Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

I agree. The Belo standardized graphics are awful. The Gannett standardized graphics are really, really, really good. G3 puts out quality work and while there sadly will be some redundancies at Belo gfx departments, it'll be an improvement over what they have.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

©2013 KENS-TV - San Antonio - Gannett Co. Inc.

I'll go watch at 10 to confirm that. That's not how they usually close the news. I hope you didn't just see that WCNC graphic and then make the copyrights up. KENS has always copyrighted "©2013 KENS-TV INC." Only mention of Belo would be the graphic at the end.

I honestly have not watched a full KENS newscast in over 6 months because their product sucks big time. But I'll watch just for tonight.

WWL already changed their closing copyright liner at the end of their 5pm.

"©2013 WWL-TV - New Orleans - Gannett Co. Inc."

It won't be long before those "It's all within reach" sounders be shown at the end of the broadcast.

Don't forget the ubiquitous "A GANNETT COMPANY" next to the station logo on the website.

I'll go watch at 10 to confirm that. That's not how they usually close the news. I hope you didn't just see that WCNC graphic and then make the copyrights up. KENS has always copyrighted "©2013 KENS-TV INC." Only mention of Belo would be the graphic at the end.

I honestly have not watched a full KENS newscast in over 6 months because their product sucks big time. But I'll watch just for tonight.

No, it is real. It was put up at the end of their 6pm newscast before NBC Nightly News starts.

In case anyone was wondering, KMOV hasn't mentioned anything about their new owner as of yet on either their newscasts or their website.

However the closing copyright liner is ©2013 KMOV St. Louis . It's also worth noting that the closing Belo graphic at the end is gone on KMOV as well.

Don't forget the ubiquitous "A GANNETT COMPANY" next to the station logo on the website.

It's at the bottom of the Web site:

©2013 WWL-TV, Inc., A Gannett Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Broadcast Interactive Media.

And this is at the bottom of WHAS' Web site:

©2013 WHAS-TV, Sander Holdings Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Gannett Broadcasting Service Center. Hosted by Broadcast Interactive Media.

It's at the bottom of the Web site:

©2013 WWL-TV, Inc., A Gannett Company. All Rights Reserved.

And this is at the bottom of WHAS' Web site:

©2013 WHAS-TV, Sander Holdings Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Gannett Broadcasting Service Center. Hosted by Broadcast Interactive Media.

This is KMOV's for the time being:

©2013 KMOV, Sander Holdings Company. All Rights Reserved.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Gannett announce on its website that Sander is selling KMOV to Meredith, PLUS, Sander is spinning off KTVK to Meredith, while KASW to SagamoreHill, which Meredith will operate. Full price, $407M.

I assume KTVK is NOT one of the top four stations in the Phoenix market...

Yes KENS closed with that stupid copyright. UGH, it's so stupid. There is nothing wrong with the old copyright. Yes they also had a new Gannett ID, but closed the newscast, then aired commercials, then aired the ID, then went to CBS Late Night (the BELO ID was the same way). I shot video of the closer on my phone (yes I have a capture card but I was too lazy to hook it up). Yes as a bonus I left in the awful San Antonio local commercials so that way you can see how it aired (closer, commercials, then ID; not closer then ID like all the other stations). Maybe on Christmas Day as a present I will capture everything with my capture card so you can have better quality.

[yt]RU0ZYamGl9M[/yt]

(if you don't want to suffer through the commercials, the Gannett ID is at ~3:55; yes at 3:03 I muttered to myself "come on already", too many commercials I had to suffer through ;))

I did not actually watch the newscast to see if they mentioned the owner, but really who cares anyways?

Here's the copyright as seen on KENS (three pictures pieced into one):

5lfo.png

(the phone camera does not pick up black on white on a TV screen very well but it's readable enough)

And you thought Sinclair was worse...

I wish Belo would not have sold to a company that wants to shove their ownership down our throat like they're god. Oh well, it's gonna take some getting used to. Hopefully people who live in a Gannett market (as in pre-Belo) hopefully they put out a decent product under that ownership group. Will I see any changes here in SA?

And the most important question, did any of the stations see any management changes as a result. I know when Sinclair took over OAI here last year, they fired the old GM and brought in their own guy? Is that happening at any of the now former Belo properties? It would be nice if Gannett fired Bob McGann (KENS GM) and they hired fresh blood there, they need it.

If Post-Newsweek were to get gobbled like everyone else has been speculating, then three of San Antonio's four major English stations would have all changed ownership within the past two years.

In case anyone was wondering, KMOV hasn't mentioned anything about their new owner as of yet on either their newscasts or their website.

