Chicago's "ABC7 News" Rebranding to "Eyewitness News"

IndyNewsGuy

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/10/16/abc-7-looks-forward-to-return-of-eyewitness-news/

We knew there'd be change at somepoint, but I don't think anyone saw this coming. WOW

I'm thinking "News Series 2000 Plus" is Gone.

New Graphics are coming, and Gari's "ABC Eyewitness News" New Generation will be the new theme...Probably something from the under-used, elegant and contemporary New Generation 3.

Afterall, “The execution of this is going to be very contemporary,” he said. “It is not going to be a look back to ‘Eyewitness News.’ It is going to be a look forward to what ‘Eyewitness News’ means to viewers today.”

EDIT: Oh and Bill Ratner as the V/O

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'm kinda excited to see where they go with this. Frankly, I hope they go the 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News' route. It keeps things a little more unified, unlike WABC, whose branding is spotty, at best. While it is a sensitive subject to many, and all are entitled to their opinions, I do think the music's out the door. It had a good run, for sure, but I don't see how one can become 'Eyewitness News', with the namesake theme. I think I'm willing to embrace that change knowing that a top-to-bottom image overall will come along for the ride. And hey, something else might be in the works, too, and we'll all be pleasantly surprised. One has to wonder what happens to the non-news branding. What becomes of abc7chicago.com, and on a larger scale 'ABC 7 Chicago'. I don't see why that couldn't remain.

A little unrelated, but I wonder if KGO will be following suit, seeing as KPIX just dropped the branding last year.

isn't wabc switching to abc7ny?

Pardon me while I solve a mystery with a cowardly dog, but it all is beginning to making sense...

- WABC is prepping for a change. Graphics, and possibly an online rebranding.

- WLS seems poised to get a complete overhaul. They've also been using a lot of Bill Ratner lately, whether or not that amounts to anything.

- The ABC websites, while still pretty good, are probably getting due for a refresh.

I don't know anything for a fact, but I think this a broader plan. All stations, will (save for 6ABC) go to a website structure of "abc#(city).com" New, possibly standardized graphics and music. All retain or switch to the 'Eyewitness News' name. Think about it, it not that crazy.

I will say that WLS may have the history, but also has the foundation in place to make a nearly seamless transition to a similar look as her sisters. I WILL raise some hell if WPVI gets dragged into this. Imagine "ABC6 Eyewitness News - Philadelphia's #1 News". :puke:

In the words of the dog, "ruh-roh".

Wow, I am stunned as well. You know, there are positives and negatives to this. The new graphics are needed for a long time (but they are nice, probably the reason for the eight year use). The EWN branding has been gone for a while, and has been successful with other O&O's, like WABC and KABC. Still, the ABC 7 brand, NS2000+ music (and graphics like I said) have been good for a long time, and I don't think that they should have changed it yet. We'll have to wait and see how the branding will affect the ratings. On another note, the WABC new graphics that everyone rumored didn't yet debut, and wonder if the WLS new look will be the same time when the new WABC look will debut.

I don't know anything for a fact, but I think this a broader plan. All stations, will (save for 6ABC) go to a website structure of "abc#(city).com" New, possibly standardized graphics and music. All retain or switch to the 'Eyewitness News' name. Think about it, it not that crazy.

I will say that WLS may have the history, but also has the foundation in place to make a nearly seamless transition to a similar look as her sisters. I WILL raise some hell of WPVI gets dragged into this. Imagine "ABC6 Eyewitness News - Philadelphia's #1 News". :puke:

In the words of the dog, "ruh-roh".

I am praying WPVI doesn't change anything, especially MCTYW

For some reason, I think that this is the first step in many more changes to come at WLS. Idler wants to freshen up ABC 7, the product is getting a bit stale. The next changes will be with personnel, yes Sylvia was let go earlier this summer but if things don't pick up, more expensive talent will be shown the door. The morning show has been lagging in viewers, if i'm not mistaken? If that's the case, I can see it being the first place where changes are made.

For some reason, I think that this is the first step in many more changes to come at WLS. Idler wants to freshen up ABC 7, the product is getting a bit stale. The next changes will be with personnel, yes Sylvia was let go earlier this summer but if things don't pick up, more expensive talent will be shown the door. The morning show has been lagging in viewers, if i'm not mistaken? If that's the case, I can see it being the first place where changes are made.

