The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I figured (and previously said) a national correspondent job was a natural fit for him. Seems like he left WMAQ at the wrong time and to save face, decided to take a job at WLS.

I'm not sure I would say what he did is saving face. Surprised he didn't end up at WBBM or other CBS O&Os that are lacking male anchors (KYW, WCBS).

I'm not sure I would say what he did is saving face. Surprised he didn't end up at WBBM or other CBS O&Os that are lacking male anchors (KYW, WCBS).

Maybe saving face isn't the best way of putting this situation. I think it was a mistake for him to leave NBC 5 without lining something else up first. Honestly, what harm is there in being patient and waiting for the right opportunity to arise?

Yeah...he has a job at WLS, but unless he succeeds Ron or gets a job at ABC News, Fusion, etc...it's a wasted effort. Both WBBM and WFLD are wastelands and no one in the right mind would ever consider working for them.

Couldn't have said this in any better way! So true.

Maybe saving face isn't the best way of putting this situation. I think it was a mistake for him to leave NBC 5 without lining something else up first. Honestly, what harm is there in being patient and waiting for the right opportunity to arise?

Yeah...he has a job at WLS, but unless he succeeds Ron or gets a job at ABC News, Fusion, etc...it's a wasted effort. Both WBBM and WFLD are wastelands and no one in the right mind would ever consider working for them.

There must be a ton of lunatics at both stations then...

I've been thinking about it. Rob doesn't need to succeed Ron to be stepping up from NBC5. Sure, you could ask why he'd go from #2 at one station to #2 at another, but was we he really second banana at WMAQ? Anytime Stafford was off, Dick Johnson would cover the later shows like 4 times out of 5. Also, NBC's leadership seems high on Stefan Holt, which might set Holt up to succeed Stafford (whenever, no rush), leaving Elgas in the cold.

Back at 7, even with the new hire, I'd say Krashesky is next in line after Magers. While that might not rationalize the move, Elgas would likely front two newscasts compared to the single broadcast he left, and be on a more solid track to succeed Krashesky, in a similar time frame as if he stayed behind Stafford.

I would agree that Krashesky is next in line, I think Elgas getting the 4 and 6 when that happens makes a lot of sense from his perspective. Add an entire hour of airtime when the time comes.

I'm just not convinced Alan gets the job. By the time Ron retires, he'll be closing in on 60 years of age and nearly 40 years at WLS. Plus, there is no apparent indication WLS management gives a damn about advancing those of a certain age no matter what.

The Elgas hire throws a lot of things off...Does Alan get promoted or not? Does Ravi move to weekday afternoons/evenings and succeeds Ron or Alan? And if not, why not??? Is Rob willing to wait 12-15+ years to take the top spot if he doesnt get it the first time around? And what about Terrell?

There is so much up in the air that it will definitely be interesting to see how things pan out.

I'm just not convinced Alan gets the job. By the time Ron retires, he'll be closing in on 60 years of age and nearly 40 years at WLS. Plus, there is no apparent indication WLS management gives a damn about advancing those of a certain age no matter what.

The Elgas hire throws a lot of things off...Does Alan get promoted or not? Does Ravi move to weekday afternoons/evenings and succeeds Ron or Alan? And if not, why not??? Is Rob willing to wait 12-15+ years to take the top spot if he doesnt get it the first time around? And what about Terrell?

There is so much up in the air that it will definitely be interesting to see how things pan out.

Do you think there could be any peril to skipping the veteran talent and heading straight for the new folks?

I agree it's up in the air especially when you consider how Mike Caplan was dismissed... The logical veteran successor to Jerry Taft replaced by a 30 year old rookie. So the job may not simply be Alan's. What if he is actually happy where he is on the 4 and 6 and as a fill in and wants the early hours?

Do you think there could be any peril to skipping the veteran talent and heading straight for the new folks?

