Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: All Over the Dial

And finaly-the worst Suit EVER on local news!!! Shame on Phil Lipoff!!!!

061807LipoffFireman.jpg

The shirt does NOT go with that two-toned jacket!!! And he is all covered with soot!!!! And where in hell is his TIE?!?!?

(OK...I just lifted this for TellyGenic's fantasies. Don't go starting a fire in your bedroom in hopes of him showing up Telly!)

Class Dismissed!

uh its called making your standup a little more interesting

And finaly-the worst Suit EVER on local news!!! Shame on Phil Lipoff!!!!

061807LipoffFireman.jpg

The shirt does NOT go with that two-toned jacket!!! And he is all covered with soot!!!! And where in hell is his TIE?!?!?

(OK...I just lifted this for TellyGenic's fantasies. Don't go starting a fire in your bedroom in hopes of him showing up Telly!)

Class Dismissed!

Thanks SuitSnob. But firemen fantasies don't do it for me - maybe I got too spooked by the Peter Braunstein case.

I do notice, however, that Phil likes to play dress up. He did a segment outside the studio a few weekends ago about motorcycles and got himself all done up in the leather jacket...

SuitSnob, have you done anything pertaining to the guys at WNBC?

I don't usually watch WNBC...do they need some help over there?

SuitSnob, have you done anything pertaining to the guys at WNBC?

I don't usually watch WNBC...do they need some help over there?

I'm in the Hampton Roads market. I was just curious because the entire time, I have yet to see someone from that station on this thread.

Were you sure to give him a lap dance while singing "Cool Rider" from Grease 2?

Now, that's a little uncalled-for.... at least here at the forum.... :-\

Were you sure to give him a lap dance while singing "Cool Rider" from Grease 2?

Now, that's a little uncalled-for.... at least here at the forum.... :-\

I'll try to remember how sensitive you are next time you request screen shots of a reporter's crotch!!!!

Going to the other gender, what about this?

Jennifer Jordan tonight in a sliver reflective top and skirt with bright studio lights =

snapshot20070626cw1.th.jpg :D

I was thinking the same thing. What are the people in NY thinking when they hire these people?

Lest anyone else think that it is EVER acceptable to button the bottom button of a suitcoat, here is a link to a file on YouTube with several of the world's top suit designers all emphatically saying NEVER to button it. So why are there so many dumb-ass men on local news who can't seem to figure this out and leaving poor, innocent me to incessantly bring it to their attention?

Thanks SuitSnob. But firemen fantasies don't do it for me - maybe I got too spooked by the Peter Braunstein case.

I do notice, however, that Phil likes to play dress up. He did a segment outside the studio a few weekends ago about motorcycles and got himself all done up in the leather jacket...

Hey Telly..did you catch Saturday Morning's broadcast? There was a Gay designer on who blatantly flirted with Phil (who was looking particularly snappy). I can't say I blame the guy for putting his Queer Eye on the Straight Guy.

Hey Telly..did you catch Saturday Morning's broadcast? There was a Gay designer on who blatantly flirted with Phil (who was looking particularly snappy). I can't say I blame the guy for putting his Queer Eye on the Straight Guy.

I caught that, SS - that was Robert Verdi, who usually does the commentary on Full Frontal Fashion, when the tent shows are done in Bryant Park. I thought the flirting was mutual, actually - after all, Phil did admit to putting his pocket square into his jacket because he knew Verdi was going to be on that particular segment - and the square was gone when he came back after the commercial! Very funny....

I caught that, SS - that was Robert Verdi, who usually does the commentary on Full Frontal Fashion, when the tent shows are done in Bryant Park. I thought the flirting was mutual, actually - after all, Phil did admit to putting his pocket square into his jacket because he knew Verdi was going to be on that particular segment - and the square was gone when he came back after the commercial! Very funny....

I thouhgt that pocket square business was hysterical..and was suprised that he removed it..he wears one 70% of the time any way.

Is it just me, or does he get more and more attractive every week?

• 2 weeks later...

OK Boys and Girls...here is our new Fashion Round-up!!!

