Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

The Gannett era has arrived at KHOU. Instead of the Belo sounder, they ran the Gannett graphic today at 4:00 (likely not the first time, just the first time I'm noticing it).

I have a feeling mattLAW is referring to the lower 3rd copyright banner. That would be easy to overlook since it's likely part of any master rundown the producer is working from and would need to be manually updated. I failed to notice if KHOU updated theirs.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WWL already changed their closing copyright liner at the end of their 5pm.

"©2013 WWL-TV - New Orleans - Gannett Co. Inc."

It won't be long before those "It's all within reach" sounders be shown at the end of the broadcast.

It was probably someone that came back this morning and put the old liner there. I just saw the end of the 5pm tonight, and they were using the new liner.

If I had a choice of what the liner should be, it should be like this.

"©2013 WWL-TV Inc., A Subsidiary of Gannett Co. Inc."

But just wait until those sounders come in all markets. It'll come to WWL sooner or later. I also can't wait for those new website come also. They have a better streaming player than the Belo sites.

I know nothing will happen in the near term, but it would be a sad day, should WFAA drop its 30-year Spirit of Texas musical logo, if they have to follow through with the Gannett's current graphics, and the Gari theme (WFAA never used Gari).

The Gannett era has arrived at KHOU. Instead of the Belo sounder, they ran the Gannett graphic today at 4:00 (likely not the first time, just the first time I'm noticing it).

I have a feeling mattLAW is referring to the lower 3rd copyright banner. That would be easy to overlook since it's likely part of any master rundown the producer is working from and would need to be manually updated. I failed to notice if KHOU updated theirs.

yes... the copyright notice is what I meant.

This may take a while to get used to:i0yf.png

Don't forget the Eyemark at the end (Gannett always add the network's logo to the station's logo. Seeing that TV5's is SanAnt's #1 News Leader for about three decades, Gannett will be a good match for KENS TV5).

Don't forget the Eyemark at the end (Gannett always add the network's logo to the station's logo. Seeing that TV5's is SanAnt's #1 News Leader for about three decades, Gannett will be a good match for KENS TV5).

They haven't been #1 since around 2006. KSAT dominates here and has since around 2006, especially after longtime anchors Chris Marrou and Fred Lozano retired. KENS is a strong second though and does win the 4pm. I just hope KENS gets a new logo period (like WUSA and KTHV did; I can tolerate those). I could see the website logo actually becoming the main logo. I've always hated KENS' current logo though. I couldn't care less if they added the CBS eye or not but considering almost all of the other Gannett stations have their network logo it seems likely. WMAZ has a version that incorporates the eye but it's not their primary logo.

Here's S.A.'s sweeps numbers from Nov from the record. Might as well post them here since you brought them up.

It was probably someone that came back this morning and put the old liner there. I just saw the end of the 5pm tonight, and they were using the new liner.

More likely the errant copyright notice was not changed out in the master rundown that hour's producer copies over on a daily basis. At least in my shop, certain graphics that run every day (copyright notices, the meteorologist's name in the weather slug, etc) are already included in the master as a time saver. Not sure which hour this would have run (at the end of the 8am? or do they run a copyright banner ever hour?) but it's easy to overlook or to fix it one day and forget to do it the next (and forget to swap it out in the master).

More likely the errant copyright notice was not changed out in the master rundown that hour's producer copies over on a daily basis. At least in my shop, certain graphics that run every day (copyright notices, the meteorologist's name in the weather slug, etc) are already included in the master as a time saver. Not sure which hour this would have run (at the end of the 8am? or do they run a copyright banner ever hour?) but it's easy to overlook or to fix it one day and forget to do it the next (and forget to swap it out in the master).

In the mornings, they show the liner at the end of the 4:30am, 5:30am, and at the end of the morning show. But on the evening shows, show the new liner. I find it hard to believe because at the end of the Tuesday and Wednesday mornings shows, showed the new copyright liner.

I remember when WWL debut the new Belo graphics last year, they had a completely different liner, instead of the normal liner. Instead of "©2013 WWL-TV Inc., A Subsidiary of Belo Corp." they used the generic "©2013 BELO CORPORATION". They didn't change that liner until after the Super Bowl.