However the closing copyright liner is ©2013 KMOV St. Louis . It's also worth noting that the closing Belo graphic at the end is gone on KMOV as well.

Don't expect them to. Gannett is just the caretaker until Meredith closes in. Shouldn't take long, maybe three months at the most.

Oh and the website copyright is the same as WWL.

Probably not, due to either the existence of four network-affiliated stations (though I would suspect that KNXV might not be top 4) or a very large Hispanic audience (KTVW would be much more likely than KTAZ to be top 4). Don't forget that the latter allowed Nexstar to create a real duopoly in Fresno (KSEE/KGPE) and also would have permitted Post-Newsweek to buy WTVJ (funnily enough, here we are in 2013, and we might have seen that acquisition approved if it came up now).

I wish Belo would not have sold to a company that wants to shove their ownership down our throat like they're god.

Come to Canada

Bell pretty much shoves its ownership down your throat, and would like to remind you that just about everything is a division of Bell Media

On the webpages, I've seen all their have the copyright liners at the bottom of the existing page with "a Gannett Company". But that's nothing, when they get the new websites. Yes, "A GANNETT COMPANY" will be a common occurance before too long.

I wish they resurrect the Deathstar and sounder.

They didn't mention about the Meredith acquisition? That's shocking.

Meanwhile, Gannett is transitioning out the Belo website, removing the Belo logo to the Gannett logo on the header. LOL. They could've redirected belo.com straight to the Gannett site without doing this.

KTVK didn't either, but KPHO did:

http://www.kpho.com/story/24288740/meredith-to-expand-phoenix-tv-presence-with-purchase-of-ktvk

It wouldn't surprise me if KPHO is the 5th or lower ranked station in the market. KTVK's long history, independence and news-heavy schedule are their greatest assets and could spell doom for KPHO's news division if they are paling in comparison.

Even though KPHO has been a VHF station (historically) and the oldest station in Phoenix, they dropped CBS and the other affiliations about 6 years after their sign on and remained an independent until 1994. They obtained CBS after it was booted from KSAZ, who was part of the New World-Fox deal, and as a secondary consequence, Scripps' deal with ABC stripped KTVK of their affiliation with them and put ABC on the former FOX affiliate....KNXV.

In conclusion, KPHO's news division had been small until 1994 (only doing a primetime show), whereas KTVK's has been long established, and enhanced when they lost ABC in 1995. KNXV only built a news department around the time ABC was about to swap affiliates....

It wouldn't surprise me if KPHO is the 5th or lower ranked station in the market. KTVK's long history, independence and news-heavy schedule are their greatest assets and could spell doom for KPHO's news division if they are paling in comparison.

Even though KPHO has been a VHF station (historically) and the oldest station in Phoenix, they dropped CBS and the other affiliations about 6 years after their sign on and remained an independent until 1994. They obtained CBS after it was booted from KSAZ, who was part of the New World-Fox deal, and as a secondary consequence, Scripps' deal with ABC stripped KTVK of their affiliation with them and put ABC on the former FOX affiliate....KNXV.

In conclusion, KPHO's news division had been small until 1994 (only doing a primetime show), whereas KTVK's has been long established, and enhanced when they lost ABC in 1995. KNXV only built a news department around the time ABC was about to swap affiliates....

KPHO also had a midday news as well: that and their 9:30 (9pm by 1994) was it. KNXV's news product went to air just four months before getting all of ABC, ahead of schedule.

In the other thread I analyzed the ratings for weekday news in Phoenix. KPHO and KTVK have complementary strengths, and combining their news operations really should be a question of taking the best pieces from each station (for KPHO, that's evenings; for KTVK, mornings, weather [Royal Norman has been with KTVK since the late 80s] and sports).

KPHO also had a midday news as well: that and their 9:30 (9pm by 1994) was it. KNXV's news product went to air just four months before getting all of ABC, ahead of schedule.

In the other thread I analyzed the ratings for weekday news in Phoenix. KPHO and KTVK have complementary strengths, and combining their news operations really should be a question of taking the best pieces from each station (for KPHO, that's evenings; for KTVK, mornings, weather [Royal Norman has been with KTVK since the late 80s] and sports).

Raymie, isn't ABC15 last place in Phoenix?

At the end of WWL's morning news the copyright graphic stated that WWL was a subsidiary of Belo Corp. I guess some people at WWL aren't quite used to Gannett being the owner.

They're still running the Belo thing at the end? That's interesting, but it could've been a miscue unless its still happening for every newscast.

KMOV dropped any mention of Belo once the deal was finalized.

Archived