Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: Rick Folbaum (And Most of the Fox5 Anchors)

I know Smith came down from the Albany affiliate - that might explain his not-ready-for-Gotham wardrobe. Look how long Charles Perez held on to that dreadful "Miami" look - he never got the memo.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I thought Charles Perez looked very good at the anchor desk, and was the one of the only men on local news who really knew how to pull off a Full Windsor Knot. Though he tended to look dreadful when trying to look casual when reporting in the field.

In other news, Ron Corning wore a terrific suit, shirt and tie while reporting on Fox at 11. Of course, he stood there looking like ass with all of his suitcoat buttons buttoned. And as he spoke he casually tried to put his hands in his pockets but had a hard time. Why? Because the coat is constructed assuming the bottom button will not be buttoned, and when you do it makes the jacket too tight across the lower abdomen thus limiting freedom of movement and pocket access. MEN OF FOX5(Besides pitch-perfect Ernie Ansatos): LEARN to DRESS!!!

There was also a HUGE fashion disaster starring the usually well-appointed Andre Hepkins this weekend. I haven't done a screen-cap yet...stay tuned!

Now come on - it's hard for the portly man to find a decent wardrobe outside of NYC....

In other news, Suitsnob - what's your opinion of on-air personalities who show too much? Specificaly, I'm talking about WABC's new weatherboy Jeff Smith. He did a remote on Sunday morning from a golf show, and took off his jacket to show off his swing. He was wearing a light-colored, almost yellow suit, and between the absence of a jacket and his twisting his torso to swing, his trouser snake was quite visible in HD. He's got some nice equipment (and I'm not talking golf clubs) but probably not the best idea to show it off so early on a Sunday morning.

In fact, when he did the weather in-studio Sunday at 6, he'd changed into a dark blue suit - I wonder if I wasn't the only one to notice him showing off his five wood.

Anyone have any caps of that?

Sorry I wasn't able to get a screen cap, but maybe someone still has Saturday's Fox5 6pm broadcast on tape?

Anyway...the usualy stunningly dapper Andre Hepkins wore a BLUE VELVET BLAZER to report a story from the studio, and we are not talking a subtle blue...it was electric blue...I couldn't believe it. Who the hell at Fox keeps letting their male anchors and reporters look so damn unprofessional?

Here is your Freindly Fox5 Fashion Update!!!

It was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

Best: Reid Lamberty joins the staff this week, one of the best-dressed men in local news. Bound to help matters.

Other good news: Rick Folbaum managed to go one day without buttoning the bottom button of his suit coat!!!

folbaumfinally.jpg

Allright Ricky, you are growing up..can potty-training be far behind?

On the Worst List, let's see what Ron Corning inflicted on an unsuspecting viewing audience last week:

corningmafia.jpg

I honestly cannot believe they let him on the air like this. Did he get that shirt at a JCPenny's Clearance Sale? If he is going to look that awful, why bother brushing his hair or shaving?

And after last week's disaster with the blue velvet sportcoat, the usually dapper Andre Hekins hit a perfect "10" with an ensemble last week:

hepkinsDapper.jpg

Beautifully tailored and elegant three-piece conservative suit set off by a shocking pink tie and striped French-cuffed shirt. Had he worn this shirt and tie with any other suit it might have been too much, but the charcoal grey vested suit (not to mention the high-quality overcoat) keep it in check. Absolutely stunning.

Speaking of stunning and Andre, as I promised TellGenic here are a few shots of Andre field reporting when a wind blew up the front of his suit coat letting the world see what a great job his tailor did on his pants. I always knew Andre was one of the biggest talents in the business!

hepkinshung03.jpg

hepkinshung02.jpg

hepkinshung01.jpg

Well, this thread has gotten over 1300 hits, so obviously someone other than you.

Is this statement clear enough, or should I draw you a diagram?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello out there in New York TV Newsland!!! Here is you latest update of fashion triumphs and disasters at that little station on Channel 5:

First off, the bad news...after a brief respite, Rick Folbaum is back to dorking it up buttoning all the buttons on his suit coat (sigh)

folbaumdorkier.jpg

So sad. So stiff.

Ron Corning is still fluctuating between Dapper Dan and Dingy Dog...here is one of his better days, a bit fashion-forward, but he can get away with that on the morning show:

corningside.jpg

He wore a grey plaid suit today that I have seen on him before...very lightweight material and a plaid pattern...so stylish, IF IT WAS STILL 1995!!! Ron, retire that suit...did you originally buy it for your high school graduation?

On the Above Reproach List, Reid Lamberty has landed at Fox5 with his incredible on-air presence and one of the best wardobes of any news personality in town:

reidreturns1.jpg

reidreturns2.jpg

He has taken to wearing jaunty, well-coordinated pocket squares, something he never wore at CBS2. I wonder if they have a dress code there that forbids it? I don't think I have ever seen a man over there wear one. In any case, good to have you back on the air Reid; you are a credit to on-air journalism and the art of men's fashion.

Until next time, hugs and kisses from The Fashion Nazi!!!

Guest Junk Junk

Question: do you actually watch the news to see the NEWS?

Just axin'...

:(

Buttoned down Suit (tie and all) and a pair of jeans is the biggest faux pas ever, regardless of where anyone is. I say keep it simple, unbuttoned suits, nothing too jarring colorwise and it's all good. Andre Hepkins needs to lay off the pink though, too fruity.

Question: do you actually watch the news to see the NEWS?

Just axin'...

Haha, good question... :D

Guest Junk Junk

I enjoy SuitSnob's thread immensely - and given that these are on-camera personalities, what he says is extremely valid.

I've enjoyed his threads as well. I just think it's funny that all of his threads (get it? threads, clothes, ha ha :D) are about fashion - period. But to each his own...

Buttoned down Suit (tie and all) and a pair of jeans is the biggest faux pas ever, regardless of where anyone is. I say keep it simple, unbuttoned suits, nothing too jarring colorwise and it's all good. Andre Hepkins needs to lay off the pink though, too fruity.

Generally I'd say lay off the pink on pink, but he muted it nicely with the three-piece.

I enjoy SuitSnob's thread immensely - and given that these are on-camera personalities, what he says is extremely valid.

I've enjoyed his threads as well. I just think it's funny that all of his threads (get it? threads, clothes, ha ha :p) are about fashion - period. But to each his own...

:)

Go back and look through the archives...I have made quite a few comments on other aspects of the broadcasts and hirings/ firings as well. :D

Here's a thought:

When I see a topic that I potentialy think will NOT interest me, do you know what I do?

I DON'T CLICK ON IT!!!

Please share with us your brilliant contributions to this forum!

Archived