I agree it's up in the air especially when you consider how Mike Caplan was dismissed... The logical veteran successor to Jerry Taft replaced by a 30 year old rookie. So the job may not simply be Alan's. What if he is actually happy where he is on the 4 and 6 and as a fill in and wants the early hours?

To the first question... Hell. Yes.

To the second, that is entirely possible. I also wonder if they'd go the same route as the main network, where the veteran is passed over for the prime slot, but still assumes the role of principal anchor, even if it's only a title considering the nature of local news.

Ultimately, it all depends on the kind of stability the bosses want down the road. Due to his long tenure, Alan might be more inclined to retired at 60 or 40 years or something. If they want someone to man the desk for 20 years, then Rob/Terrell/Ravi (anything's possible) are the better option.

Prediction: Ron cuts back to one newscast within by the fall. If he leaves the 5, Rob is installed on the next broadcast.

Prediction: Ron cuts back to one newscast within by the fall. If he leaves the 5, Rob is installed on the next broadcast.

I could definitely see that happening. I'm not sure if it will be this fall, but I think he'll cut back to one newscast before he retires altogether. And IF that happens, he'll most certainly leave the 5, because there's no way in hell they'd take him off the 10 with NBC5 so close. In fact, I think Ron could still be doing the 10:00 for several years to come.

Hell, John Drury did the 10 exclusively for 8 years, and he pushed it til he was 75.

Thinking about all the potential musical chairs, I've finally figured out Hosea Sanders' role in all of this. He's this generation's Joel Daly. They both were anchors of other broadcasts that were slipping in the ratings, and in an effort to keep them while bringing in new blood, management installed them on brand-new broadcasts alongside Linda Yu. Both were non-factors when discussing personnel moves and shifts. Also, both aren't used as fill-ins on the 10pm news, despite their availability.

Hell, John Drury did the 10 exclusively for 8 years, and he pushed it til he was 75.

Thinking about all the potential musical chairs, I've finally figured out Hosea Sanders' role in all of this. He's this generations Joel Daly. They both were anchors of other broadcasts that were slipping in the ratings, and in an effort to keep them while bringing in new blood, management installed them on brand-new broadcasts alongside Linda Yu. Both were non-factors when discussing personnel moves and shifts. Also, both aren't used as fill-ins on the 10pm news, despite their availability.

Hosea is basically a glorified fill-in now in the evenings... It's actually a pretty good idea.

I think the number of stations able to hold high viewership after a wave of major retirements is small... It's kind of a given that they will lose something...

Rob just debuted, reporting in-studio on the top story at 4:30.

sfjhknj23356_zpssxga0pcb.png

By the way, Ron is off, but Ravi is filling in at 5, so they're not going nuts with this...like we are...like I am. :D

Rob just debuted, reporting in-studio on the top story at 4:30.

sfjhknj23356_zpssxga0pcb.png

Just watched the clip and he seems extremely ordinary and bland... It works I guess but he really doesn't have a strong presence...

Today's app alert for the webcast: Fr. Phlager tells Chief Keef to SHUT UP!!!!!!!! Watch ABC7 TO GO LIVE at Noon for the latest.

What's with all the freakin exclamation points? It's a little less than I would expect from them... It looks... Small market.

Today's app alert for the webcast: Fr. Phlager tells Chief Keef to SHUT UP!!!!!!!! Watch ABC7 TO GO LIVE at Noon for the latest.

What's with all the freakin exclamation points? It's a little less than I would expect from them... It looks... Small market.

Looks like a FOX thing. However, Fr. Phlaher can be a bit different at times.

Looks like a FOX thing. However, Fr. Phlaher can be a bit different at times.

In fairness Phlager did write it that way but they could have done their alert better than that anyways... "Has strong words for rapper" would have sufficed.

Hmm...my alert didn't have the exclamation marks at all. You'd think it'd go out the same to everyone.

I'm on iPhone.. I think you mentioned before you were using android? Maybe there are some requirements that make sending 2 push alerts neccesary?