Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

Is that still going? I thought they got rid of it a while ago. I wouldn't know since I don't have Cox.

It still is, and it is quite outdated.

What I would do is put the "Weather Now" operation currently on 5.2, stick some news headlines into the server, and make that cable only using the AZ News Channel position. No need for a three-hour interruption for FCC-mandated kids shows nobody's watching (and, in the case of KPHO Weather Now, would give nightmares to kids if they do accidently run into the channel). It would be a good way to free up the subchannel bandwidth for something more people would watch and actually make $$$ on.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Gannett question here for anyone.... Is WUSA the flagship station for the company or what station is the company flagship? I assume WUSA because the owners and the station are in the same area.....

Ignoring the Belo acquisition, Gannett has 4 flagships: WUSA, WKYC, WXIA and KUSA (all related to the flagship status at different capacities). However, now with the Belo acquisition, I may had WFAA in there as well. It very well depends on what happens in the coming months and years.

I just

Ignoring the Belo acquisition, Gannett has 4 flagships: WUSA, WKYC, WXIA and KUSA (all related to the flagship status at different capacities). However, now with the Belo acquisition, I may had WFAA in there as well. It very well depends on what happens in the coming months and years.

With WUSA being in D.C. and the company headquaters being in VA ok I get that, but where did you come up with WKYC? WXIA & KUSA and maybe KPNX I could see because they were all apart of Gannett buying/merging Combined Communications Corp.

However I was wondering it seems if WUSA is the flagship station for Gannett; it seems they've slashed the budget so much the stations in bare bones. WUSA (during their heyday) they were #1 just trying to figure out what going on WUSA 9..

I just

With WUSA being in D.C. and the company headquaters being in VA ok I get that, but where did you come up with WKYC? WXIA & KUSA and maybe KPNX I could see because they were all apart of Gannett buying/merging Combined Communications Corp.

However I was wondering it seems if WUSA is the flagship station for Gannett; it seems they've slashed the budget so much the stations in bare bones. WUSA (during their heyday) they were #1 just trying to figure out what going on WUSA 9..

Wasn't WUSA the first to get the new Gannett graphics package? It seems like Gannett is actually putting some effort into that station for once, although they still have a long way to go to be on par with stations like WRC, WTTG and even WJLA.

Wasn't WUSA the first to get the new Gannett graphics package? It seems like Gannett is actually putting some effort into that station for once, although they still have a long way to go to be on par with stations like WRC, WTTG and even WJLA.

It appears that WFMY got the package first... or at least the first station noticed by the board back in December 2012. WUSA got the package about a month later. It's been a while since I was back in DC but I always known that WUSA was always trying mightily to make its newscasts more popular, but generally just failing all the same.

And now, Free Press has filed an Application for Review asking the FCC to overturn the Media Bureau's decision to approve the Gannett/Belo deal. They also did the same thing for the Tribune/Local TV deal. Of course, since the deal has been completed, this probably won't go anywhere.

It's a little too late, I'm a little too gone...

Guest NewsHound

It appears that WFMY got the package first... or at least the first station noticed by the board back in December 2012. WUSA got the package about a month later. It's been a while since I was back in DC but I always known that WUSA was always trying mightily to make its newscasts more popular, but generally just failing all the same.

You're both close but no cigar. The first station to receive the new Gannett graphics and music was WTSP in Tampa, FL.

It's a pretty tough market to compete it in when you have established rivals like WRC which has been dominating in the market until recently (I think WJLA is on WRC's tail at the moment), it's been hard for viewers to change their news watching habits even with the strong CBS prime time lineup.

I don't know why I forgot about WFMY and WTSP.

Weren't the graphics snuck onto WFMY very quietly before being rolled out to WTSP shortly after? It seems like the same thing happened with the new website and the 2008 graphics. Experiment on the smaller stations before implementing it on the bigger ones. Either way, KUSA has always been near the last, if not the last, in getting changes.

A Gannett question here for anyone.... Is WUSA the flagship station for the company or what station is the company flagship? I assume WUSA because the owners and the station are in the same area.....

Regarding flagship status... I kinda said that tongue-in-cheek given how WUSA had been mired in 3rd place for over a decade or so, but they do seem to refer to themselves as the flagship, which isn't too far-fetched given (a) the corporate headquarters is nearby and ( b ) the DC market is an important market--and before the purchase of Belo, WUSA was their station in the largest media market (save for the year Atlanta edged out DC). That said, in corporate descriptions, I've also seen KUSA called the flagship as well. [Citation needed] Wikipedia adds WXIA as a flagship, but of couse with the bracketed parenthetical. I guess WKYC could come from being the station Gannett bought from NBC (well, the 49% they didn't already own after they bought Multimedia).

So, what does Gannett consider its flagships and why? I would be curious to know as well.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-22/gannett-seen-divorcing-print-from-tv-after-belo-real-m-a.html

Bloomberg's take on the idea of Gannett splitting print from their television division.

I think it makes a lot of sense....it worked wonders for Media General when they dumped most of their papers to Warren Buffett.

As for who could buy them....

On the other hand, what could have influenced Belo to sell to Gannett was the debt load imposed on Belo when they broke off from AH Belo....all the debt from the newspaper side was saddled on the broadcast side....

This isn't happening right now. Those "Real M&A" articles use "seen" in their headlines to bait people into clicking on them. They really mean "seen" through their crystal ball.

I've corrected my post. I knew it was a speculation article...it could be a potential scenario since Gannett has been cutting back on the print side over the past several years, and such a deal may be worthwhile seeing how newspapers are regarded these days.

Is that still going? I thought they got rid of it a while ago. I wouldn't know since I don't have Cox.

The Arizona News Channel was running on Cox14 until they did a channel reshuffle which resulted in it moving to Channel 82. For some people with basic cable and no cable box, it did go away as you need one to receive Channel 82.

• 1 month later...

Many Belo stations will go over to the Gannett graphics and website this year. They are already upgrading the news software and graphics hardware at Belo stations to the Gannett standard versions. Very firm and rapid deadlines for these installs. Summer is the target for several Belo stations to change graphics.

Many Belo stations will go over to the Gannett graphics and website this year. They are already upgrading the news software and graphics hardware at Belo stations to the Gannett standard versions. Very firm and rapid deadlines for these installs. Summer is the target for several Belo stations to change graphics.

Bleh, can't wait for KENS to move to these graphics (sarcasm)

Hope many Belo stations keep their current news themes, Propulsion (615 Music version of The Spirit) is still my favorite themes.

Remember, WKYC even used Propulsion for a while in 2012, eschewing the dreadful Rampage Music theme. While This Is Home is FAR from perfect (I'd rather WKYC revert to using The Tower, or even The Great News Package) at least it's far more tolerable than Rampage.

Archived