WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

The current graphics are coming up on 5 years old, the limitations of the package are becoming evident with the graphics dept coming up with new ways to animate the existing graphics to try to meet new demands... Also there are a lot of unnecessary and outdated 3D movements in the current package that aren't in style anymore, especially for DMA 1.

Exactly. Every graphic that they've had to add on to the current package doesn't exactly fit the package or looks like it was thrown together in PowerPoint ... Not to mention, the 5 different ABC7 logos they've been using. I'm happy that things look like they're moving in a cleaner, flat direction.

Exactly. Every graphic that they've had to add on to the current package doesn't exactly fit the package or looks like it was thrown together in PowerPoint ... Not to mention, the 5 different ABC7 logos they've been using. I'm happy that things look like they're moving in a cleaner, flat direction.

Yeah, but as they're transitioning to a consistent logo finish, they're now playing around with the size and shape of the ABC and Circle 7. The ABC is getting a little bigger, and the 7 appears to be getting widened, making it a Slightly-Oval 7 (which doesn't have the same ring to it). While I may be comparing apples and oranges in the gif, I've seen the new, flatter logo with at least 3 different sizes of ABC attached.

output_rtxuCs_zpsmsqho1aw.gif

Yes, this screws with my self-diagnosed OCD, so I'm going to complain about it. :)

Yeah, but as they're transitioning to a consistent logo finish, they're now playing around with the size and shape of the ABC and Circle 7. The ABC is getting a little bigger, and the 7 appears to be getting widened, making it a Slightly-Oval 7 (which doesn't have the same ring to it). While I may be comparing apples and oranges in the gif, I've seen the new, flatter logo with at least 3 different sizes of ABC attached.

output_rtxuCs_zpsmsqho1aw.gif

Yes, this screws with my self-diagnosed OCD, so I'm going to complain about it. :)

It's still a circle. The only difference is the new logo is no longer beveled along the edges.

The current graphics are coming up on 5 years old, the limitations of the package are becoming evident with the graphics dept coming up with new ways to animate the existing graphics to try to meet new demands... Also there are a lot of unnecessary and outdated 3D movements in the current package that aren't in style anymore, especially for DMA 1.

Yeah, I agree that 5 years is a really long time and a refresh was more than predictable. I feel like their package with all the 3D elements along with their current EWN cut make WABC unique and remember, they're still "New Yorks #1 News" for the most part to this day. I also wouldn't say the new graphics are bad, but it's too drastic of a change in my opinion, but who knows, maybe change will be a good thing in this case (which it probably will be).

Yeah, I agree that 5 years is a really long time and a refresh was more than predictable. I feel like their package with all the 3D elements along with their current EWN cut make WABC unique and remember, they're still "New Yorks #1 News" for the most part to this day. I also wouldn't say the new graphics are bad, but it's too drastic of a change in my opinion, but who knows, maybe change will be a good thing in this case (which it probably will be).

Their current graphics always looked subpar to me... I won't miss them a bit...

Hey guys! Its been a while since I posted on these forums, but I figured I'd add my two cents about WABC at this point in what looks to be a new change that will be debuting soon. WABC still is my favorite station, they always will be. I don't watch the news as much as I used to when I was active and younger on these forums. But honestly in my opinion, their current graphics package and overall on-air look isn't horrible. (Since 2012, Giant Octopus Refresh of their previous package). Its definitely not as clean and smooth as KABC (2015) (which I think is the best, very network news like and extremely professionally done). WLS is definitely a close second. WABC's graphics as of right now are OK, they are not earth shattering and god-like. The other O&Os seem to do it a little better like KABC and WLS. KTRK is definitely nicer with theirs as well. I feel like if you're in DMA#1 you have to be the best. It can certainly use a bit more work. Although their graphics are OK, I certainly like their current graphics package better than what they are heading towards. We haven't really seen the entirety of their new package, but it certainly looks very basic than what they have now.

They always seem to have a penchant of displaying snippets of their new on-air look through their weather segments, if I remember correctly their current Giant Octopus package was "previewed" on the AccuWeather segments back in 2008. The weather department certainly needs to update the scaling and look of their maps. The scaling of the maps seem to be so small in relation to the area. They need more areas to be represented. For them to not have a town in Nassau County and only one CT location (Bridgeport) on the map for their temperatures is a bit sad. They only have Islip and Montauk. Its high time they change that and maybe adjust the scaling a bit of the maps to include more towns in the viewing area. To be honest, their current package and on-air look isn't that bad, but its not exciting neither. WABC's presentation has always kinda been just sub-par a bit compared to their counterparts and it has always been this way for years. KABC in my opinion has always got the presentation better than WABC. WPVI is really nice too! Can't forget about 6ABC now too! They certainly beat WABC as well with their on-air presentation.