Legend tells of a Fashion Black Hole that hovers under the Fox5 Studio. Men who seem to have style fall into this hole seemingly to no concern from the Fox5 management. The noble Sartorial Warrior Reid Lamberty was on CBS2 for many seasons without a hint of a Sartorial Slip, then falls into the Fox5 Black Hole within a month of arriving...the generally dapper Rob Malcolm goes from slick suits and ties to complete slobdom within months as well; one starts to wonder if FOX5 tells their talent to dress poorly on purpose-perhaps to seem to be the "common-man" news? Only Ernie Anastos, Nick Gregory, Andre Hepkins and Charles Leaf manage to avoid the Fashion Black Hole at FOX 100% of the time. Here are the unlucky ones:

First of all we got to the ridiculous Ron Corning (what would a fashion disaster update be without him?) who as usual hits the highest highs and the lowest lows. SuitSnob is feeling almost charitable today...let's star by showing Ronnie on days where he miraculously manages to put together an ensemble of a well-fitting suit, shirt and tie together (it REALLY isn't that HARD people!!!):

071607Corning05.jpg

071607Corning06.jpg

071607Corning07.jpg

071607Corning10.jpg

Here we have this handsome, charming man who is so talented...and he dresses for success to enhance it. Why can he not do this every day?

Here is our transitional shot...looks professional, not so sure about this tie though: :D

071607Corning09.jpg

And now for his BAD suit days (Fashion-sensitive, you are warned...it is NOT pretty!):

071607Corning03.jpg

Do we call this a neat tie knot? How in the hell between the makeup person, producer and cameraman does no one not notice and say "Ron, fix your damn tie!"

Later on, same day...same suit...he once again buttons all buttons:

071607Corning04.jpg

And to save the worst for last, he commits a triple-play!!!

1) Wears the single ugliest shirt I have ever seen on a man on any newscast anywhere.

2) Takes the suitcoat from his worst suit (the REALLY ugly Herringbone pattern with the too-narrow lapels that looks like crap on him) to wear as a blazer.

3) Pairs the suitcoat with jeans.

(Deep Breath) OK, here we go:

071607Corning01.jpg

071607Corning02.jpg

Confidential to the FOX5 Management:

Why do you allow your on-air talent to dress so poorly? Do you want viewers to think that you don't pay them enough and they are forced to shop at thrift stores? Your other lead anchors Ernie Anastos, Reid Lamberty(except for the rumpled suit disaster reported previously) and (on days when he doesn't button all the damn buttons on his suitcoat) Rick Folbaum always look neat, attractive and professional on-air; why does Mr. Corning get a pass to look like an ass?

Confidential to Ron Corning's personal management:

Do you realize that your client is on-air in the most competitive TV market in the country and is viewed by top executives from all major networks that live in the area looking worse than the guy doing the Farm Report at the Decorah Iowa station? Why not splurge and get the man a fashion consultant to go through his wardrobe and trash the old suits and ugly shirts and buy him a damn paperback copy of "Dress for Success?"

http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-New-Dress-Success/dp/0446385522/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6679494-8337726?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184695651&sr=1-1

(Deep Breath) SuitSnob got that out of his system...now onto another Fox5 Suit Disaster: Rob Malcolm.

When Mr. Malcolm first started SuitSnob was quite impressed. He had high-quality/well-tailored suits, and impeccable taste in shirts and accessories. And it must be added: He is handsome as hell.

But over the last few weeks, his suits are few and far between. I have no idea why they are letting him report looking so casual and sloppy. And no, it wasn't the heat wave on the nights these were taken....in any case Andre Hepkins (a personal favorite BTW), Charles Leaf and Mike Sheehan were all suited up reporting on the same broadcasts. And mind you, Mr. Malcolm was not reporting soft news on all of these-one of these stories was on terrorism:

071607Malcom02.jpg

071607Malcom03.jpg

071607Malcom06.jpg

I'll lie to myself and say this was OK because he was reporting on a rock concert, but the real reason I approve is because he get to see those damn biceps!!!!

malcolm.jpg

OK...so then he's worn a few suits this week and you would think that The Evil SuitSnob would be pleased. But, alas...Mr. Malcolm is still missing the Brass Ring of Perfection by messing up the details. He is still wearing thick tie knots with shirt collars that are not designed for them:

071607Malcom05.jpg

As you will note, the knot is (once again) forcing the points of the shirt collar away from the shirt...so far in fact that you can see it cast a shadow on the front of the shirt. The knot is so damn big it's actually forcing the top of the collar up towards his chin making his neck look smaller. No guy wants it to appear as if they have no neck unless they are auditioning to play a Mafia thug.

