Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KSNF news updates from 1994. This is why I say they used NBC: The Place to Be...

Interesting to hear those promo themes used in a news update, especially three years after NBC: The Place to Be ran its course by the network.

Interesting to hear those promo themes used in a news update, especially three years after NBC: The Place to Be ran its course by the network.

KSNF was using five themes at once, several of them hand-me-downs from Wichita. In the 1990-94 time frame, they were using Hello, Turn To, All the News (especially), News Series 2000 and NBC: The Place to Be; that's a lot, and it's a really bad jumble too. And we don't know which one was used in the open. And from 1994-97 they used three different music pieces (I suspect that aside from Heartland, the other two are actually production music pieces).

KOAM, KODE and KSNF are still pretty Swiss cheese, KOAM not so much thanks to my finds (we have most of the key pieces back to their switch to CBS in 1983). KODE has lots of missing pieces (including 1990s-2003) and mostly no-name themes to show for it. KSNF is confusing in and of itself, but being in Joplin where the NMSA source information is really bad doesn't help.

KNAZ was also using the NBC: TPTB themes way past the end of the network run - especially in late night hours at least into 1994 - though not for the newscasts themselves

KNAZ was also using the NBC: TPTB themes way past the end of the network run - especially in late night hours at least into 1994 - though not for the newscasts themselves

Other stations that used them extensively past 1992: KGET, KOAA, WFMJ (debuted 1993?), WICU? (says 1990-96, but we have Signature in 1993), WTVA.

I also found the source for a bunch of the Huntsville, AL market finds:

WAAY 1988 with KOAT89 theme:

(used beginning in 1987!)

WAFF 1988 with KSL89 theme:

WAAY 1990 with NS2001:

(I think this was picked up in 1990, not 1986)

I've always loved the TVbD demo reels (they've also been up there for years).

The WDIV theme was used 1981/82 to 1984. We have a bunch of pieces of it but it's not in the NMSA.

The WDIV theme used in the TVbD piece was I believe the second series of shall we call it the "Go4It" news package. Part one was introduced during WDIV's coverage of the 1980 Republican National Convention in Detroit, and more fully implemented a month or two later. With the"Go4It" signature in both parts, I presume either Klein& did it, or someone else was commissioned by Klein& and WDIV.

Yes, I am pretty sure that WDIV theme was part of "mark II" of "Go 4 It", and was thus by Klein &. The long theme has the "Go 4 It" 3-note melody from the Phoebe Snow song. (Though interestingly, the open in the same TVbD demo has the musical logo from "Mark I").

In '84, they'd switch to a new theme by local composers Randy Jacobs and Luis Resto - also of the band Was (Not Was) - and go all in with the "TVbD look."

Also from that TVbD reel - am I the only one who thinks that Gari WFSB theme isn't actually part of "The One for All"? Yes, the logo melody is similar, and WFSB did also use The One for All at some point, but this theme doesn't seem totally the same. The melody seems to be saying "The One and Only Channel 3."

WVII "Profiles", late 80s/early 90s: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_hrx27a00

You don't get this every day: Hong Kong news opens from 1986! These are shot with a camera at a monitor. Some are in Chinese and some in English: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_ljw27a00

WQRF, "39 Today" segment, 1980: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_dlx27a00

New Zealand full newscasts from 1990. The "One" network with a New Zealand Commonwealth Games 1990 ident and "One Network News" open, plus all of the news stories and commercials: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_orm02b00

WSJV promo from 1992:

In the "I didn't know this existed" category, an All News Channel-produced Showtime update from 1991 using a Network Music track. I found another one of these with Gordon Steinke, who went on the next year to CITV in Edmonton, Alberta:

• 2 weeks later...