Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or they could do like NBC does with Artworks and operate two graphic hubs under the G3 name, in Denver and in Texas.

"Artworks" is the name of the entire NBCU graphics unit, not just the O&O graphics hub. They have offices out of NYC, Fort Worth, and Burbank (if I'm remembering right).

However, only the Fort Worth branch of Artworks services the O&Os, and it's still known internally by its original name, "The Arthouse". So they're operating one graphical hub. The NYC office mainly develops for NBC News, and I think the Burbank branch, if there is one, is network creative services.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like it if the hub stayed in Denver. The current G3 package is incredibly innovative and distinctive, and I'd hate to lose that.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like it if the hub stayed in Denver. The current G3 package is incredibly innovative and distinctive, and I'd hate to lose that.

Yes you are. I don't care for the current Gannett graphics. They look like something you would see on an I-Pad. I like the current Belo graphics and would rather see that go groupwide. There's tweaks that need to be made but I'd rather see Belo's stuff go groupwide. Also it doesn't matter where they locate the hub as G3 did not even design the graphics; they just executed them. However, they should make This is Home the theme song for the group. KENS is using tired cuts from Interceptor and Newsforce. Time for something fresh.

And see, I'm with Hulkie. Having seen both graphics in use, I prefer the approach of the Gannett set to the Belo set. The Belo set has some nice opens and animations, but the Gannett set's approach to delivering information is better.

It's probably the most modern local news lower third on television (with Scripps a bit behind that). It's certainly worlds ahead of what we see with the Fox O&O package, for instance.

And see, I'm with Hulkie. Having seen both graphics in use, I prefer the approach of the Gannett set to the Belo set. The Belo set has some nice opens and animations, but the Gannett set's approach to delivering information is better.

It's probably the most modern local news lower third on television (with Scripps a bit behind that). It's certainly worlds ahead of what we see with the Fox O&O package, for instance.

Still disagree. Hell I much prefer the Fox O&O package over the Gannett one. It's nice and clean. The Gannett one makes an attempt to be nice but the only things going for it are color coding of stories and the font used. Otherwise I don't care for it. The Gannett one clutters up the screen.

Still disagree. Hell I much prefer the Fox O&O package over the Gannett one. It's nice and clean. The Gannett one makes an attempt to be nice but the only things going for it are color coding of stories and the font used. Otherwise I don't care for it. The Gannett one clutters up the screen.

I don't really think it is that cluttered. If you want to see cluttered, look at the package they used to use. The new package is way better than what they used to have. This one actually does a really nice job of organizing the information that was on screen in the old gfx in a much cleaner fashion. But, to each his own.

Yes you are. I don't care for the current Gannett graphics. They look like something you would see on an I-Pad. I like the current Belo graphics and would rather see that go groupwide. There's tweaks that need to be made but I'd rather see Belo's stuff go groupwide. Also it doesn't matter where they locate the hub as G3 did not even design the graphics; they just executed them. However, they should make This is Home the theme song for the group. KENS is using tired cuts from Interceptor and Newsforce. Time for something fresh.

It looks like you are more in the minority. I like the Gannett graphics package better than the Belo one.

Let's make this clear. Each has there pros and cons.

Gannett Graphics:

Pros:

Clean, simple design, easily readable, delivers information efficiently, not abrasive nor overwhelming.

Cons:

Bland, very little 3D effect, not terribly eye-catching, muted hues, uninspired full-screen animations, no unique textures.

BELO Graphics:

Pros:

Much 3D effect, eye-catching, informs and performs, aesthetically pleasing, sharp color contrasts and unique textures.

Cons:

Abrasive, rushed/rough, too much noise (i.e. too many assets in one animation).

Let's face it guys (and gals), I see how you like the delivery of the information via the Gannett graphics, but the execution is as boring as a newspaper. I can also see how the package elements (opens, full-screens, double panes, etc..) of the BELO graphics can be be marveled at too.

Can we combine both?

Yes.

Where?

Dallas!

