Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

Would make perfect sense for Meredith to purchase KMOV.

Top 25 market? Check.

Market leader (#1 or #2 in news)? Check.

The reason KTVK wasn't included as part of the divestiture is because Phoenix is a bit more fragmented than St. Louis, where the market was almost left with just five general entertainment stations (had Roberts sold to TCT instead of ION). KTVK is a pretty good asset in its own right; its news department is putting out the best newscasts it's seen since the mid-90s, they have a contract with the Phoenix Coyotes to air ten games (this season) marking its first sports since it lost the Diamondbacks in 2008, and it owns quite a bit of solid syndicated programming (Wheel, Jeopardy, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, Inside Edition, etc.).

Since KMOV and KSDK is the top two in St. Louis Then is KTVK and KPNX are the top two in Phoenix or this is because Phoenix Belo and Gannett are not the top two like St. Louis

The Phoenix market has five major stations: KTVK, KPHO (CBS), KSAZ (Fox), KPNX (NBC), and KNXV (ABC). All five have news operations, and pretty comprehensive ones at that (KTVK and KSAZ produce roughly the same amount of weekly news, which is a lot!).

KTVK is an independent (and has effectively been since the fall of 1994). Locally owned until 1999 (and now again with Sander, who once was an executive at KTVK), it used to be that 3TV was pretty fluffy (the "Place with More Fluff" jab was pretty accurate for a while there). However they have had a great turnaround and are now one of the better newscasts in town, if the ratings are yet to follow. 3TV also has those Coyotes games and syndicated programs.

KPNX has been the market leader for most of the time since the mid-90s (coinciding with the switches of '94 that stripped KTVK of any chance at a network affiliation and the rise of NBC in the ratings; KPNX was unaffected). It is co-located with its sister paper the Arizona Republic (acquired by Gannett in 2000) at the latter's downtown Phoenix facilities. 12 is still pretty highly rated, though it's not what it was in its zenith.

KPHO (Meredith), KSAZ (Fox) and KNXV (Scripps) round out the market; KPHO has gotten stronger in news lately with a fairly tabloid approach. KSAZ is actually pretty fluffy but they're a decidedly traditional newscast in places (a nod to their CBS days). KNXV has always been looking for success and has trouble getting it; they're copying a lot of KPHO's franchise reporting emphasis, and they're generally the worst of the five news operations.

The short answer is no. KMOV and KSDK *are* the decided #1 and #2 in St. Louis, in a way that doesn't exist in Phoenix.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Gannett keep KMOV and sell KSDK instead perhaps? Another possibility I can think of is a trade with another company in a similar market with no Gannett assets.

Hard to say who the frontrunner is, but the fact that is a CBS affiliate in a top-25 market could eliminate some contenders. I doubt Scripps would be interested (they have no CBS stations), and Hearst is probably a longshot as well (only two CBS stations) if KMOV is the station on the market. St. Louis is probably too big for Nexstar as well, and perhaps a bit big for Raycom. St. Louis is also probably too small for CBS itself to buy it back as an O&O.

If I were to make a prediction, I agree Meredith is the frontrunner, on geography, affiliation and market size. LIN might be a good contender as well, as might Media General be. Sinclair is always hungry and certainly would love KMOV, but would face the same conflict issues (although between the #1 and #4 stations in the market).

Overall, I would say Meredith, LIN and Media General are the most likely candidates.

My prediction:

---------------------------------------------------------

KMOV - Meredith, Cox, Media General, LIN Media, or CBS

KTVK - Cox, Media General, Tribune, Graham, or LIN Media

That's all I can think of for right now. Just hope and pray it's not Sinclair.

I doubt CBS would want to come back to KMOV. Other than that, its anybody's game. NY Times says the this independent entity has to be approved by the government, and a federal judge has to approve this settlement.

Anyone at CBS during the Tisch-era divestiture of KMOX-TV (which CBS was forced into after Ted Turner's infamous hostile takeover attempt) is likely long gone. Plus the current CBS is, for all intents and purposes, the former Westinghouse/Group W. There is really no connection or emotional attachment to KMOV on CBS' part now.

Oddly enough, S!nclair would make sense as a buyer, especially since 1) it could be a consolation prize if the FCC and DOJ derail their purchase of Allbritron, and 2) ... KNDL.

That being said, I would agree, it's anyone's game.

Anyone at CBS during the Tisch-era divestiture of KMOX-TV (which CBS was forced into after Ted Turner's infamous hostile takeover attempt) is likely long gone. Plus the current CBS is, for all intents and purposes, the former Westinghouse/Group W. There is really no connection or emotional attachment to KMOV on CBS' part now.