Really, the morning show is the only place they're in trouble. The 4pm numbers have faded some, but a better lead-in (Jeopardy!) would fix that. Yes, the 11am hour has suffered, but let's be honest, that's not unexpected and I don't think management is surprised, either. But the meat 'n potatoes six and (especially) ten are still dominant...like channels-2-and-5-have-sore-butts-dominant.

Oh, and I hope there's some circle-7 pins in the works!

...anyone thinking WPVI will change its name or branding is, well, high. Theme's not going anywhere, Station name's not going anywhere, Gardner ain't going anywhere.

And let's not forget that an ABC 6 Eyewitness News is impossible because of the local CBS stations that happen to use the name. Oh, and that CBS 3 kind of invented the EWN format and regularly tout their status as such.

Not to mention that 6ABC just happens to have the strongest local news branding in the country. WPHL wanted to air 6 because of their music, open, and name.

Basically they would be complete idiots on the level of John Wallace to pull that. And since so many of the execs grew up in the CapCities culture, I'm sure they're not idiots.

(Former ESPN boss Steve Bornstein praised CapCities as the greatest media company ever. He ain't lying. )

...anyone thinking WPVI will change its name or branding is, well, high. Theme's not going anywhere, Station name's not going anywhere, Gardner ain't going anywhere.

And let's not forget that an ABC 6 Eyewitness News is impossible because of the local CBS stations that happen to use the name. Oh, and that CBS 3 kind of invented the EWN format and regularly tout their status as such.

Not to mention that 6ABC just happens to have the strongest local news branding in the country. WPHL wanted to air 6 because of their music, open, and name.

Basically they would be complete idiots on the level of John Wallace to pull that. And since so many of the execs grew up in the CapCities culture, I'm sure they're not idiots.

(Former ESPN boss Steve Bornstein praised CapCities as the greatest media company ever. He ain't lying. )

While I agree that they shouldn't change 6abc in any major ways, small things like a new website and standardization online isn't going to kill them.

Oh, and I hope there's some circle-7 pins in the works!

That should be standard across all ABC O&Os... :agree:

Never understood why they dropped Eyewitness News back in 1996....So it will be ABC 7 Eyewitness News, but isn't that KABC name as well too? However I'm happy to hear that Eyewitness News is returning, because IMO every market should have an Action News, Eyewitness News, News Channel...

Happy Days are here again-

To be clear, I know (most of) that...was just trying to make a point. I'm only suggesting that if a station with such history like WLS can be changed so extensively, you can't tell me some stuff could be pushed on (and promptly rejected by) WPVI. Of course going from 6ABC to ABC6 would be unnecessary and stupid on the highest level, and EWN is already taken, but there's nothing in the rule book saying that new graphics couldn't be pushed.

I think it's great to see WLS returning to their EWN roots, though I really hope they don't drop News Series 2000 Plus. It's the MCTYW or Chroma Cues of Chicago. If WPVI or WJZ dropped their iconic music you know their ratings would immediately drop. I'd hate to see that happen to WLS...

If WPVI or WJZ dropped their iconic music you know their ratings would immediately drop.

I hate to break it to most people here but music is not the reason people watch a certain newscast. I would not, nor will most people change the channel if a channel changes the music. This is a long believed myth on this site because we analyze even the smallest changes.

I hate to break it to most people here but music is not the reason people watch a certain newscast. I would not, nor will most people change the channel if a channel changes the music. This is a long believed myth on this site because we analyze even the smallest changes.

Yes and no.

True, but didn't lots of people complain when WPVI tried to use an orchestral version of MCTYW instead of the traditional version in the 1990s?

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/10/16/abc-7-looks-forward-to-return-of-eyewitness-news/

We knew there'd be change at somepoint, but I don't think anyone saw this coming. WOW

I'm thinking "News Series 2000 Plus" is Gone.

New Graphics are coming, and Gari's "ABC Eyewitness News" New Generation will be the new theme...Probably something from the under-used, elegant and contemporary New Generation 3.

Afterall, “The execution of this is going to be very contemporary,” he said. “It is not going to be a look back to ‘Eyewitness News.’ It is going to be a look forward to what ‘Eyewitness News’ means to viewers today.”

EDIT: Oh and Bill Ratner as the V/O

Is it April Fools Day already?

Archived