The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Whoever's doing the directing on the 11pm news is doing a great job. They're utilizing the video board behind Jim, they have nice camera swoops, and they even just zoomed in on a gas prices graphic on the Big Board without anyone actually at the Big Board.

Sarah Bloomquist was listed in the Sunday 11 pm opening tonight...

Has been the case since they switched to the fall opens. I believe this is the first time the 6 and 11 Action News broadcasts have had a two-person team.

• 2 weeks later...

They've been really into the "digital updates" on the 6ABC app lately. Even for mundane things like "Christmas week forecast." They must get a lot of traffic.

Not that I put much faith in this, but someone posted a comment on a picture Matt O'Donnell posted today saying David Murphy is retiring on January 2nd??? I find that hard to believe??

I saw that comment too and sent it over to David on Twitter. I'll see if he responds back.

They've been really into the "digital updates" on the 6ABC app lately. Even for mundane things like "Christmas week forecast." They must get a lot of traffic.

Not that I put much faith in this, but someone posted a comment on a picture Matt O'Donnell posted today saying David Murphy is retiring on January 2nd??? I find that hard to believe??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed an increase in "mosquito noise" digital distortion around the L3s? I have noticed it the past month or so. It's also pretty bad around the 6ABC logo/clock in the corner.

I have Directv, and posted in a forum about that, and someone said it has to do with the way the network encodes/compresses its broadcasts.

Interestingly, I put on Action News at 10 on PHL17 last night, and the effect seems to be much less there than on 6. Which doesn't really make much sense since it's the same newscast and I would assume the same equipment being used!

Has anyone noticed an increase in "mosquito noise" digital distortion around the L3s? I have noticed it the past month or so. It's also pretty bad around the 6ABC logo/clock in the corner.

I have Directv, and posted in a forum about that, and someone said it has to do with the way the network encodes/compresses its broadcasts.

Interestingly, I put on Action News at 10 on PHL17 last night, and the effect seems to be much less there than on 6. Which doesn't really make much sense since it's the same newscast and I would assume the same equipment being used!

It's going through PHL's master control though so it very well be different equipment being used. What happens is instead of running that feed to their own master control, what 6 is doing is sending that feed either via fiber or microwave to 17's MC who then broadcasts the newscast.

It's going through PHL's master control though so it very well be different equipment being used. What happens is instead of running that feed to their own master control, what 6 is doing is sending that feed either via fiber or microwave to 17's MC who then broadcasts the newscast.

PHL must have a different/better encoder, though, because I don't notice the distortion as much on 17.

Is this actually happening, or is it just me being picky/crazy??

Well, I remember how, until the mid 2000s, WPIX always had a funny picture quality on Comcast in NJ; even when we moved to Warren County, the picture looked funny until around the time they became The CW11. I'm guessing it was something in their link to Comcast. Maybe that's what's happening, only on DTV.

• 4 weeks later...

Channel 6 just started showing "#6abcAction" scrollling in the bottom, red/yellow part of the L3's, on the same line as the clock, during live reports.

I've been waiting for them to update the graphics, but this is just so gimmicky!

To be fair, the graphics were very nice fresh out of the box, but the new elements and additions over the years have made most of it very clunky and overbearing.

Fair enough. I'd like to see WPVI go for a mix of WABC and WLS graphics. I think that would look good.

One thing, especially among the ABC stations, since they maintain a mostly individual look, I do appreciate is WPVI's color scheme. They've been using the blue, red, and yellow/gold motif for several packages, and I hope they'd keep that. Same thing with WABC and their use of red. Heck, I was initially hesitant when WLS dumped all purple and most gold accents upon their rebrand a year and a half ago.

• 3 weeks later...