NBC negotiating Ann Curry removal from "Today"

MorningNews

http://mediadecoder..../?smid=fb-share

This is kind of bothering me because NBC can't stand being number 2. You cant always be number 1 because times are changing. Those 852 weeks as number 1 made them too comfortable. Ann has been their for 18 years and now they're going to get rid of her (reassign to foreign correspondent). It took 15 years for GMA to get a team that works well on camera again after Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden (GMA was number 1 during this tenure until Dec. 1995). To tell you the truth I never watched the Today show and turned to GMA because at one point it was Katie Couric Show. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Katie fan but it show you how NBC gives one person too much power for a show. Now the same thing is happening with Matt. To tell you the truth, the real reason I currently do not watch the show is Matt, not Ann. I feel bad for Ann because her dream job is turning into a nightmare. Yes the ratings drop and it is unfortunant it happen on Ann's watch but the show is still strong. But if the show drops into 3rd place and let CBS This Morning takes its place (Which is also a pretty good show now), then they should do something. But whatever happens, I wish Ann the best. The same thing happened in the early 1990's when Deborah Norville was let go because the ratings dropped to last place. Deborah now is doing good as an anchor on Inside Edition. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel but I do hope whatever they do is to think about more than just get rid off her over losing 4 weeks as number 1. For the most part, I never blame one anchor for a problem but the show as a whole. Right now NBC needs to change the Today's format a little, Stop talking about the Kardashians and discuss the elections that happening around the country. They can also reduce Matt's role because as I stated earlier, he is part of the problem too. He comes off as a know it all and snobby now. He does not bring energy because he is getting dull (not aging well either.). If they change the show, Put Natalie as co host, to keep it steady keep Matt on their for a year or so until the can find a good replacement (Lester, or even Peter Alexander. Bring either Tamron or Kate Snow as news anchor and things should eventually get things back to normal for NBC. To tell you the truth, that's All NBC needed was some change to one of the veterans but I wish it wasn't Ann who had to go because to me she hasn't been giving a fair chance (including me) from the hateful things people said. We all need to learn we cant compare her to Katie or Meredith because a lot of things in our society change since they left.

http://mediadecoder..../?smid=fb-share

This is kind of bothering me because NBC can't stand being number 2. You cant always be number 1 because times are changing. Those 852 weeks as number 1 made them too comfortable. Ann has been their for 18 years and now they're going to get rid of her (reassign to foreign correspondent). It took 15 years for GMA to get a team that works well on camera again after Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden (GMA was number 1 during this tenure until Dec. 1995). To tell you the truth I never watched the Today show and turned to GMA because at one point it was Katie Couric Show. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Katie fan but it show you how NBC gives one person too much power for a show. Now the same thing is happening with Matt. To tell you the truth, the real reason I currently do not watch the show is Matt, not Ann. I feel bad for Ann because her dream job is turning into a nightmare. Yes the ratings drop and it is unfortunant it happen on Ann's watch but the show is still strong. But if the show drops into 3rd place and let CBS This Morning takes its place (Which is also a pretty good show now), then they should do something. But whatever happens, I wish Ann the best. The same thing happened in the early 1990's when Deborah Norville was let go because the ratings dropped to last place. Deborah now is doing good as an anchor on Inside Edition. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel but I do hope whatever they do is to think about more than just get rid off her over losing 4 weeks as number 1. For the most part, I never blame one anchor for a problem but the show as a whole. Right now NBC needs to change the Today's format a little, Stop talking about the Kardashians and discuss the elections that happening around the country. They can also reduce Matt's role because as I stated earlier, he is part of the problem too. He comes off as a know it all and snobby now. He does not bring energy because he is getting dull (not aging well either.). If they change the show, Put Natalie as co host, to keep it steady keep Matt on their for a year or so until the can find a good replacement (Lester, or even Peter Alexander. Bring either Tamron or Kate Snow as news anchor and things should eventually get things back to normal for NBC. To tell you the truth, that's All NBC needed was some change to one of the veterans but I wish it wasn't Ann who had to go because to me she hasn't been giving a fair chance (including me) from the hateful things people said. We all need to learn we cant compare her to Katie or Meredith because a lot of things in our society change since they left.

You know what I agree. Don't get me wrong. I love the Today Show, Grew up on the Today show and I love Ann Curry. I feel really bad for Ann, mainly because they are giving here the s*it end of the stick. I think ratings would improve if they stop reporting of that Bieber kid every five minutes and such. I feel that type of tomfoolery is for the 4th hour (don't get me wrong, again, I love to 4th hour too!). In the sad case that they replace Ann, I would LOVE to see Tamron Hall take a permanant role at Today. I rather see Savannah or Tamron as co-anchor, only because Natalie is definitely a News anchor. Honestly, the only idea for Ann I can see is co-anchoring with Brian Williams in the evening - (wishful thinking)

The Today show has pretty much devolved into garbage.

The first hour is so formulatic, it's embarrasing. I mean, there is almost always a drawn out story about a missing female in the first hour. Then there is the Rossen Reports feature. Toss in there some stories straight from the tabloid shelves and you've got the Today show in 2012.

It's obvious they want to promote Savannah Guthrie. She's on the fast track while Curry gets the door.

Is this what morning television has become? If so, count me out.

I feel so bad for Ann, she has worked so hard and dedicated herself to this show. She was passed over for the top position once and when she finally gets it, she is being forced out. I feel like Matt Lauer is the problem more than Ann; just like with anyone there comes a time when someone has just been around way too long. 16 years is more than enough, Matt it's time to go.

The Today show has pretty much devolved into garbage.

The first hour is so formulatic, it's embarrasing. I mean, there is almost always a drawn out story about a missing female in the first hour. Then there is the Rossen Reports feature. Toss in there some stories straight from the tabloid shelves and you've got the Today show in 2012.

Is this what morning television has become? If so, count me out.

CBS This Morning is about the only bright spot in morning television. I watch ABC and NBC, both have become absolute trash as well as formulaic like you mentioned. In fact you could turn to each show at one time and they both be covering the same "news" story, abduction, miracle, medicine breakthrough.

I like Matt and, while never a big fan of Ann, I feel she deserved a shot at the anchor chair. It's going to be a rough summer for both the Peacock and the Alphabet networks...Ann's pending exit, and Robin's bone marrow transplant.

I believe that list was just some names thrown out by the editors of that website. Robin isn't going anywhere. NY Times ran an article saying that Amy Robach is being considered as Robin's fill in while she's receiving treatment.

you're very gullible, aren't you?

I'm not gullible. I know that is very unlikely going to happen. I'm just reporting what news blogs are speculating. These are the comments I hate on TVNT because you don't have to bash a person if their view is different from yours. That was very childish of you.

Its a shame though that it didnt work out for Ann. It would be nice if they gave her a more prominent role in Dateline. As for GMA, a good way to take full advantage of this mess Today is in if they got Katie to fill in for Robin during the summer (if it doesnt reflect with the prep of her show)

In an interview yesterday afternoon with WLS Katie said they'll be starting practice shows in August, but seeing as Robin isn't going to have her transplant until then (at least), it seems unlikely that she'll fill in at all.

It took 15 years for GMA to get a team that works well on camera again after Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden

Have to disagree with you there. Charlie and Diane Sawyer had a VERY easy rapport and fantastic chemistry. I think that team was at least as good as, if not better than, the Gibson/Lunden team (though I go with the latter team for personal preference - early 90s GMA was awesome). They might not have ever beat Today, but to say Charlie and Diane "didn't work" could not be further from the truth.

And it's debatable whether GMA's recent gains are due to George and Robin, really. They've been together for a few years, but the show really didn't take off until last year, and that was after they changed EPs and added Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer. (Elliott in particular seems to be working out extremely well for them.) That, and not the anchor pairing, is what I think led to ABC's recent run.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the morning shows either. I like CBS, but that's not getting traction yet (they have to give it a year or more, because it's so different). And if I'm up, I usually prefer the local shows. I wonder, actually, what Fox actually rates if you average out all of the Good Days/etc nationwide.

I liked it when CBS allowed affiliates to pre-empt the first hour of CBS This Morning and The Early Show in favor of local news. Powerhouse CBS affiliate WBNS would do pretty well with local news in that slot.

I do feel sorry for Ann Curry, but it's obvious by watching Today that the Curry/Lauer relationship isn't working. The chemistry was so easy and natural between Lauer & Couric, and later with Meredith Viera. It just isn't their with Ann. Between her awkward jokes that knowbody seems to understand, to her overtly dramatic mannerisms, she just isn't the right fit to be co-host. Ann was a great news anchor; hard news is clearly her strength. That's the route she needs to go. As for her replacement, I don't think any of the women currently employed by NBC News would work well with Matt, except Meredith Viera, but based on news reports, she isn't interested in coming back. I think NBC should try and look outside the network and bring in some fresh blood to energize the program. I always thought Robin Meade from HLN or Kyra Phillips from CNN would work well with Matt. Both women have the hard news chops, but also the friendly and outgoing personality to deal with the lighter fare of morning tv.

I liked it when CBS allowed affiliates to pre-empt the first hour of CBS This Morning and The Early Show in favor of local news. Powerhouse CBS affiliate WBNS would do pretty well with local news in that slot.

I used to advocate that for years - that CBS should just turn the whole slot over to affiliates. And as I hinted above, I've had this suspicion that if you measure out all of the local morning shows, they'd be just as competitive as the national ones. I've favored the local shows over the national shows mostly because I can get my local information when I want it - not having to wait until a 25 or 55 for the traffic, and getting more than one local story.

That said, CBS needs to stay the course with CBS This Morning. They have something there. The problem is, I think most people are used to CBS running a third-rate duplicate of Today and naturally assume that the new show is more of the same. It could not be more different than GMA or Today. CBS needs to keep this going for at least one year, and ideally two years, to see how it's going, and that means not tweaking the formula or making concessions to local stations. Viewer habits take a long time to change, and I think most viewers still think CBS is doing a third-rate copy of Today. Like I said, year or more.

I used to advocate that for years - that CBS should just turn the whole slot over to affiliates. And as I hinted above, I've had this suspicion that if you measure out all of the local morning shows, they'd be just as competitive as the national ones. I've favored the local shows over the national shows mostly because I can get my local information when I want it - not having to wait until a 25 or 55 for the traffic, and getting more than one local story.

KUTV in Utah still pre-empts the first hour of CBS This Morning for an extra hour of their morning newscast despite other stations stopping the practice in 2008.

I don't think it will work.. I don't see her doing a serious breaking news story.. They need someone who can open up and tell jokes but can also be serious.. This might make the ratings problem worse.

I don't think it will work.. I don't see her doing a serious breaking news story.. They need someone who can open up and tell jokes but can also be serious.. This might make the ratings problem worse.

So, you've never seen her work outside of the 4th Hour? She's actually pretty good, and "serious". They make jokes often on the 4th Hour about how low she has fallen -- being known as a legitimate journalist, and ending up a lush who drinks wine for an hour with Kathy-Lee. I don't think it damaged her reputation.

I've also seen her do Breaking News cut-ins from Network during Midday hours, and she does fine.

Archived