Oddly enough, S!nclair would make sense as a buyer, especially since 1) it could be a consolation prize if the FCC and DOJ derail their purchase of Allbritron, and 2) ... KNDL.

That being said, I would agree, it's anyone's game.

CBS still has KMOX radio here in St. Louis (similar setup to WCCO and KDKA). But outside of that and 2 FM stations, that's it. I don't think CBS is in a buying mood either although they would probably be my first preferred option.

I also like Meredith and since KCTV and KMOV are run similar, I don't think there would be too dramatic of a change. But that being said, I'm not sure if they're in a buying mood either.

I really would hate to see Sinclair buy KMOV (especially considering the crap job they run KDNL) but I'm not sure what other seriously potential buyers there are at the moment?

I also like Meredith and since KCTV and KMOV are run similar, I don't think there would be too dramatic of a change. But that being said, I'm not sure if they're in a buying mood either.

No. Stephen Lacy stated twice that he's willing to buy, but vowed that he wouldn't want to get into any bidding wars with other buyers.

No. Stephen Lacy stated twice that he's willing to buy, but vowed that he wouldn't want to get into any bidding wars with other buyers.

I must've missed that earlier. This quote really caught my eye.

Meredith's target list includes TV stations in the top 25 markets in the United States that have the No. 1- or No. 2-rated local news broadcasts.

Which is exactly what KMOV is. Plus as I said before, Meredith owns the CBS station in Kansas City (KCTV) so they're pretty similar to one another.

I take back what I said, I think Meredith might actually make a good effort for this station (and is my preferred choice because I really like how they run KCTV).

People in Phoenix better start monitoring KTVK post-sale. If Gannett doesn't keep their promises that it will be a separate operation from KPNX and The Arizona Republic, I will say "I told you so." The DOJ made a major oversight here.

Given Sanders's history with KTVK (as an executive) Phoenix will probably be run separately.

KSAZ is actually pretty fluffy but they're a decidedly traditional newscast in places (a nod to their CBS days).

Well Doug Bannard has been their ND for over 20 years now so...

Meredith's target list includes TV stations in the top 25 markets in the United States that have the No. 1- or No. 2-rated local news broadcasts.

Wow, talk about being lazy. Says a lot about Meredith and the fact they have to rely on somebody else's efforts at making the station #1. All their heritage stations (ones they've owned for 20 or more years) are last place. Oh and if they buy KMOV, instead of seeing "The Great Gas Giveaway" during sweeps (which is standard for BELO stations, as KENS does it as well), you'll see them offering to "Pay Your Mortgage (or rent) for a Year!" as well as "Better St. Louis".

Anyway glad they are finally dumping KMOV. Would be nice if they dumped KTVK too but oh well. Either or FOX and ABC15 will still be my go-to stations for Arizona news.

Wow, talk about being lazy. Says a lot about Meredith and the fact they have to rely on somebody else's efforts at making the station #1. All their heritage stations (ones they've owned for 20 or more years) are last place. Oh and if they buy KMOV, instead of seeing "The Great Gas Giveaway" during sweeps (which is standard for BELO stations, as KENS does it as well), you'll see them offering to "Pay Your Mortgage (or rent) for a Year!" as well as "Better St. Louis".

Anyway glad they are finally dumping KMOV. Would be nice if they dumped KTVK too but oh well. Either or FOX and ABC15 will still be my go-to stations for Arizona news.

The question is though, who else is buying and can hold or create a market leader?

Well Doug Bannard has been their ND for over 20 years now so...

Huh? All the stations Meredith has owned for 20+ years are in last place? Kansas City is a solid #2 , so is Phoenix (maybe #3 of five stations) and Flint-Saginaw. There's no way KSHB could be ahead of KCTV, or WEYI ahead of WNEM.

Huh? All the stations Meredith has owned for 20+ years are in last place? Kansas City is a solid #2 , so is Phoenix (maybe #3 of five stations) and Flint-Saginaw. There's no way KSHB could be ahead of KCTV, or WEYI ahead of WNEM.

KCTV has been challenging KMBC's dominance in Kansas City for quite some time now (having the stronger CBS lineup and Chiefs football helps). KSHB is the one that's an afterthought in that market.

Are either one in a buying mood though?

COX bought a few of the Newport stations last year. CBS is hard to say but I can't imagine them at the very least not sniffing around.

COX bought a few of the Newport stations last year. CBS is hard to say but I can't imagine them at the very least not sniffing around.

Yeah, but the factor behind Cox's purchases was that they already had a radio presence in those markets. Cox has no radio presence in St. Louis, so I don't think it's likely they're interested in KMOV.