Speaking of Mafia....

Now THIS one REALLY shocked poor old SuitSnob:

071607Malcom04.jpg

MATCHING the tie and pocket square EXACTLY?!?!?! MAJOR Fashion Faux-Pas!!!!

Confidential to Rob Malcolm:

1) Stop allowing yourself to be seen reporting hard news looking anything less than professional. You never know who might be scouting you.

2) You have great panache and style and a terrific wardrobe...don't sell yourself short by getting the small details wrong. Better to be Charles Leaf and dress conservatively but always appropriately than go for a bit of flash (which you certainly have the flair to pull off) and fall short. Only wear wide, spread-collar shirts if you want to continue wearing ultra-large knots or use a half-Windsor. And (this is for EVERYONE) Never, EVER match a tie and pocket square exactly!

One last item on the FOX5 list...though this one cannot be blamed on the Fashion Black Hole (this goes back to CBS2).

Yes, Duke Castiglione, it's YOUR turn!!!! You may have flown below the radar but guess what Buddy? You are now the LEAD sports anchor and better, what is it you sports boys say..."up your game?"

SuitSnob tends to be more lenient towards sports reporters than the rest of the male staff. But Duke has a chronic problem of sloppy, lopsided tie knots that needs to be fixed:

071607Duke1.jpg

071607Duke2.jpg

Duke, take five seconds to fix your damn tie before going on-air! I also might suggest switching to a half-Windsor...they don't slip so much, have better symmetry and would fit better in your shirt collars.

Poor Suitsnob is exhausted from teetering on the edge of the Fox5 Fashion Black Hole....let him take a DEEP breath before continuing...

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: FOX5 Fashion Black Hole

OK...here is our brief round-up from elsewhere on the dial:

First, once again Jeff Smith needs someone to go shopping with him...even Helen Keller would be helpful at this point:

071607jeff.jpg

Seriously Dude...where does one find ties THAT ugly? And what is that shirt color supposed to be...the shade of Wrigley's Big Red Gum? You are a terrifc talent, you are good looking and charming; why do you sell yourself so short wearing cheap suits and ugly accessories? You might as well go on camera with no make-up, spinach in your teeth and hat hair. Once again (AGAIN) go to one of the better men's stores in town and they will be happy to help you find suits, shirts and accessories that befit your position. Look, you are sitting next to Phil Lipoff who is among the best-dressed men in town...step up!!!

Oft-maligned Lonnie Quinn has been dissed elsewhere on this forum. Let me give him a mixed suit review....first, the bad:

071607lonnie1.jpg

Same issue as Rob Malcolm...too large of a tie knot in the wrong collar.

But then...magic happens. Lonnie achieves Suited Perfection...every aspect comes into place.

071607lonnie2.jpg

It's all in the details!

Hate to dis one of my favorite reporters in town...but if it is true that Brendan Keefe is going to be anchoring from the studio, he needs to keep his wardrobe in check:

07160.jpg

Not only has he commited the unpardonable sin of buttoning the bottom button, but his suitcoat is a bit too short. Fire your tailor!

(Let it be known that generally Brendan is a very solid dresser).

And last but not least, we have another one of Jon Discepollo's ugly ties to make us ponder how these men can live in the fashion capital of the world and not only allow themselves to be seen on-camera looking this way, but how management can allow them on-air.

0716.jpg

Until next time!!!

Re: Male Fashion Disasters: FOX5 Fashion Black Hole

Well there Suity.....not sure what to say. I mean, we love ya, but I think a multi-paragraph rant about suits is going just a bit too far.

Keep up with the "bulge shots" and short commentaries though. ;)

Oh please..you are seeing the EDITED version!!! I could write a damn book!!!

(I would never be so crass as to point this out...but you might notice that one of the shots of Rob Malcolm I posted has a nice Bulge Shot...best keep this info just between us, OK?)

Archived