ABC Weatherman Bill Evans arrested

knightofni

Other than the picture in Rob's case, Bill's case seems to be worse in terms of what happened. I think there aren't as many cries for him to be let go because he is more of a likeable guy.

It's not hardly as one-sided either.

On the Monday 5pm WABC newscast David did very quick read about it before going to a break. He mentioned the charges for Bill and his wife and mentioned that they are going through divorce.

Are you sure? I'm very surprised that they would've given mention to it, especially if Bill will return. 95% of the viewers would have had no idea about it otherwise.

Anybody remember Heidi Jones? WABC fired her after she faked a story to police about being attacked in Central Park. That being said, she was only on air twice a week and had been there for just a few years. In this case, Bill is an institution, and there is uncertainty as to who is guilty (if not both he and his wife).

First of all I'm STUNNED beyond belief, that Bill is going through these traumatizing times. I just never expected he was having trouble with his family. Seemed like quite a nice person all around, always smiling and everything. I guess the old saying holds true, don't judge a book by its cover haha. But wow my goodness I hope for the best for him it would be a devastating blow for WABC because he is phenomenal in the mornings along with the morning team. I'm sure he'll be back because this is just nonsense bickering, sure he'll be remembered for this, but I don't think it warrants a resignation. I'm sure he'll be back on the air with WABC by August the latest.

With all due respect to Bill and his large following, this is not a simple spat. He is charged with assault. He allegedly struck another person with a closed fist, that person being his wife. There are injuries on both sides, blood and property damage. The lawyers on both sides are going to have to work really hard to just make that go away for a compromise if they want these charges dropped. We also have to hope no alcohol or worse was involved because in a court of law, Bill's unfortunate past with personal and legal troubles could be admissive as evidence if his wife really wants to hurt him. She appears to be real vindictive herself. My hope and guess is Bill has been clean for many years. The point of all this is, the morals clauses in media contracts are strict to protect the corporate giants and this may be a hard sell no matter how popular the talent may be. My best wishes to Mr Evans. His children as well since this is another embarrassing personal story from media people for all to see.

Perhaps I am blinded by his natty three-piece suits, but he does not come off as a thug to me. If he were a jerk, the local gossips (many of which are on this board) would have been yaking about it for a very long time.

Yes he is in the public eye, but he is not a movie star. Is this really "news." I really don't need to know this...even with people I am personally aquainted with, I know that divorces can get nasty and there is always he-said/ she-said. Also, as a renowned homo I think I am pretty fair being on the sidelines of heterosexual relationships. And I have seen all too-often situations where it is easy to label the man as being the "abusive" one when the woman is just as bad, or worse. Even damn Dr. Phil is guilty of this...such a damn double-standard. He always tells men, "you should NEVER lay your hands on a woman" no matter what the situation and then glosses over it when the woman also hits the man.

I hope ABC doesn't pussy out and fire him...smashing suits aside, he is great at what he does.

Perhaps I am blinded by his natty three-piece suits, but he does not come off as a thug to me. If he were a jerk, the local gossips (many of which are on this board) would have been yaking about it for a very long time.

Yes he is in the public eye, but he is not a movie star. Is this really "news." I really don't need to know this...even with people I am personally aquainted with, I know that divorces can get nasty and there is always he-said/ she-said. Also, as a renowned homo I think I am pretty fair being on the sidelines of heterosexual relationships. And I have seen all too-often situations where it is easy to label the man as being the "abusive" one when the woman is just as bad, or worse. Even damn Dr. Phil is guilty of this...such a damn double-standard. He always tells men, "you should NEVER lay your hands on a woman" no matter what the situation and then glosses over it when the woman also hits the man.

I hope ABC doesn't pussy out and fire him...smashing suits aside, he is great at what he does.

Not sure why everyone wants to give him a free pass because he seems like a nice guy on air. We do not know him personally. Nonetheless, this is all bad publicity for WABC, so that may very well play into their decision as well.

Not sure why you differentiate news personalities from movie stars. Only difference is the news people are "local" movie stars. At the end of the day, they are still in the public eye.

Sorry...in Columbus OH the weatherman is a big deal. Not so much in New York. As Sam Champion found out when he was still on WABC when he got all huffy at my friend when she couldn't get him the table he wanted and he said, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??!?!?!?"

As far as the "nice guy" thing...i do realize that the on-air persona can have nothing to do with the way they are off-camera (see Sam Champion...). But as I said, if he was a jerk it would have been pretty common knowledge after 24 years on the air.

Not sure why everyone wants to give him a free pass because he seems like a nice guy on air. We do not know him personally. Nonetheless, this is all bad publicity for WABC, so that may very well play into their decision as well.

Not sure why you differentiate news personalities from movie stars. Only difference is the news people are "local" movie stars. At the end of the day, they are still in the public eye.

No, it really isn't. Very few people, other than those who are tuned into insider news gossip, know about this. If there is any negative feedback, it'd be for Bill, not for WABC. The feedback WABC has been receiving has consisted mostly of "We miss Bill. When is he coming back?" Channel 7 would face more backlash if Bill was axed than if they kept Bill on and a few more people 'found out.'

I say found out in quotation marks because there isn't a whole lot to find out about. He and his wife are going through a nasty divorce (something to which many people can relate) and there was some sort of altercation in which both parties appear to be at fault. It's not like he clocked her across the face out of nowhere.

Exactly Mountainave....it's not like he came home drunk, said "bitch...where's my dinner" and backhanded her.

I hope she's happy having gone to the cops to try and use it against him in the divorce. (If she had called 911 in hysterics and terror I would not say this). She must have known that this would blow up all over the media and hurt the children. Not to mention it could affect his ability to pay support. She must have a really scuzzy attorney.

He's Back on the Air as of this morning. Glad he's back! Bill is always a class act and such an awesome meteorologist, and I'm glad he didn't let the issues surrounding his life get in the way of his professionalism. Hopefully everything gets back to normal asap. The biggest factor as everyone has said is his children who are going through tough times right now. Hopefully they are doing ok.

I also believe WABC did the right thing having Bill back on the newscasts.

The Morrison and Evans cases are very different. With Rob you had him being arrested the night of the incident based on the evidence and there is little doubt what happened.

With Bill it was his wife weeks after the incident going to police to report it and both making claims against each other.

Archived