They really need more attention to detail when it comes to the Graphics and Music presentation. They need to utilize the music package more and have more variety with their music. The same 3 cuts (Eyewitness News Series 4) for every newscast is just tiring and boring. We have yet to hear the new music which has been rumored for years and highly anticipated. Their current music package just doesn't work anymore in this day and age. I mean it was nice and different back in 1999 but as the years change and progress and as we inch toward a new decade, its time for them to change their music. Hopefully they keep the same signature!

Guess we'll have a lot more to see next week when Sweeps for May 2016 begin! :). I remember they launched their current Giant Octopus graphics back in May 2008 as well so this overhaul I'm hoping will be nice as well.

• Like 1

I don't live in New York, but if WABC ever commissioned updates to Eyewitness News, I'd hope they'd sound better than what KABC is using. Yuck.

And be glad WABC doesn't look the way they did in the mid-2000s anymore.

• Like 1

Personally, the current KABC cuts are the only Eyewitness News updates I've like since WABC's 1999 update. That said, I think the music in place now is fine, though a few more cuts from that series could stand to see some airtime. As for the new graphics, I'm expecting something that falls between KABC and KTRK's looks, but with whatever font they choose (from those proposed opens, it isn't Gotham). While the new look might be a little flat for some, WABC's visual identity over the last decade has been so messy and bloated that I'm all in favor of it being completely blown up for simplicity's sake. It's sad when you have to go back to the turn of the century to find a WABC graphics package that wasn't an unmitigated disaster.

Personally, the current KABC cuts are the only Eyewitness News updates I've like since WABC's 1999 update. That said, I think the music in place now is fine, though a few more cuts from that series could stand to see some airtime. As for the new graphics, I'm expecting something that falls between KABC and KTRK's looks, but with whatever font they choose (from those proposed opens, it isn't Gotham). While the new look might be a little flat for some, WABC's visual identity over the last decade has been so messy and bloated that I'm all in favor of it being completely blown up for simplicity's sake. It's sad when you have to go back to the turn of the century to find a WABC graphics package that wasn't an unmitigated disaster.

Just take the skirts up 3 more inches is all I ask.

• Like 1

So WABC gets new graphics in 2011 after WPVI got some in 2010, but WABC gets new ones before WPVI? Same thing with KABC and KFSN. Some markets are being left out it seems.

The more dominant the station, the less that needs to change.

• Like 4

i have a rant on why is wabc banning the dog from visiting the morning show outside at 615 after bill evan's forecast and people are mad its not a problem and it is a good ratings boost when the dog visits CAMILLE SUCKS FOR DOING THAT!

i have a rant on why is wabc banning the dog from visiting the morning show outside at 615 after bill evan's forecast and people are mad its not a problem and it is a good ratings boost when the dog visits CAMILLE SUCKS FOR DOING THAT!

They probably don't want it doing anything stupid and how do you know it's a good ratings boost?

They probably don't want it doing anything stupid and how do you know it's a good ratings boost?

all bill does is feed it treats and i think it's a good ratings boost it gives people's positive moods a good start to the day and Bill Evans is being sanitized he use to do a lot of crazy stuff and i can go on and on

all bill does is feed it treats and i think it's a good ratings boost it gives people's positive moods a good start to the day and Bill Evans is being sanitized he use to do a lot of crazy stuff and i can go on and on

So you have no evidence that it's doing anything... Maybe they found the audience actually hates it...

Maybe on Monday? They usually debut new things at the start of the first week of whichever month the change will happen.

when they debut the streetside studio wasn't it a weekend

Where is there any evidence that WABC has sent the dog away? (I can't believe I just said that.) Maybe the owner just isn't coming around, anymore.

the owner and the dog comes around but they are "off camera" i follow that dog on facebook "maximus fuzz" they "visit off camera with bill evans" how i know this i follow te dog on facebook

Maybe on Monday? They usually debut new things at the start of the first week of whichever month the change will happen.

I vaguely recall seeing new graphics debut over the weekend in the past. Gives them a chance to test things out live on the weekend shows and iron out kinks before the more-watched weekday shows.

• Like 1