Male Fashion Disasters

SuitSnob

Speaking of just basic, nice dressing…I am giving my first shout-out to John Krasting who has moved from the Siberia of My9 to subbing on Fox5. This guy is a perfect model of basic, professional dress that I could use in a textbook:

010707krasting.jpg

1) Nice, solid suit tailored to his body.

2) Attractive tie, yet not too distracting.

3) Shirt and collar fit well and can accommodate tie knot.

4) And always has nice, shiny shoes (not pictured!)

Does he wear super-expensive designer duds? No. Flashes of flair such as a pocket square or French Cuffs? No. Just solid, professional dress-it’s that easy.

While I am feeling charitable, let’s show a nice shot of Rob Malcolm who started off the New Year by managing to look flashy (check out the slick pocket silk) while wearing the correct shirt collar for his huge tie knot and not buttoning all the buttons on his suit coat:

010707malcom.jpg

WAY TO GO ROB!!! (Of course he has been going suit-less for 90% of the broadcasts lately…the Curse of Fox5!)

Also, damn if Lonnie Quinn didn’t get some great new shirts and ties from Santa:

010707lonnie01.jpg

010707lonnie02.jpg

WOOF WOOF!!! Mr. Blonde is looking HOT!

Even MORE to come...:)

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how about John Dicepollo? He got some nifty new ties, and better yet…looks like someone got him CUFFLINKS for Christmas! Here is “sporting” French Cuffs along with a tie that does not make my eyes bleed:

010707dicep01.jpg

Another day with nifty, natty French Cuffs, and look at his nice suit/ shirt/ tie combo…Remember men: when on TV the less of a pattern, the better…solids can do great things for you…

010707dicep02.jpg

Ok, back to the bad…check out Dr. Jay Adlersberg’s coat here:

010707adlers.jpg

Is there a doctor in the house; this is giving me a migraine! You should have seen this thing streaking on my tube!!!

Still even MORE to come...SUFFER!!!:)

And on to Marvel Scott. SuitSnob actually was within 5 feet of him at a diner in Times Square recently…You have no idea how magnetic and handsome this guy is in person-we are talking movie star here. We have seen him in shorts and a tank top doing a demo on a broadcast before, so we know he probably has the best body of any man on local news. All this man needs is a Style Consultant to bring his wardrobe up to the level of the rest of him.

First of all, look at this shirt and tie combo. Seriously Marvel, was there a sale at Penny’s?

010707scott02.jpg

EWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Note how the collar points are pointing up and away. This is a sign of a cheap shirt, bad starching or lack of collar stays which are easy to find at any decent men’s retailer. Another day makes believe it is the lack of collar stays that are causing what seems to be a consistent problem:

010707scott01.jpg

Confidential to Marvel: You need better-quality shirts and ties, and someone with better taste than you to select them (sorry, but it is true). God made you handsome, the gym made you a specimen-now let fashion finish it all off. And get some damn 99 cent collar stays!

Here is a quickie on Ken Rosado. Now, I have never been especially a fan of his taste (the tabbed collars…saints preserve us!), but previously he has not done anything technically wrong. Here, he does (and once AGAIN demonstrates why bottom-button buttoning is never a good idea)

Here he is seated, with his suit like a straightjacket:

010707rosato.jpg

Then you will note in the close-up how it forces the jacket up and above his collar and neck:

010707rosato0.jpg

I hope this was a one-time accident and has not joined the Lipoff Cult.

Oh God...will SuitSnob ever get a life? :) Even MORE to come!!!

OK, now here is the first Epic Fashion Disaster of 2008: Mr. Steve Bartelstein.

THE GREAT BARTLESTEIN BASH OF '08

Now, all joking aside I think Steve is courageous and a class act for being upfront about his recent health issues and going about his business is nothing short of inspirational. But I also guess he would not want special treatment, so he will get none-the fact is he is one of the worst-dressed men local news has ever seen and this predates his illness by MANY years. Steve, I am excited to see you continue to make a full recovery, and am looking forward to MANY years of you dressing better than you do now (BTW-the shaved head is the best thing that ever happened to you-looks damn good).

Where do I start?

1) Wrong suits for body type:

Steve has a large frame and is broad shouldered. And he wears high-gorge 3 and 4-button suits which instead of accentuating his height only serve to make him look like Shrek forced into a suit. The fact that his suits all have narrow lapels does not help; Remember Boys: Narrow Frame/ Narrow Lapels Wide Frame/ Wide Lapels. By wearing narrow lapels with a wide frame, it only makes the frame look wider by comparison.

010707bart01.jpg

Of course, BUTTONING ALL THE BUTTONS DOES NOT HELP!!!!

You all want to see a Fashion emergency? How about wearing French Cuffs with NO CUFFLINKS!!!!:):eek::eek: These has to be a good story here….

010707bart02.jpg

Sorry teach…my dog ate my cufflinks….

Not done with Steve-o yet...not even close...

;)

(Continued from previous page...)