I think CBS would be more likely just because we already have KMOX here in St. Louis which is one of the crown jewels for CBS Radio. I think CBS will at least sniff around, but whether or not they'll do anything more than that is anyone's guess.

Top 25 market? Check.

Market leader (#1 or #2 in news)? Check.

The reason KTVK wasn't included as part of the divestiture is because Phoenix is a bit more fragmented than St. Louis, where the market was almost left with just five general entertainment stations (had Roberts sold to TCT instead of ION). KTVK is a pretty good asset in its own right; its news department is putting out the best newscasts it's seen since the mid-90s, they have a contract with the Phoenix Coyotes to air ten games (this season) marking its first sports since it lost the Diamondbacks in 2008, and it owns quite a bit of solid syndicated programming (Wheel, Jeopardy, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, Inside Edition, etc.).

The Phoenix market has five major stations: KTVK, KPHO (CBS), KSAZ (Fox), KPNX (NBC), and KNXV (ABC). All five have news operations, and pretty comprehensive ones at that (KTVK and KSAZ produce roughly the same amount of weekly news, which is a lot!).

KTVK is an independent (and has effectively been since the fall of 1994). Locally owned until 1999 (and now again with Sander, who once was an executive at KTVK), it used to be that 3TV was pretty fluffy (the "Place with More Fluff" jab was pretty accurate for a while there). However they have had a great turnaround and are now one of the better newscasts in town, if the ratings are yet to follow. 3TV also has those Coyotes games and syndicated programs.

KPNX has been the market leader for most of the time since the mid-90s (coinciding with the switches of '94 that stripped KTVK of any chance at a network affiliation and the rise of NBC in the ratings; KPNX was unaffected). It is co-located with its sister paper the Arizona Republic (acquired by Gannett in 2000) at the latter's downtown Phoenix facilities. 12 is still pretty highly rated, though it's not what it was in its zenith.

KPHO (Meredith), KSAZ (Fox) and KNXV (Scripps) round out the market; KPHO has gotten stronger in news lately with a fairly tabloid approach. KSAZ is actually pretty fluffy but they're a decidedly traditional newscast in places (a nod to their CBS days). KNXV has always been looking for success and has trouble getting it; they're copying a lot of KPHO's franchise reporting emphasis, and they're generally the worst of the five news operations.

The short answer is no. KMOV and KSDK *are* the decided #1 and #2 in St. Louis, in a way that doesn't exist in Phoenix.

The Fox/New World deal that moved the Fox affiliation to KSAZ, and ABC's deal with KNXV owner Scripps that stripped KTVK of ABC lost KTVK any chance of a network affiliation. Not long after KTVK dropped the last ABC programs from its schedule (a tiered process that resulted in KTVK keeping primetime shows and sports shortly before KNXV, which began airing most other ABC shows that 3TV started dropping, officially joined ABC). Not long afterwards, it snagged The WB as an affiliation but tape-delayed the network's Wednesday night shows (the only day of programming it offered until expanding to Sundays and adding the Monday-Saturday Kids' WB block in September '95) on Saturdays.

When KASW signed on, what became MAC America (KTVK's then-owner) entered into an LMA with that station and moved the WB affiliation there. That part seemed odd to me when reading up on both stations, since the impetus for the LMA was primarily for KTVK to be able to unload some of the heavy amount of syndicated programs it acquired post-ABC that KTVK had a hard time fitting onto its schedule (so much so, it canned its Saturday morning newscast for a time) while maintaining a news-intensive format simultaneously. You would think that MAC America would have kept The WB on 3 and just moved the extra syndie shows and Fox Kids to channel 61. It did work out for them in the end though, since KTVK has been quite profitable as an independent.

As far as who would buy KMOV, for the reasons given here, Meredith and CBS would make sense as potential buyers. LIN, Media General and Cox (and I'll throw this out there, Hearst, since they do own CBS stations) are kind of a crapshoot. If the boys from Hunt Valley were to buy it, they'd have to dump KDNL to Cunningjam or Deerfield to get it since Tribune's purchase of KTVI through Local TV used up the only legal duopoly possible in St. Louis; I wouldn't put it past them if they did buy KMOV: it'd give KDNL a news presence if they pulled an "Eyewitness News" (Nexstar's Scranton news operation with WBRE and WYOU) and add news simulcasts there. It's probably the only way KDNL would get a news department unless ABC did what Fox did to KOKH here in '96 (long before Sinclair bought it) and suggested they start a news department from scratch (again) in order to keep its affiliation.

