The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I honestly don't really have a strong opinion on her, although I do think some of the other "younger" meteorlogists in town, like Demetrius or Mary Kay Kleist, are better than her right now.

I'm surprised the folks over at that other Chicago media message board haven't started flaming her yet. I feel like she somewhat unfairly gets a bad rap (especially on CRM) for decisions her bosses made. IMO, ABC7 should be blamed more than she should. They fired Mike, they put her in that position, and I think she's trying to give it her best shot.

I honestly don't really have a strong opinion on her, although I do think some of the other "younger" meteorlogists in town, like Demetrius or Mary Kay Kleist, are better than her right now.

I'm surprised the folks over at that other Chicago media message board haven't started flaming her yet. I feel like she somewhat unfairly gets a bad rap (especially on CRM) for decisions her bosses made. IMO, ABC7 should be blamed more than she should. They fired Mike, they put her in that position, and I think she's trying to give it her best shot.

Yeah the bosses did research and went with it I think... I just wish she fit the powerhouse mold better... She really belongs on a station with a looser format.

Mary Kay Kleist... There's a name I haven't heard in almost 20 years...

Yeah the bosses did research and went with it I think... I just wish she fit the powerhouse mold better... She really belongs on a station with a looser format.

Mary Kay Kleist... There's a name I haven't heard in almost 20 years...

She would like FOX. :)

Also interesting in that article was Paul Meincke's 30th anniversary at ABC7 and that 5 and 10pm Director Jef Kos is retiring after 39 years at ABC7.

Holy shit...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7495-rob-elgas-joins-abc-7-as-reporter-anchor

Remember the last time someone was hired as a fill-in? I had a sinking feeling this might happen, but was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't. That said, I do like Rob, more than Cheryl Scott. If I were in charge, he'd be being set up to fill the evening void when Magers retires and KRASHESKY GETS PROMOTED. I know, where would that leave Hosea, he's continue in his current role, as I don't think he's a long-term option to maintain the strong evening roster. Ron mentioned several times on the radio that he saw himself going another 2-3 years. This was more than a year ago.

Feder's also been very quiet, which intimidates me more.

16994_10153538015636162_8410509809292356225_n.jpg?oh=0d0c48c670cd16f7e350c5b203d88bcb&oe=562D10AF

Oh my. Did not see this coming at all. Does WLS really need another anchor? I feel like 'MAQ needed Rob much more than ABC7 does, since they don't really have many options for successors to Stafford. But clearly NBC5 must not have agreed, and WLS offered a better deal. This is eerily similar to the meteorologist situation earlier this year; I'm worried someone is going to be the odd man out at WLS.

One thing's for sure: It's going to be one of hell of a November sweeps this year, especially between 5 and 7 at 10pm.

Oh my. Did not see this coming at all. Does WLS really need another anchor? I feel like 'MAQ needed Rob much more than ABC7 does, since they don't really have many options for successors to Stafford. But clearly NBC5 must not have agreed, and WLS offered a better deal. This is eerily similar to the meteorologist situation earlier this year; I'm worried someone is going to be the odd man out at WLS.

One thing's for sure: It's going to be one of hell of a November sweeps this year, especially between 5 and 7 at 10pm.

We've seen this act by 7 before. Ron still has a few years in him. Alan is likely going to be his successor. Hosea Sanders should be on the lookout this next month or so. (Scott was hired in December, Caplan was let go in Januray)

Feder has a story up, and this says it all:

"In an interview Monday, Elgas said he was pleased to continue to work in his hometown and considers the move to ABC 7 a step up — although it’s not clear when if ever he’ll become a weekday anchor at his new station."

It's not clear, but it's a step up? Pfffft... Someone is going to be the odd man out. Alan? Hosea? Ravi? Ben? All bets are off.

No. WLS doesn't need another anchor, but this seems like a clear sign that when Ron retires, Elgas is going to take his place. Why else would he leave WMAQ? Guess he didn't want to wait around until Stafford retires. Alan is the odd man out and maybe even Ravi (as far as succeeding Ron).

I think Hosea's anchor status is dependent on existence of the WCIU deal. If that ends (at some point, anyway), I think he'll continue with the station. They're clearly trying to build him up as a Theresa Gutierrez/Harry Porterfield-esque features reporter and program host.

Well... If they can't beat NBC 5 they can just rob NBC 5's talent... But you gotta wonder how worried 7 is about competition from 5 now... It looks like very worried at this point...

"Rob NBC 5's talent" -- good one. :lol:

Honestly though, I'm not sure where else Elgas would have gone. He must not have wanted to wait around at NBC 5. WBBM's morning news would have made sense in theory, but who knows if their management is even competent to make a play for him, or if he would have even considered going to that mess. WGN wouldn't make much sense; they have enough good talent. WFLD is... well, WFLD. He probably looked at places out of town and didn't find much. Feder hinted that Rob really wanted a national correspondent gig... likely another interesting similarity between him and Ms. Scott.

NBC wasn't really a problem, though, until after Elgas left. I'm not saying he inhibited their success, but, outside of a few short-lived spikes, WMAQ wasn't officially considered as a serious threat til May.

So far, despite the song and dance that went down months ago, Elgas is being very well-received on ABC 7's Facebook page.

NBC wasn't really a problem, though, until after Elgas left. I'm not saying he inhibited their success, but, outside of a few short-lived spikes, WMAQ wasn't officially considered as a serious threat til May.

So far, despite the song and dance that went down months ago, Elgas is being very well-received on ABC 7's Facebook page.

It'll be interesting to see how he does... If he slides right into Rons spot though when the time comes that'll be a mistake... 7 has to be really careful in these talent transitions...

"Rob NBC 5's talent" -- good one. :lol:

Honestly though, I'm not sure where else Elgas would have gone. He must not have wanted to wait around at NBC 5. WBBM's morning news would have made sense in theory, but who knows if their management is even competent to make a play for him, or if he would have even considered going to that mess. WGN wouldn't make much sense; they have enough good talent. WFLD is... well, WFLD. He probably looked at places out of town and didn't find much. Feder hinted that Rob really wanted a national correspondent gig... likely another interesting similarity between him and Ms. Scott.

I figured (and previously said) a national correspondent job was a natural fit for him. Seems like he left WMAQ at the wrong time and to save face, decided to take a job at WLS.

Cheryl was off on the early shows, so is sticking around late and they're using her with Jerry at 10. It's the new normal on stormy nights. End of story.

Cheryl was off on the early shows, so is sticking around late and they're using her with Jerry at 10. It's the new normal on stormy nights. End of story.

So Jerry did the early shows? Is Cheryl supposed to be on vacation?

I follow Cheryl on social media, and she was away for the weekend. Jerry did the the 4, 5 and 6, but Cheryl was back in time for the 7. If it's just a one day absence, one will do all five shows for the other. If it's like a whole week, Phil does the 4/6 for a few days (depending on who's off).