Alone at 11- the new trend?

PhillyWatch

6 has had Gardner for a while now. 10 is mixing and matching in every daypart but 11 (though I did catch Vai co-anchoring shortly after Lake got the boot, but that didn't last). And with Susan Barnett leaving, Chris May has been alone at 10 and 11 (at least from what I caught last night). It would make sense in this era of budget consciousness and I feel it could help bring a more serious tone to the later newscasts, as opposed to co-anchor small talk in afternoons meant to compete with Judge Judy & Oprah Katie.

Could this be the new trend in town? Thoughts?

It reminds me of the network evening newscasts. Can we get some more serious music at local stations? This is Home may cut it (Mark Koebrich is not an appropriate evening anchor; have Kyle Clark anchor solo on 5-10 weekdays; need a new set), Enforcer is too noisy (Jim Benemann should solo anchor; KCNC needs a new set), iNergy is perfect (KMGH needs to update their duratrans; Mitch Jelniker solo anchors), and KDVR music and graphics are a dream (Kellie MacMullen DeMarko would solo the 7(KWGN), 9 and 10 pm newscasts;the sets are not designed for HD, naughty FX; But I wonder what will happen when KDVR is sold. Will the new owners insist upon a graphics change?)

6 has had Gardner for a while now. 10 is mixing and matching in every daypart but 11 (though I did catch Vai co-anchoring shortly after Lake got the boot' date=' but that didn't last). And with Susan Barnett leaving, Chris May has been alone at 10 and 11 (at least from what I caught last night). It would make sense in this era of budget consciousness and I feel it could help bring a more serious tone to the later newscasts, as opposed to co-anchor small talk in afternoons meant to compete with Judge Judy & [s']Oprah[/s] Katie.

Could this be the new trend in town? Thoughts?

6 is 6 and will not change until Jim retires. I fully expect two people to replace him at 11pm when he retires (Rick & Monica).

I hope they do not stay with Renee solo at 11. I like Renee, but not alone. Vai only subbed at 11pm when Renee was off, and when he subbed he co-anchored with Jacqueline. Again, I think this temporary until they figure out who they want where (I know I want Tracy back in the evening!).

I think Chris being alone at 11pm & 10pm is for a few reasons. It's' cheaper than bringing in a back-up and they don't exactly have much to go with anyway (Erika is on in mornings, Pat is on at noon, Natasha still has to anchor weekends). So rather than disrupt everyone's schedules, they choose to have him go solo. They have brought in Alice Gainer from WCBS to anchor the one week, and now seem to be using Diana Rocko (who just doesn't seem to fit right for those times). Plus, watching him anchor a half hour newscast solo is painful (it's even worse when he does the 5pm alone!).

Here in NY alone at 6 seems to be the trend. On WCBS since Chris Wragge moved to mornings Dana Tyler has been alone at 6..Chuck Scarborough has been alone at 6 since Sue Simmons got let go and Steve Lacy is alone on FOX5 at 6. WABC is the only station here who has 2 anchors on at all times. Personally I like two anchors over one but as we know most stations are cutting everywhere.

Funny, because I got word from an insider at 4 that Chuck only anchored beside Sue Simmons because of the paycheck. Same insider says that Chuck prefers anchoring alone at 6 and it's common knowledge around the newsroom that "he doesn't exactly like black people" and was glad when Sue retired.

It's also common knowledge that Radovanic at WJAC raised a fuss when the station proposed bringing in a co-anchor (who happened to be black) at 11.

Sorry, I had to do it.

Funny, because I got word from an insider at 4 that Chuck only anchored beside Sue Simmons because of the paycheck. Same insider says that Chuck prefers anchoring alone at 6 and it's common knowledge around the newsroom that "he doesn't exactly like black people" and was glad when Sue retired.

It's also common knowledge that Radovanic at WJAC raised a fuss when the station proposed bringing in a co-anchor (who happened to be black) at 11.

Sorry, I had to do it.

This doesn't (and shouldn't) make sense. Chuck has been with Sue for more than 30 years. They have amazing chemistry during that time. There is no way he couldn't stand or like her (or Black people) all these years. That insider must have done a lot of digging to find shit like that.

This doesn't (and shouldn't) make sense. Chuck has been with Sue for more than 30 years. They have amazing chemistry during that time. There is no way he couldn't stand or like her (or Black people) all these years. That insider must have done a lot of digging to find shit like that.

*Cough* Sarcasm *cough*

Sorry, I had to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true because I have never met a white person who isn't racist and being a news anchor and working with minorities doesn't change that. Like I said before, Rob Jennings and Jim Gardner are both big racists and that is why there are so few REAL minorities at the station.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true because I have never met a white person who isn't racist and being a news anchor and working with minorities doesn't change that. Like I said before' date=' Rob Jennings and Jim Gardner are both big racists and that is why there are so few REAL minorities at the station.[/size']

Not this again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true because I have never met a white person who isn't racist and being a news anchor and working with minorities doesn't change that. Like I said before, Rob Jennings and Jim Gardner are both big racists and that is why there are so few REAL minorities at the station.

Can't they suspend this account?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true because I have never met a white person who isn't racist and being a news anchor and working with minorities doesn't change that. Like I said before' date=' Rob Jennings and Jim Gardner are both big racists and that is why there are so few REAL minorities at the station.[/size']

I don't know, Jim looks pretty happy to me. However, Ducis looks less-than-thrilled to be next to ole' whitey...

523302_10151387893819918_1925076476_n.png

Alone at 11pm In Atlanta WXIA has primary icon anchor Brenda Wood anchoring the station late news at 11pm solo and over at rival WGCL Stephany Fisher is also solo at 11pm as well too-

In Cleveland when Ramona Robinson was at WKYC she anchor solo at 6 &11pm before she went over to WOIO now Russ & Kris do the co-anchoring. I think the 7pm news is solo with Robin Swoboda

• 2 weeks later...
In Cleveland when Ramona Robinson was at WKYC she anchor solo at 6 &11pm before she went over to WOIO now Russ & Kris do the co-anchoring. I think the 7pm news is solo with Robin Swoboda

Romona had a co-anchor for the majority of her tenure at WKYC (Judd Hambrick 1995-1999; Tim White 1999-2009).

Because of a budget dicate from Gannett, WKYC had solo anchors on almost all newscasts from 2009 until 2012. The one exception was the 7pm newscast, first with Eric Mansfield and Monica Robins, then with Chris Tye and Robin Swoboda. After Chris was promoted to their early morning news to be Erin Kennedy's co-anchor, longtime sports anchor Jim Donovan became Robin's co-anchor at 7pm.

The only newscasts on WKYC today that still utilize a solo anchor is their weekend morning news, which is helmed by Kim Wheeler.

WEWS has solo anchors on the weekends (Josh Boose on Saturday mornings, Tracey Carlos weekend evenings) and so does WOIO (Lydia Esparra weekend evenings). Last I checked, Jennifer Jordan solo anchors WJW's noon news, and Bill Sheil occasionally will solo anchor their weekend evening news (though he's had co-anchors of recent).

I remember in the mid/late 1990's, veteran Philadelphia anchor Larry Kane anchored KYW-3 Eyewitness News at 11pm solo, and when KYW revamped as CBS 3; Marc Howard took over the solo anchoring duties at 11pm as well from January 6th to September of 2003.

Archived