As far as who would buy KMOV, for the reasons given here, Meredith and CBS would make sense as potential buyers. LIN, Media General and Cox (and I'll throw this out there, Hearst, since they do own CBS stations) are kind of a crapshoot. If the boys from Hunt Valley were to buy it, they'd have to dump KDNL to Cunningjam or Deerfield to get it since Tribune's purchase of KTVI through Local TV used up the only legal duopoly possible in St. Louis; I wouldn't put it past them if they did buy KMOV: it'd give KDNL a news presence if they pulled an "Eyewitness News" (Nexstar's Scranton news operation with WBRE and WYOU) and add news simulcasts there. It's probably the only way KDNL would get a news department unless ABC did what Fox did to KOKH here in '96 (long before Sinclair bought it) and suggested they start a news department from scratch (again) in order to keep its affiliation.

An attempted Sinclair acquisition of KMOV, for the same reasons as an attempted Gannett acquisition of KMOV, would be heavily scrutinized. The market is so thoroughly consolidated that only a new owner can enter the market.

An attempted Sinclair acquisition of KMOV, for the same reasons as an attempted Gannett acquisition of KMOV, would be heavily scrutinized. The market is so thoroughly consolidated that only a new owner can enter the market.

I agree. If Sinclair tried to use the Cunningham/Deerfield shell game to get KMOV, it's going to open their entire shell game operation to a lot of scrutiny. And considering the scrutiny they're already facing with their attempt to acquire Allbritton, they would be stupid to try to do the same thing with KMOV.

I agree. If Sinclair tried to use the Cunningham/Deerfield shell game to get KMOV, it's going to open their entire shell game operation to a lot of scrutiny. And considering the scrutiny they're already facing with their attempt to acquire Allbritton, they would be stupid to try to do the same thing with KMOV.

Good points, but Sinclar mastered the SSA/LMA/JSA. They only got caught because of Glencairn's attempted purchase of KOKH and even then neither the FCC or DoJ did anything about Sinclair's control of Glencairn through the Smith's 97% stock interest other than a fine. Mind you, that deal involved a Fox affiliate and what was then WB-affiliated KOCB (now in a legal duopoly with KOKH since Sinclair replaced Glencairn as the prospective licensee once duopolies were legalized), though Glencairn/Cunningham-Sinclair had virtual duops involving two Big Four affiliates in other markets. The DoJ's ruling on Gannett and Sander divesting KMOV shows that they acknowledge some of the issues that could result from these management agreements (even though St. Louis is a special case) that can be traced back to Sinclair. Gannett tried it and was forced to sell off a station. Whether the DoJ will make similar ruling with Sinclair's Allbritton deal remains to be seen.

In reading about the ruling further, Sinclair may not have a chance since a sale of KMOV has to be approved by the court, meaning the owner likely can't be one that has an existing television property in St. Louis. If Meredith or Hearst did buy KMOV it'd mean one less odd man out in this M&A spree. Given both have either lost out or not been considered in contention for the stations that had been bought by other companies the past two-and-a-half years, I've had it in that they would be the only major groups that would get shafted.

Though I do think CBS is the obvious choice for KMOV, I'm a bit surprised no one's thought of FOX re-entering the market, especially with how well the Cardinals have done and the Rams...existing. The revenue potential from the Cards being in the World Series every other year (it seems) has to be huge.

Trib having a CBS/CW duop wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Though I do think CBS is the obvious choice for KMOV, I'm a bit surprised no one's thought of FOX re-entering the market, especially with how well the Cardinals have done and the Rams...existing. The revenue potential from the Cards being in the World Series every other year (it seems) has to be huge.

I think Fox might be satisfied with just being affiliated with KTVI. Given that Tribune and Fox have a fairly solid affiliate relationship, them purchasing KTVI and six other former Fox O&Os will solidify this, I think Fox will stay affiliated with KTVI for quite a while. Then again, there were reports that Fox wanted to add O&Os in other NFC markets, but (even though Fox is still somewhat under the ownership cap) that'll be hard to fully accomplish if the UHF discount is eliminated and the ownership cap stays at 39%. Not to mention that certain companies that own a Fox affiliate in an NFC market may not be willing to sell, unless Fox pulls off what they did with WJZY or something.

KTVI has five years to go on their lucrative ten-year Fox affiliation contract.

It would be funny, albeit totally unlikely, if ABC bought KMOV instead. Because KDNL.

KTVI has five years to go on their lucrative ten-year Fox affiliation contract.

It would be funny, albeit totally unlikely, if ABC bought KMOV instead. Because KDNL.

If they didn't go after WJLA, they won't go after KMOV.

But it would be perhaps the most epic troll ever for the broadcasting industry if ABC does actually do it (again, not very likely).

But Fox had it's chance when Local TV was up for sale to get back some of the stations they sold off. If they didn't do it then, I doubt they're worried about St. Louis now.

Archived