WWOR cancels 10pm news, to replace it with NJ-centered public affairs program

Samantha

TVSpy reports that WWOR is canceling its 10pm news effective July 8, reassigning its on-air staffers to other roles and bringing to air a new 30-minute program known as Chasing New Jersey. The program will be produced for WWOR by WTXF's VP-GM's production company (Fairfax Productions) and will be based out of Trenton. The host (or "ringleader") will be Bill Spadea, former Republican nominee for Congress from New Jersey's 12th district, with reporters as "chasers". It will also air at 4am the next day on WTXF. This is the first time since 1971 where W(W)OR will not produce any actual newscasts.

Notably, Fox has trademarks to extend the franchise to Seattle, Texas, San Francisco, Charlotte and a nationwide version, Chasing America.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With how much Tribune is working with 21CF, you wonder if with Tribune's acquisition of the Local TV Fox stations, local "Chasing [city name]" will be brought to each market (i.e. Chasing Cleveland, Chasing St. Louis, Chasing Milwaukee, Chasing San Diego, Chasing Grand Rapids etc...)

FCC really needs to watch this station like a hawk now, since they've gone this route to not having a regular weeknight newscast. If they haven't, they'd need to now. I don't care if its a daily pre-taped public affairs show. What happens if this show tanks, and they have no other choice than to air comedy fare? Huh? Is this the way for Fox to ease they're way to close down most of those offices, across the Hudson. If that's the case, then FCC would love to hear that, so they can rethink their options as to whether My9 should keep or revoke the station's license.

This has huge implications on the 10pm news race and ratings. WPIX has a lot to gain, or lose, if they don't improve their product. Viewers who are used to the

expert forecasts of Nick Gregory and Audrey Puente who alternate, certainly will not tune in to the horrible Mr G who's useless forecasts and antics with female anchors has come under much scrutiny lately. My9 was fast paced. PIX is long form stories. PIX does not have sports. Fox has the same people the My9 viewers got used to. It will be interesting to see what WWOR viewers will choose.

Now what becomes of Dianne Doctor who just moved there. What exactly is she news director of, since there won't be anymore news?

They did say that they were retaining Blackmon in the capacity of news specials for WWOR. I'm no expert on NY news (this is a rare thing for me to be posting in this board), but I'd think that'd require an ND.

That's a damn shame. Honestly, Blackmon and Martin should anchor the 10pm on WNYW. They're that good.

I'm glad Puente is being retained (I like her.) I guess that Salzberg will start doing sports from the WNYW studios.

They should give the 6pm back to Harry Martin or at least give him an anchor spot.

Notably, Fox has trademarks to extend the franchise to Seattle, Texas, San Francisco, Charlotte and a nationwide version, Chasing America.

I wonder if this is going to be Megyn Kelly's new show...

It's important to note the part about it being produced by a different company. It means WWOR's news department is gone. A third party production company operating out of a different city does not count. I'm sure the public officials who were trying to keep them from moving to NY are going to love this.

Guest NewsHound

Did anyone else see this coming? I know I did...

WWOR's newscasts were just a tiny shell of their former self. WNYW has stripped the place of pretty much everything.

It's a shame because that news team was very great, and did fair far better on their shoestring-budget than WPIX on their best night since the Carey meltdown.

Harry Martin to WPIX anyone? Audrey Puente, Russ Salzberg? It could happen...

Very interesting developments. I doubt the decision to cancel the newscast was Doctor's decision, but it just seems like everywhere she goes, the place eventually implodes. Bill Carey and Dianne Doctor should be blacklisted from anymore news directoring duties. It's terrible to see how much a mess they make and even more terrible to see the station after they leave trying to hang on to life.

Harry Martin to WPIX would be an interesting choice. He does seem old though, it seems like WPIX wants younger talent.

Guest NewsHound

Very interesting developments. I doubt the decision to cancel the newscast was Doctor's decision, but it just seems like everywhere she goes, the place eventually implodes. Bill Carey and Dianne Doctor should be blacklisted from anymore news directoring duties. It's terrible to see how much a mess they make and even more terrible to see the station after they leave trying to hang on to life.

Harry Martin to WPIX would be an interesting choice. He does seem old though, it seems like WPIX wants younger talent.

Still doesn't rule out Puente, and Salzberg... they want to hire a sports reporter...

WOW!!!! A complete, total shock! TVSpy also said that the final newscast was last night. Did the folks even get a chance to say goodbye? And what will be on tonight in the newscast's place?

I thought that with Dianne Doctor being put in charge of Channel 9, the news operation would be built up, not shut down.

FOX can pretty much kiss the WWOR-TV license goodbye.

Still doesn't rule out Puente, and Salzberg... they want to hire a sports reporter...

Salzberg will be Full Time at WNYW now. Puente will continue on weekends and be the main fill-in at WNYW.

WOW!!!! A complete, total shock! TVSpy also said that the final newscast was last night. Did the folks even get a chance to say goodbye? And what will be on tonight in the newscast's place?

I thought that with Dianne Doctor being put in charge of Channel 9, the news operation would be built up, not shut down.

FOX can pretty much kiss the WWOR-TV license goodbye.

"Go to your room" hosted by Rosanna Scotto and Elvis Duran airing tonight.

Brenda should co-anchor with Ernie at 5pm. Then put Dari at 6pm (also at 10pm) with Steve. Harry should've gotten Antwon's spot on weekends and Antwon should of stayed on the early morning shift on weekdays, and Ben should've stayed in Philly!

Two things came to my head when I saw this.

1.) Dennis Bianchi has his own production company? That's... interesting. That, in my mind, makes this a WTXF show. Since it's going to be the lead-in to Good Day at 4:25....

2.) This is extremely brazen even by Murdoch standards. He's under an FCC investigation that could cost him not only WWOR, but flagship WNYW as well. Axing the news department isn't the thing you want to do when you're under that kind of scrutiny.

Still, I think I have to agree with the guy who said WWOR News died with Lautenberg. It should have died earlier. New Jersey deserves its own television outlet, I agree, but WWOR was never a New Jersey station and barely pretended to be one.

Also re: Harry Martin....

He worked at 6 back in the eighties... I kind of wonder if he'd land back in Philly. Just a thought, and I don't know if that would happen given that all of their anchor teams are pretty much solid (Drayton to mornings = sublime move)

Isn't that investigation relating to the cross-ownership relating to having a duopoly channels 5 & 9 and the NY Post? I think this investigation would end, even after the News Corporation split. This only put the fuel into the fire for Murdoch & company.

WWOR's anchors in my opinion are better than what WNYW had to offer. I hope to see Harry Martin and Sharon Crowley leveraged into decent roles at WNYW. I wish Brenda Blackmon would be sent to WNYW but she seems content with WWOR being a side job while teaching.

Archived