Now on to ties…though facing stiff competition from John Decepollo, Sean Hennesey and Don Dahler, Steve has the worst ties at WCBS (SuitSnob doesn't have the energy to even start on the lapels on the top suit):

010707bart03.jpg

bart.jpg

Not only are they ugly, they are also way too narrow for his frame…just like the lapel rule; a guy with a slight frame looks great in a narrow tie, whereas a thick tie will be overwhelming. Conversely, a thick man wearing a thin tie will only serve to make him look larger:

010707bart05.jpg

The teeny-weeney tie knots just look silly, and are often accompanied by tiny shirt collars. Some of his get-ups almost look like a costume…like he is in a bad dinner theatre production of Hello Dolly:

010707bart04.jpg

Just an itty-bitty-bit more....:)

LAST PART-I PROMISE!!!!

Steve needs to look at Jim Watkins:

110707watkins.jpg

Also tall with broad shoulders. You’ll note that he wears suits with a low gorge to accentuate his height, and with wide lapels and thick ties with a Windsor knot to complement his face and torso. Then take a trip to Jim’s fashion consultant (not to Jim’s tailor though…as previously noted all if his suits need to be taken in a bit at the front)-whoever told Steve that those suits, shirts and ties look good on his frame needs to go back to his previous career as a force-feeder at a poultry factory where he will cause less pain and suffering.

Whoa…mammoth post to start the year. Why can’t these guys learn to dress so I can take a nice break?

Until next time…

Love and Kisses,

SuitSnob

:)

New member - I'm really enjoying this discussion!

I live in Atlanta, so I get to see Lonnie Quinn and Chris Wragge on Saturday mornings on the CBS Early Show. No complaints about their suits, but...

Lonnie Quinn finally has a proper topcoat! All through the fall, on rainy Saturdays he would appear on the plaza in a J. Peterman cattleman's duster and a cowboy hat. The first time I saw it, I figured there was a rodeo in town and he'd put them on because people were there promoting it! He didn't look bad dressed that way, but it didn't seem like what I'd expect to see someone wearing on television "live from Fifth Avenue in New York City."

Lonnie has been slipping again...more bottom-button buttoning. :eek: Fun photos to come in the next update!!!

I can still remember the days when Forrest Sawyer was the local ABC anchor in Atlanta back in the 80s...so damn handsome, natty three-piece suits almost every day. Oh, those were the days...

WCBS2 is the PERFECT place to hide out!!! Who would ever look there what with no one watching!!!

You guys want to join in on this flame war? Check out the comments at the bottom of this article I wrote:

http://nynw.net/2007/10/22/suitsnob-featured-the-suit/#comments

Dear Suit, may I call you Suit? I loved the discussion you were having with Nannette. Except perhaps her make believe husband is the beard and she is secretly jealous of mens clothing.

My guess is she is a 700-pound woman who can't get out of bed who took her greasy hands out of a bag of BBQ Chips just long enough to rush to the defense of these kind, yet poorly-dressed men that she fantasizes are talking to her, and only her when reading the news. My calling out of their wardrobes disturbs her because she then has to accept that other people can see them too...

It's gotten even weirder...someone (who also reads here) was pretending to be multiple posters playing a game of Good Cop/ Bad Cop trying to convince me that my activites could be considered Libelous. This while also accusing me of being "Scarily Obsessive" Aww shucks...I'm just a miserable, snarky bitch is all...I'll let you know if it gets to the point of boiling bunnies....:p

FatalAttraction_1987_img_2.jpg

SuitSnob is feeling so raw and un-loved now...this might be a great time for the regular readers to send in good wishes...:D

Thanks Alaska...how often does one find themselves suited-up in the Tundra? Do you guys wear seven-piece suits or something?

Meanwhile, back at the Flame War...

The person posting under multiple names is now claiming it's a 24-hour, watch-dog operation handling clients in the media and they were just happening to be using the same computer in the middle of the night. Uh-huh...

TELLY'S BACK!!!

Unfortunately, the battle is over..they locked the thread. Perhaps Sybil the Multi-Named Poster will gravitate this way. We'd better be ready:

258Troll_spray.jpg

Meanwhile, Telly..have any insights for some of the latest updates? BTW-I have a really nifty Phil shot for you-look for it at the next update!

And in an unrelated story - what is up with John Marshall's new haircut? He looks ridiculous - like Tintin! I guess his receding hairline needing better disguising....

Yep...Telly is certainly back! ;)

Thanks Alaska...how often does one find themselves suited-up in the Tundra? Do you guys wear seven-piece suits or something?

Meanwhile, back at the Flame War...

The person posting under multiple names is now claiming it's a 24-hour, watch-dog operation handling clients in the media and they were just happening to be using the same computer in the middle of the night. Uh-huh...

Well, at work the anchors and reporters are suited up if they are in studio, out in the field they are bundled up pretty good. We actually have some pretty fashionable talent. Our political reporter wears some pretty gawdy ties, but that is to be expected. ;)

Well, at work the anchors and reporters are suited up if they are in studio, out in the field they are bundled up pretty good. We actually have some pretty fashionable talent. Our political reporter wears some pretty gawdy ties, but that is to be expected. ;)

Hmmm...based on a cursory glance I would guess Mike Ross is the best-dressed man at your station?

Archived