttoning all buttons of his suit coat

What guy would NOT want to feel all confined while sitting? Let's constrict ourselves for fun and giggles!

082807corn6.jpg

082807corn8.jpg

How could this not be fun to have to sqirm in one's suit while sitting?

Frequent Infraction #3: Wearing the single worst suit of any on-camera male talent in town

It's really amazing what you can find to wear at a 99cent store!

My God this suit is butt-ugly, and he wears it at least once a week.

Let's take a close-up look at the festive, detailed pattern that looks like a couch in the waiting room at the Free Clinic!

082807corn4.jpg

And note its lightweight constuction that allows for ease of wrinkling and buckling!!!

082807corn3.jpg

082807corn2.jpg

All joking aside, this man is a disgrace and is just getting worse and worse. I just can't believe they allow him on air looking like this. I think we should all chip in and get him a gift certificate to Goodwill so he can dig through the charity bin and find something better to wear. Honest to God, does Fox5 not pay him? Is he like an intern?

And now of course there is Ron's Fox5 partner in sartorial issues...yes boys and girls-again we explore the continued issue of The Tie Knot That Took Over the Fox Five Studio...I present Rob Malcolm!!!!

First, THE GOOD

Finally, he wears a few shirts with collars appropriate for a large knot:

082807malcc.jpg

082807malcpink.jpg

(Collar and knot are OK here...but what is with that pocket square? Did he steal a napkin from the Ladies' Tea Room at Bergdorff's?)

Then,THE BAD

082807malchuge.jpg

Not a bad combo..but JESUS how in hell does one even speak with that gargantuan mass of silk under the larynx? EEEK!

And last, THE UGLY!!!

I really want to appreciate the fact that he puts so much effort into accessorising...but...

082807malc.jpg

I don't even think that collar could accomodate a four-in-hand knot!

Rob...poor Rob. So damn handsome and so much flair. Just fix the damn details!!!

And now a few random drive-by "suitings":

Reid Lamberty: Keep your damn jacket on while reading the news from the newsroom or at least find out who starches Jim Rosenfield's (who always manages to pull this off) shirts, it doesn't look professional to look wrinkled. I present two examples:

082807reid1.jpg

082807reid2.jpg

Chris Wragge: Everyone's favorite punching bag and current tabloid darling's new tramp must have bought this horrendous tie for him...how else could you explain the fact that he has worn this horrid abuse of silk TWICE in the last week?

082807wraggs.jpg

I AM BLINDED!!!

Another John Di Di-saster! Perfect suit and shirt, damn handsome mug...UGLY TIE!!!!

082807disc.jpg

Now let me end on a positive note...

First, the sometimes on/ sometimes off Lonnie Quinn delivers another Perfect 10 this week:

082807lonnie.jpg

And just to show the Sartorial Slobs how it is done with professionalism and flair...the best-dressed man on local news-Lee Goldberg, who looks better on his worst day than most men look on their best day:

082807lee.jpg

Ahh...Lee's a breath of fesh air!

Until next time, my little Suities!!!!

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: The Usual Slobs and Suspects...

I think the shirt that Lee is wearing is more of a casual one. But he still looks nice. I have seen some weather men were no jacket sometimes which looks ok. I don't think I ever saw Lee with no jacket on even when there is Breaking weather. A couple of times Bill takes his jacket off for breaking weather or during weather for GMA.

I think the shirt that Lee is wearing is more of a casual one. But he still looks nice. I have seen some weather men were no jacket sometimes which looks ok. I don't think I ever saw Lee with no jacket on even when there is Breaking weather. A couple of times Bill takes his jacket off for breaking weather or during weather for GMA.

No...not casual at all...it even had French cuffs.

OK, OK...I finally get it...the joke's on me I guess...

All along I have wondered "how in hell can Ron Corning be on TV every morning in a large market and look like a complete douchebag?" and now I finally realise:

It is all a practical joke!!! It is a sick practical joke!!! All along he has just been doing this as a satire of poor business dress!!!

Such as:

Frequent Infraction #1: Dressing like a slob while reading hard news

First we have dapper Reid Lamberty, the epitome of style and dignity introducing the story....

082807earth1.jpg

Who passes the story on to Ron, who decided to go casual to report on an earthquake that killed masses of people!!!

082807earth2.jpg

He is such a rebel!!! Every man on every station in America wears a tie when reporting from the studio-but not Our Ronnie! Hysterical satire!!!

Then he tickles our funnybone by wearing a casual sports shirt with a formal pinstripe suit!!!

082807corn1.jpg

Frequent Infraction #2: Buttoning all buttons of his suit coat

What guy would NOT want to feel all confined while sitting? Let's constrict ourselves for fun and giggles!

082807corn6.jpg

082807corn8.jpg

How could this not be fun to have to sqirm in one's suit while sitting?

Frequent Infraction #3: Wearing the single worst suit of any on-camera male talent in town

It's really amazing what you can find to wear at a 99cent store!

My God this suit is butt-ugly, and he wears it at least once a week.

Let's take a close-up look at the festive, detailed pattern that looks like a couch in the waiting room at the Free Clinic!

082807corn4.jpg

And note its lightweight constuction that allows for ease of wrinkling and buckling!!!

082807corn3.jpg

082807corn2.jpg

All joking aside, this man is a disgrace and is just getting worse and worse. I just can't believe they allow him on air looking like this. I think we should all chip in and get him a gift certificate to Goodwill so he can dig through the charity bin and find something better to wear. Honest to God, does Fox5 not pay him? Is he like an intern?

Ron Corning dresses like a frat boy at his first grown-up job. He did better when he was on ABC Overnight, when no one was watching. Disgraceful.