Why?

Because WFAA has a huge freakin' building and G3 is currently working out of the the KUSA building build in '93 before standardization was even an issue!

I've seen the G3 offices and it isn't much. We have literally grown by 100%. There are going to be more graphic artists needed to produce more content for all of the Gannett+former BELO stations! G3 has no room to expand! Where do they go? The gigantic WFAA building! Plus, as added benefit, G3 can offset some extra design requirements to NBC Artworks (they've designed the Nexstar Branding) so I know that they can handle outside work.

Problem? I think not. Case closed.

Maybe Troika should opt to do local market GFX besides their national OTA/Cable GFX packages.

Gannett and Troika go together like PB&J, IMO.

First, being born and raised here in Dallas for 28 years, I've seen the changes in the TV market including #5 Market. Even though WFAA and all the now former Belo stations are owned by Gannett; I would like it if ABC 8 and other former Belo stations keep their graphics and their news themes.

Second, this is my on the record statement; I'm not a fan of Gari Media Group's "This is Home" theme, and I don't want to see it on WFAA and KHOU as long as they keep their 615 Music's Propulsion.

And finally, When is Gannett going to step in, revamp and/or re-brand TXCN: Texas Cable News? TXCN needs new anchors, new talent, new reporters and/or new challenges to regional cable news network.

First, being born and raised here in Dallas for 28 years, I've seen the changes in the TV market including #5 Market. Even though WFAA and all the now former Belo stations are owned by Gannett; I would like it if ABC 8 and other former Belo stations keep their graphics and their news themes.

Second, this is my on the record statement; I'm not a fan of Gari Media Group's "This is Home" theme, and I don't want to see it on WFAA and KHOU as long as they keep their 615 Music's Propulsion.

And finally, When is Gannett going to step in, revamp and/or re-brand TXCN: Texas Cable News? TXCN needs new anchors, new talent, new reporters and/or new challenges to regional cable news network.

I highly doubt that any of your wishes, aside from the last one about TXCN, will be fulfilled.

And if it does get spun-off, spin-off to where?

It would be dumb if Gannett "spins-off" or "shut down" NWCN, which I think it's one of its successful cable channels. TXCN on the other hand, I'm not too sure what they're going to do with that. Since their website hasn't been updated in almost three years, they need to do something. Otherwise, why even keep TXCN at all? At least reformat it so it can at least be like NWCN.

And even though its nothing like TXCN or NWCN, I wish Gannett don't alter WWL's Newswatch 15.

And even though its nothing like TXCN or NWCN, I wish Gannett don't alter WWL's Newswatch 15.

I don't see why they would. It's run in the cheapest possible way and I think that Cox Communications is the one that really controls it and WWL just provides the content for it. It's a joint venture.

But I agree, I like watching Newswatch 15 when I'm down there and missed the news earlier that day.

The one venture I could see getting scrapped/retooled is the worthless AZ News Channel, but that's more of a question for the KPHO/KTVK consolidation. It just airs the latest KTVK newscast on a loop. Nothing exciting about it. It even got bumped into a channel position in the 80s from basic cable 14 recently.

The one venture I could see getting scrapped/retooled is the worthless AZ News Channel, but that's more of a question for the KPHO/KTVK consolidation. It just airs the latest KTVK newscast on a loop. Nothing exciting about it. It even got bumped into a channel position in the 80s from basic cable 14 recently.

Is that still going? I thought they got rid of it a while ago. I wouldn't know since I don't have Cox.

. TXCN on the other hand, I'm not too sure what they're going to do with that. Since their website hasn't been updated in almost three years, they need to do something. Otherwise, why even keep TXCN at all? At least reformat it so it can at least be like NWCN.

They need to just scrap TXCN completely. It's nothing more than a loop of the A-blocks from WFAA, KHOU, KVUE and KENS in succession with some (really poorly produced and executed) state-wide weather updates in between. Beyond that, there's nothing of value. I don't believe they even offer original programming anymore.

Archived