Probably not, due to either the existence of four network-affiliated stations (though I would suspect that KNXV might not be top 4) or a very large Hispanic audience (KTVW would be much more likely than KTAZ to be top 4). Don't forget that the latter allowed Nexstar to create a real duopoly in Fresno (KSEE/KGPE) and also would have permitted Post-Newsweek to buy WTVJ (funnily enough, here we are in 2013, and we might have seen that acquisition approved if it came up now).

Meanwhile, I'm glad it didn't go through because I'm glad NBC has another owned & operated station in the Deep South aside from KXAS-TV. It makes all the more fun in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market to still have 2 English language network O&Os.

In the mornings, they show the liner at the end of the 4:30am, 5:30am, and at the end of the morning show. But on the evening shows, show the new liner. I find it hard to believe because at the end of the Tuesday and Wednesday mornings shows, showed the new copyright liner.

I remember when WWL debut the new Belo graphics last year, they had a completely different liner, instead of the normal liner. Instead of "©2013 WWL-TV Inc., A Subsidiary of Belo Corp." they used the generic "©2013 BELO CORPORATION". They didn't change that liner until after the Super Bowl.

Most likely a fill-in producer was aware enough to swap out the liner manually, but didn't have privileges (within the iNews or ENPS) to make the change permanent in the master. When the regular producer came back (or another fill-in took over those shows), he or she didn't follow through and make the change.

Like i said, it's easy to do. After I produce Sunday morning's newscast on Fox 26, I've set a reminder to swap out the copyright banner with a 2014 version so I don't have to worry about it the weekend following.

Meanwhile, I'm glad it didn't go through because I'm glad NBC has another owned & operated station in the Deep South aside from KXAS-TV. It makes all the more fun in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale market to still have 2 English language network O&Os.

That's if you consider Miami and Dallas to be considered part of the Deep South.

They should just go-ahead and buy MGM. With that close, it looks like they're in direct competition already. Seriously? Looks like Hollywood production company branding. Anyway, I'm just glad it was to Gannet, and then to Meredith, and not to Sinclair.

Is this new (WFAA Events)? I noticed it when a popup appeared on WFAA's site asking me to "localize the site" for their events page. This had been a thing on Gannett pages since back when Gannett became a partner in Tribune's Metromix project. (I'm unsure if they're still partners in Metromix.) I've seen it on a few other Belo sites, and the layout is similar to that on the legacy Gannett sites (WUSA Events).

Is this new (WFAA Events)? I noticed it when a popup appeared on WFAA's site asking me to "localize the site" for their events page. This had been a thing on Gannett pages since back when Gannett became a partner in Tribune's Metromix project. (I'm unsure if they're still partners in Metromix.) I've seen it on a few other Belo sites, and the layout is similar to that on the legacy Gannett sites (WUSA Events).

KENS has had that for a while. Layout may be similar because they are both powered by Datasphere and have a partnership with Gannett but they also had one with Belo. They also have one for Sinclair for instance.

Just checked, and the bottom of the page sections on WFAA.com shows a 2014 copyright date, with Gannett's name. No "USA Today" online look, though.

Don't expect them to for awhile. Hell not even all the legacy Gannett sites have upgraded yet.

Yeah it did. Is it showned on the legacy stations also?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E7c-knHHLA

Video Courtesy of randomteetotaler from YT.

This makes me miss the old Deathstar animation even more. :(

Wow somebody finally put a decent quality up on YT. The way this looks and sounds, I have a gut feeling it was put out at WFAA and not KUSA. Maybe plans are in the works to move G3 to Dallas?

I'm in love with it.

Wow somebody finally put a decent quality up on YT. The way this looks and sounds, I have a gut feeling it was put out at WFAA and not KUSA. Maybe plans are in the works to move G3 to Dallas?

I'm in love with it.

Or they could do like NBC does with Artworks and operate two graphic hubs under the G3 name, in Denver and in Texas.

KENS has had that for a while. Layout may be similar because they are both powered by Datasphere and have a partnership with Gannett but they also had one with Belo. They also have one for Sinclair for instance.

Don't expect them to for awhile. Hell not even all the legacy Gannett sites have upgraded yet.

WWL's site has had this for quite a while as well.

Archived