NBC negotiating Ann Curry removal from "Today"

MorningNews

So, you've never seen her work outside of the 4th Hour? She's actually pretty good, and "serious". They make jokes often on the 4th Hour about how low she has fallen -- being known as a legitimate journalist, and ending up a lush who drinks wine for an hour with Kathy-Lee. I don't think it damaged her reputation.

I've also seen her do Breaking News cut-ins from Network during Midday hours, and she does fine.

With the joke that the Today show has become, Kathie Lee would even be a perfect fit for the position.

Previous poster has a point... With the way Today and Good Morning America are programmed these days, with all the celebrity interviews, cooking segments, and outdoor concerts taking a larger chunk of time instead of real news, even in an election year, Kathie Lee or Hoda would be a fine pick next to Matt.

So if Hoda gets promoted to the main anchor chair, who takes the 4th hour chair alongside Kathie Lee? Perhaps last Wednesday was a test? Kathie Lee and Regis....

That would be an interesting turn in Regis's life!!!! TODAY sure made a big deal of it last Wednesday (the first three hours of TODAY)

Now that I think about it, Did TODAY have a healthy lead over GMA when Regis left Live!? Then again, didn't Regis announce his leaving in like Jan 2011??

So if Hoda gets promoted to the main anchor chair, who takes the 4th hour chair alongside Kathie Lee? Perhaps last Wednesday was a test? Kathie Lee and Regis....

This would make sense. I say this because Hoda was supposed to be on vacation the entire week from the reports detailing Regis's filling in on Wed. However Hoda was ready to step in for Ann Curry in case she didn't show up for work once the news broke.

This would make sense. I say this because Hoda was supposed to be on vacation the entire week from the reports detailing Regis's filling in on Wed. However Hoda was ready to step in for Ann Curry in case she didn't show up for work once the news broke.

It's widely believed to be Savannah Guthrie (who has news chops - she did the cutin this weekend when the Sandusky verdict came in). However, they're not looking to move her into the spot right away, because there are legitimate concerns that she would be seen as pushing Curry out.

It's the Deborah Norville Problem. Norville did very well on NBC News Sunrise, and the producers thought "okay, she'd work out well on Today" and moved her there as the newsreader. Then they decided to spotlight her in a manner that the newsreader was never traditionally showcased - i.e., being seated alongside Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley. All of a sudden, they're not seeing her as a promising young star, but the young hot blonde seeking to take out her competition - i.e., Pauley. When Pauley left, NBC immediately announced that Norville was in - and now that it looked all the world like the young hot blonde DID take out her competition, now the criticisms got worse. They had to get rid of her in 18 months, largely due to this and plummeting ratings. Note that NONE of this was the fault of Norville herself - the way the network handled her arrival and transition is largely why this went south.

A similar thing happened when Lisa McRee and Kevin Newman replaced the popular Joan Lunden/Charlie Gibson team. Suddenly, the entire GMA "family" was gone, and ratings went into the toilet. They both got fired, and Gibson was brought back along with Diane Sawyer for a "temporary" gig that lasted nearly a decade.

It's widely believed to be Savannah Guthrie (who has news chops - she did the cutin this weekend when the Sandusky verdict came in). However, they're not looking to move her into the spot right away, because there are legitimate concerns that she would be seen as pushing Curry out.

It's the Deborah Norville Problem. Norville did very well on NBC News Sunrise, and the producers thought "okay, she'd work out well on Today" and moved her there as the newsreader. Then they decided to spotlight her in a manner that the newsreader was never traditionally showcased - i.e., being seated alongside Bryant Gumbel and Jane Pauley. All of a sudden, they're not seeing her as a promising young star, but the young hot blonde seeking to take out her competition - i.e., Pauley. When Pauley left, NBC immediately announced that Norville was in - and now that it looked all the world like the young hot blonde DID take out her competition, now the criticisms got worse. They had to get rid of her in 18 months, largely due to this and plummeting ratings. Note that NONE of this was the fault of Norville herself - the way the network handled her arrival and transition is largely why this went south.

A similar thing happened when Lisa McRee and Kevin Newman replaced the popular Joan Lunden/Charlie Gibson team. Suddenly, the entire GMA "family" was gone, and ratings went into the toilet. They both got fired, and Gibson was brought back along with Diane Sawyer for a "temporary" gig that lasted nearly a decade.

The problem is, it's a real gray area when determining who is the Norville and who is the Pauley in this situation...

Pauley gone, Norville promoted, NBC corrected the issue with Couric. Success.

Lunden/Gibson gone, McRee/Newman promoted, ABC corrected the issue with Gibson and Sawyer. Also successful.

So in this situation, is NBC pushing Curry out like Pauley, or are they fixing their mistake like with Norville?

The problem is, it's a real gray area when determining who is the Norville and who is the Pauley in this situation...

Pauley gone, Norville promoted, NBC corrected the issue with Couric. Success.

Lunden/Gibson gone, McRee/Newman promoted, ABC corrected the issue with Gibson and Sawyer. Also successful.

So in this situation, is NBC pushing Curry out like Pauley, or are they fixing their mistake like with Norville?