Then,THE BAD

082807malchuge.jpg

Not a bad combo..but JESUS how in hell does one even speak with that gargantuan mass of silk under the larynx? EEEK!

I saw him anchor one weekend as he was horrible! His outfit made him even more stiff than usual.

What about WCBS future new main anchor, Don Dahler, has he passed your test, Suit?

He has FAILED the SuitSnob Test! Watch this thread for details on my next update!!!

It was the vest of times...it was the worst of times...

Where shall I begin?

How about with the most-recent question:

What about WCBS future new main anchor, Don Dahler, has he passed your test, Suit?

Again, the answer is NO! On his first day, he looked pretty good suit-wise. But then came Saturday:

09dan.jpg

Note how miserable and uncomfortable he looks in his Big Boy Clothes. Pure suffering. Note how the laplels are riding up while seated and also the back of the jacket is being forced above the shirt collar.

And WHY Boys and Girls?!?!?

09dan02.jpg

The #1 SuitSnob Pet Peeve: He has buttoned all the buttons of his suit coat. Where the hell do the local stations find so many men who don't know to dress themselves before being broadcast into millions of living rooms?

This is a perfect seque to Lonnie Quinn who ONCE AGAIN buttoned all the way:

09lonniebad.jpg

That particular jacket doesn't even look good with ONE button buttoned.

But, Lonnie has shown some improvement...here for the first time he wears a smaller knot with a small, non-spread collar instead of a bulky Windsor knot. I am not too crazy about the tie itself, but must give him kudos for paying attention to his appearance on that particular day:

09lonniebetter.jpg

And then some days Lonnie just looks Esquire-level perfect:

09lonniegreat.jpg

Why can't you pull this off every day Lonnie? We only watch you because you are pretty-be PRETTY!!!

Now, here's a new issue to the coulmn...I believe the technical term is "Streaking?" It's when they wear patterns that are too tight and it causes havoc on the screen when broadcast, particulalry with the older tube-style TVs. This has happened recently to both Andre Hepkins and Marvel Scott:

09andrestreak.jpg

09marvelstreak.jpg

These looked much worse on the live feed as when they move it causes the image and light to distort. Guys: Test new suits with tight patterns on-camera before you wear them live on-air.

More to come!

Part 2: The usual suspects.

OK, now to our regular Suit Disasters.

First off, FOX5 continues to dumb-down the news by lowering standards of prefessional dress. How do Ernie and Nick manage to be perfect 99.286% of the time in the middle of this madness?

We even see generally well-dressed Andre Hepkins and almost always well-dressed Reid Lamberty falling into this trap:

09foxslob01.jpg

Why wear a formal suit, French cuffs and a pocket square and lose the tie?

09foxsloob2.jpg

Great outfit for a casual affair, but the man is reporting at Ground Zero.

And then there is our buddy Rob Malcolm(Rob honey...SuitSnob is only so mean because he CARES!) . It's so hard to be disappointed in his riddiculously casual attire when he looks so damn sexy, BUT:

09foxslob03.jpg

Then this is fun...look at Joe Cool doing his beat reporting (does the shirt remind you of a McDonald's uniform Circa '75?):

09malcomcasual.jpg

But then he managed to suit-up for his live feed:

09malcomsuitedup.jpg

(I like some componants of this outfit separately...but not together. Of course the tie knot is too big...blah, blah, blah...)

Once a week at least Disaster First Class Ass Ron Corning continues to wear his tissue-paper and polyester suit he got off of the floor of the Bayonne Salvation Army:

09ron.jpg

Just look how lumpy the shoulders are...absolutely no structure to the jacket at all. Sad.

Oh, and new to the thread is Sean Hennesey, who seriously needs a wardrobe upgrade if he is going to continue to anchor. You can get away with more in the field...but an anchor just has too much focus on his upper body.

Two big problems here...first of all, wearing a very narrow point collar from JC Penny that really is not good for a tie knot:

09Sean.jpg

And then MY GOD!!! That is one lopsided-assed tie knot! Do these guys ever think about giving themselves a once-over before the cameras go on? Not just for sartorial reasons...maybe a stray booger in the nose or a bit of spinach in the teeth? What is wrong with these people?

Then everyone's favorite whipping boy Chris Wragge hasn't worn that grotesque tie in a bit (thank God) but what is with this outfit?

09christutti.jpg

Was he going to a costume party as a bowl of Tutti-Frutti after the broadcast? Looks like he should be reading the news in Vegas, Baby!!!! And look how wrinkled the arms are...was he having a romp in the dressing room before the broadcast with his new ladyfriend?

Here he is rather shocked to be dressing like a REAL anchor:

09chrisdecent.jpg

And last, though certainly not least...the Prince of the Weekend Suit-Wearers, Phil Lipoff. Here he shows how nicely-tailored his ventless gray pinstripe suit is while testing a mattress Telly, this is just for you!):

09philmattress2.jpg

Mmm....looks good to me!!! Keep up the good work Phil!!!!

Men of New York News: Learn how to dress or find yourself here!!!!

Love and Kisses,

SuitSnob

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: New Anchor Already in Trouble and Other Crimes

You know, it's amazing: Every single anchor I saw today whether in the studio or live at Ground Zero was dressed as if for a funeral-very muted and dark (even flashy Ken Rosato). What was Ron Corning wearing at the site? You guessed it-his super-ugly, informal, lightweight, light grey plaid, wrinled/ rumpled ugliset-suit-of-any-man-on-local-news suit. I made my feelings known about the to-do at the site today in another thread, but COME ON! If you are going to be there at least respect the occasion by attiring yourself appropriately.

OK, I need to be gossipy here...who is the FOX5 manager he is boffing to be able to get away with this?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived