Gannett to acquire Belo

roscoryan

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they didn't go after WJLA, they won't go after KMOV.

But it would be perhaps the most epic troll ever for the broadcasting industry if ABC does actually do it (again, not very likely).

Oh, I think it's even less than 'not very likely.' I actually don't see any network getting KMOV. I just don't.

Scott Fybush raised a very salient point on this: that because of reverse compensation payments, CBS will likely make more from a future owner of KMOV than they would with it being an O&O. (KDKA-TV is likely in the same situation, but it's legacy standing as a heritage Group W outlet ensures their continued status as an O&O.)

Reverse compensation and market size are why I have a hard time seeing a rechristening of KMOX-TV any time soon, if ever.

Oh, I think it's even less than 'not very likely.' I actually don't see any network getting KMOV. I just don't.

Scott Fybush raised a very salient point on this: that because of reverse compensation payments, CBS will likely make more from a future owner of KMOV than they would with it being an O&O. (KDKA-TV is likely in the same situation, but it's legacy standing as a heritage Group W outlet ensures their continued status as an O&O.)

Reverse compensation and market size are why I have a hard time seeing a rechristening of KMOX-TV any time soon, if ever.

I don't see it happening either. It would be nice, but I don't think CBS is in the buying mood and Fybush's explanation was a pretty good reason why.

I disagree with him on Sinclair though, I think they would face even more scrutiny with this deal than they are with Allbritton if they decide to go after KMOV with their shell games. If the FCC wasn't cracking down on things like these, that would be one thing. But the FCC basically shot down Gannett's attempt at doing a sidecar in St. Louis so I can't see how Sinclair would have any better luck even if KDNL is #4 in the market.

Good points, but Sinclar mastered the SSA/LMA/JSA. They only got caught because of Glencairn's attempted purchase of KOKH and even then neither the FCC or DoJ did anything about Sinclair's control of Glencairn through the Smith's 97% stock interest other than a fine. Mind you, that deal involved a Fox affiliate and what was then WB-affiliated KOCB (now in a legal duopoly with KOKH since Sinclair replaced Glencairn as the prospective licensee once duopolies were legalized), though Glencairn/Cunningham-Sinclair had virtual duops involving two Big Four affiliates in other markets. The DoJ's ruling on Gannett and Sander divesting KMOV shows that they acknowledge some of the issues that could result from these management agreements (even though St. Louis is a special case) that can be traced back to Sinclair. Gannett tried it and was forced to sell off a station. Whether the DoJ will make similar ruling with Sinclair's Allbritton deal remains to be seen.

In reading about the ruling further, Sinclair may not have a chance since a sale of KMOV has to be approved by the court, meaning the owner likely can't be one that has an existing television property in St. Louis. If Meredith or Hearst did buy KMOV it'd mean one less odd man out in this M&A spree. Given both have either lost out or not been considered in contention for the stations that had been bought by other companies the past two-and-a-half years, I've had it in that they would be the only major groups that would get shafted.

It be great if Hearst would buy KMOV & KGW out of the Gannett/Belo deal. However Hearst only has (2) CBS affiliates in their portfolio, but would benefit from KMOV and the relationship with NBC and Hearst seems to be stellar. KGW would fit in like the perfect glove.

B&C states this morning that the FCC could greenlight the Gannett/Belo deal as early as tomorrow. They will count KMOV's spin-off app as is, but those parties (Gannett, Belo & Sander) will have 120 days to find an independent third-party entity, after that, the FCC will treat that as a separate AOL/TOC (assignment of license/transfer of control) app.

Also want to note in Dallas, since Gannett will own WFAA and will officially have nothing to do with A.H. Belo's newspaper, The Dallas Morning News, it was announce today that the newspaper will have a shared partnership with NBC O&O station KXAS-TV. The partnership will start January 1st.

Next up will likely be the Tribune-Local TV deal. I'm surprised this is going ahead of that one due to the bigger complications. I wonder if we should write letters to potential good owners to really consider this deal? Since we know Sinclair is going to be hungry for more, even if they have a challenge themselves.

Next up will likely be the Tribune-Local TV deal. I'm surprised this is going ahead of that one due to the bigger complications. I wonder if we should write letters to potential good owners to really consider this deal? Since we know Sinclair is going to be hungry for more, even if they have a challenge themselves.

They could greenlight that deal tomorrow too....

Now that the Deal is approved What are they gonna do with KMOV then? Since it was diversted, Is it gonna be in Sander's ownership for the time being until they find an new owner for it?

Basically.

Is there a set time frame in which Sander has to find a new owner for KMOV by?

Now that the Deal is approved What are they gonna do with KMOV then? Since it was diversted, Is it gonna be in Sander's ownership for the time being until they find an new owner for it?

As they did approve it, including the KMOV app, once its closes (and Gannett says they could do that by early next week), it'll be Sander's for now. But based on that DOJ consent decree, they have 120 days from that Monday date, to divest KMOV to an independent entity. But I don't think it would take too much time to find a buyer.

I'm going to show y'all one more article. And this was from the Dallas Morning News June 14, when the announcement of the deal happened. And this shows pictures of key moments throughout most of Belo's history.

Yeah, this cause for celebrating and jubilation. But this should also be a somber moment, not only because it was nearly a nine-decade Texas institution, but because one of best media companies is no longer here. And not only WFAA is no longer a flagship station, but what that WFAA piece say, is that no TV station in the Metroplex are locally-owned. So this is a somber day for the state, but I guess it's a great day for Gannett.

I have a statement from WFAA that was sent to my facebook page.

Hi Dontryl, thanks for writing. As far as we've been told, we're to expect no major changes at WFAA that you would notice on air and/or online.

Behind the scenes, we've been shifting to a couple different programs for producing the newscasts but beyond that, Gannett has indicated they're happy with the direction of the station and with the current staff. The merger will likely create some redundancies at the corporate level that will need to be addressed, but those would be Belo positions, not WFAA staff. We'll learn a bit more in the coming weeks but we don't foresee any major changes in where or how we produce the news here at Ch. 8!

We're excited about the deal and being a part of a company the size of Gannett should only increase our resources and capabilities to produce the best local journalism in the market.

WWL already changed their closing copyright liner at the end of their 5pm.

"©2013 WWL-TV - New Orleans - Gannett Co. Inc."

It won't be long before those "It's all within reach" sounders be shown at the end of the broadcast.

Same thing with WCNC in Charlotte, and also there's a possibility that they're getting new graphics as well.x8tr.jpg

It's not a matter of IF they're gonna get the Gannett graphics, but WHEN.

On a side note, I'd hate for Gannett to come in and have Channel 4 dumb the Eyewitness News branding, something WWL's been using for 50 years plus; I could settle for Channel 4 News, but it's not the same as Eyewitness News.

It's not a matter of IF they're gonna get the Gannett graphics, but WHEN.

They're just making some upgrades to the Gannett meat grinder; so it will take some time. A whole new broadcasting group? Of course the old 2008-2013 model won't do. :D

Archived