I believe that Curry is the Jane Pauley, and Savannah is the Deborah Norville just in a much faster pace. Curry is being pushed out, for younger Guthrie.

My answer would be that Curry is in the Norville role, and NBC is fixing their mistake. They are both very different situations, however. Curry was not foisted upon the viewing audience or given a huge role immediately upon joining. She's been the news anchor for years, filled in millions of times, and has been familiar with the audience. She was a known and liked quantity.

Nor would I characterize it as a "mistake". "CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" was a mistake. "The Jay Leno Show" was a colossal mistake. This really wasn't. More than anyone else in the news division, she had earned that chair. NBC made the safe, logical choice. If I was running NBC, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes, things just don't pan out the way they should. The ratings are showing that something just isn't working, and the troubles started when they put Curry in the chair. I'm going to paraphrase a quote I've heard about this sort of thing: They had a bad year... and when you have a bad year, you fire the boss. It sucks for Curry to be in that position, but the morning show competition has become so cutthroat they have to make a change. Sometimes this happens.

A better example of the Norville thing is what they're doing at WNBC right now. I alluded to that in the Sue Simmons thread, but I think putting Shiba Russell in that seat while Sue Simmons is barely out of the door is the worst possible decision they could have made. Because now you have this young, glamourous, up and coming anchor who joined the station not even one year ago, and now she's replacing arguably the single most beloved anchor in the city. Already you have comments, on this board and elsewhere, calling her "a waste". I don't doubt she's a nice person and a good anchor, but she is in the single worst possible situation she could be in.

My answer would be that Curry is in the Norville role, and NBC is fixing their mistake. They are both very different situations, however. Curry was not foisted upon the viewing audience or given a huge role immediately upon joining. She's been the news anchor for years, filled in millions of times, and has been familiar with the audience. She was a known and liked quantity.

Nor would I characterize it as a "mistake". "CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" was a mistake. "The Jay Leno Show" was a colossal mistake. This really wasn't. More than anyone else in the news division, she had earned that chair. NBC made the safe, logical choice. If I was running NBC, I would have done the same thing. Sometimes, things just don't pan out the way they should. The ratings are showing that something just isn't working, and the troubles started when they put Curry in the chair. I'm going to paraphrase a quote I've heard about this sort of thing: They had a bad year... and when you have a bad year, you fire the boss. It sucks for Curry to be in that position, but the morning show competition has become so cutthroat they have to make a change. Sometimes this happens.

A better example of the Norville thing is what they're doing at WNBC right now. I alluded to that in the Sue Simmons thread, but I think putting Shiba Russell in that seat while Sue Simmons is barely out of the door is the worst possible decision they could have made. Because now you have this young, glamourous, up and coming anchor who joined the station not even one year ago, and now she's replacing arguably the single most beloved anchor in the city. Already you have comments, on this board and elsewhere, calling her "a waste". I don't doubt she's a nice person and a good anchor, but she is in the single worst possible situation she could be in.

Ann Curry, in my opinion is a great anchor. However her tenure has turned out to be similar to Deborah Norville's time at TODAY. Curry was put into the co-anchor position like Norville was. Ann's tenure was rocky just as Norville's. BUT I don't see Ann's replacement (Hoda or Savannah) being a good fit. While Hoda is the best of the two choices, she still seems to goofy. I doubt her and Matt would make a good pairing. Then Savannah is just a disaster, she's not prepared or ready to lead the TODAY show on any scale. Plus she's just annoying!

Here's her announcement at Today

http://allday.today....t-nbc-news?lite

As I watch the end, she didn't want to hug Matt and went straight to Al. This seem to be the wrong way for someone for 15 years to be ousted. They even gave Meredith a big last show and she was on NBC for 5 years. I wish good luck on her new adventure.

Yeah... I think the way they did the announcement felt very weird and very wrong. By coincidence, I ended up DVRing Today and I'm watching it now, and I feel weird watching it. It's really a tearful concession speech at 8:50. Even Pauley got a two hour farewell. I know she isn't "leaving the show" but she's not going to be a daily presence anymore - she deserves a bigger tribute than that. I think this is the first and biggest misstep in this process - prior to this NBC was handling this really well, I thought.

And, not on this subject, but of course papers are comparing this to Conan/Leno, and of course I'm seeing paragraphs like these:

The mishandling of Curry brings to mind NBC's about-face on Conan O'Brien, who was given the job of "Tonight Show" host only to have the network reinstate Jay Leno when Conan's ratings went south.

Really? You're repeating the bullshit spin NBC tried to pull to cover their asses? Hurrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh....

This is an absolute shame. The problem with the Today show is that they focus way too much on all those non-news items that they've held on to since the 90s, meanwhile their competition (GMA and that amazing CBS show) has classed up their programs to have more news content. And then NBC blames Ann Curry, one of their best straight news journalists, for the cause of their ratings declines? Ann is a class act, and the PR milk spill that this implicates for NBC will cause more harm than good for that show. They're way out of line, and they'll need to do a lot to make sure that show stays on top from now on.

Archived