Allbritton could be selling too.......

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously what are the chances the Sinclair-Allbritton deal will go sour? Dave is hinting at a Hearst takeover. :party:

I think, because it IS legal, it would eventually go through. But, I think it's going to have so many problems with the FCC that Allbritton and Sinclair will probably end up calling it quits. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Sinclair keep the stations.

ABC can buy themselves WJLA as a way for Sinclair to not have to deal with anti competitive behavior and a quadrology of owning ABC in Washington and owning and controlling FOX, CW and MYNET in Baltimore within a 60 mile radius between Washington DC and Baltimore

I just really want WJLA to be picked up by ABC Local. It is such an important market.

But what happens to NC8? ABC has zero, I repeat ZERO, experience in running cable news channels. (The ABC News Now specialty channel doesn't count.)

But what happens to NC8? ABC has zero, I repeat ZERO, experience in running cable news channels. (The ABC News Now specialty channel doesn't count.)

Why does experience running a cable news channel matter? Maybe they could take it on to get that experience. It's probably not likely, but I'm just saying.

Sinclair has no experience either and they REALLY want NC8.

Well, I'm hoping that Hearst ends up with them. Sinclair's plan is really to saturate the air with right-wing propaganda for the 2014 and 2016 elections with these purchases. Whether it would work or not is still unseen (since our country is not the same as in the Reagan era).

Well, I'm hoping that Hearst ends up with them. Sinclair's plan is really to saturate the air with right-wing propaganda for the 2014 and 2016 elections with these purchases. Whether it would work or not is still unseen (since our country is not the same as in the Reagan era).

oh gawd...

Maybe give to Verizon to help supplement FiOS 1 (since unlike in NJ and LI, it never seemed to air news and mainly functions as sports overflow, with this they could really expand it).

This! Fios1 is DC is BIZARRE. It's always Sports Center! Thought it was going to news, I'd like to see Verizon get (NC8) it, although it just expanded to DirectTVV, and is also on Comcast, it would be removed from those subscribers, seems unlikely.

ABC is already starting a cable news network with Univision known as Fusion. From the reports surfacing so far, it doesn't seem like ABC News personalities will have a major presence on the network but I still think that the likelihood ABC acquires another news network is slim to none unless they find a partner in crime to share the financial burden i.e. Hearst, who could possibly acquire the Albritton stations and already partners with ABC for it's other cable ventures (ESPN, A&E).

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if ABC acquired the station because NC8 uses reporters and reports from ABC NewsOne and regular ABC News reporters so often, and a big chunk of their schedule includes replays of 20/20, Nightline, This Week and World News. If ABC were to acquire it solo, I think they would keep it the way it is, with DC based/political programming. And they would aim for it to be a 24/7 digicast net/online network.

Cox and Verizon taking it could also be some other options, they could use NC8 in the same way TWC uses NY1 in New York and Hubbard would be smart to expand WTOP's revenue streams to television.

Wouldn't be surprised if Albritton kept it either and turned it into Politico TV.

ABC is already starting a cable news network with Univision known as Fusion. From the reports surfacing so far, it doesn't seem like ABC News personalities will have a major presence on the network but I still think that the likelihood ABC acquires another news network is slim to none unless they find a partner in crime to share the financial burden i.e. Hearst, who could possibly acquire the Albritton stations and already partners with ABC for it's other cable ventures (ESPN, A&E).

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if ABC acquired the station because NC8 uses reporters and reports from ABC NewsOne and regular ABC News reporters so often, and a big chunk of their schedule includes replays of 20/20, Nightline, This Week and World News. If ABC were to acquire it solo, I think they would keep it the way it is, with DC based/political programming. And they would aim for it to be a 24/7 digicast net/online network.

Cox and Verizon taking it could also be some other options, they could use NC8 in the same way TWC uses NY1 in New York and Hubbard would be smart to expand WTOP's revenue streams to television.

Wouldn't be surprised if Albritton kept it either and turned it into Politico TV.

All ABC/Disney is really doing with Fusion (from what I understand) is ad sales and distribution (since they have more experience with that than Univision). Univision is going to be the one handling day-to-day content and operations.

Hubbard doesn't seem that interested in TV right now.

I think their strategy is to expand their radio operations.

NC8 is so low-cost, that theoretically, the bulk of programming could originate from WTOP's "glass enclosed nerve center" either as a video simulcast or with independent-produced production.

Plus they can translate much of Federal News 1500 into the visual spectrum with no issues. Boring as hell, but it's content.

It would be worlds away from what S!nclair wants to do, by turning that channel into a money-hemorrhaging machine by forcing it onto cable companies in exchange for retrans of their local stations.

Guys, too much wishful thinking. Guessing the deal is far from off.

But it's not the slam dunk everyone thinks it is, either.

I'm putting my money on DCRTV's Dave Hughes, and his track record with breaking news is practically on point. It looks like this deal might be burnt like toast. Honestly, that is a good thing because it will result in something better.

That's not the point.

S!nclair's real problem is that they are taking on - in Carl Sagan terms - BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS of dollars in debt. They are operating in an unrealistic bubble that they can do all this M&A with no consequence whatsoever. After all, they are merely following the rules...

If When S!nclair collapses, it will be devastating for the entire telecommunications industry.

Something else I don't think a lot of us are thinking about--

If Thursday comes and goes without the US debt ceiling raised, I'm willing to bet the consequences mean all the M&A we know of is off.

No. Really. ALL the M&A.

Something else I don't think a lot of us are thinking about--

If Thursday comes and goes without the US debt ceiling raised, I'm willing to bet the consequences mean all the M&A we know of is off.

No. Really. ALL the M&A.

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

That's not the point.

S!nclair's real problem is that they are taking on - in Carl Sagan terms - BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS of dollars in debt. They are operating in an unrealistic bubble that they can do all this M&A with no consequence whatsoever. After all, they are merely following the rules...

If When S!nclair collapses, it will be devastating for the entire telecommunications industry.

Exactly, no company that grows this fast can sustain itself no matter what industry you're in.

It will catch up to Sinclair eventually and it will be very painful for Sinclair and the entire TV industry.

Archived