The Channel 6 Action News Thread

Jess

Sharrie Williams is who I'm betting on, although I could see Sarah take on the 4pm (although that would take her off Sundays) and Monica taking on the 10pm.

Dark horse candidates: Alicia Viterrelli, Eva Pilgrim, Tamela Edwards, or a reporter.

I think that Nydia Han would be a great addition to the 4:00 team

Such a sad occasion, but with a happy outcome.

Shirleen Allicott is leaving WPVI for a job at the station's sister station WABC.

Congrats to on the new get at Eyewitness News, and I'll miss her anchoring tenure on Action News.

https://twitter.com/iPhillyChitChat/status/599290463565254656/photo/1

Sad to see her go but hope it goes well anyway! Shirleen had the potential to be a good anchor here in Philly.

As for her replacement, first name is definitely Sharrie Williams. Keep in mind though that 6 has a 4, 5, and 10 PM newscasts where I imagine Sharrie fills in regularly whenever the anchors for those newscasts (Rick, Monica, Brian, and Shirleen) are either out, on assignment, or subbing for Jim.

I wonder if Sharrie Williams will take over the 4 pm slot with Brian Taff? She still really doesn't seem to have a definite purpose.

I don't watch the 4pm very often or the 10pm on PHL17, so I don't have much of an opinion, aside from the time I saw her in a breaking news situation and she wasn't the best ... but that is hard to do on the fly and a skill that comes with time.

Short term I would say yes. It's probably hers to lose long term too.

Oh, and yeah I remember that breaking news. It was really painful to watch, and they even had to get Jim Gardner to come on (I think Taff was on vacation) and co-anchor the live coverage. Probably one of the few times Jim has co-anchored any telecast.

Sad to see her go but hope it goes well anyway! Shirleen had the potential to be a good anchor here in Philly.

As for her replacement, first name is definitely Sharrie Williams. Keep in mind though that 6 has a 4, 5, and 10 PM newscasts where I imagine Sharrie fills in regularly whenever the anchors for those newscasts (Rick, Monica, Brian, and Shirleen) are either out, on assignment, or subbing for Jim.

She doesn't always fill in for them, though. It's really bizarre. I think I can recall times when she still just did reports and it was, like, Monica & Brian or Rick & Shirleen. Maybe something to do with Brian's & Shirleen's contracts?

I wish Sarah Bloomquist would fill in more often on the 5 pm, but she is really a great reporter as well, and I think they would really miss her reports. She's one of the few reporters I can recall that makes such an easy transition between anchoring & reporting. Matt O'Donnell obviously also was an exception! David Henry used to be a substitute anchor but I haven't seen him in a chair in probably at least a decade.

I'm curious how often do they use the Chopper 6 360 on air? I still think of it as gimmicky but do think it would have provided a different perspective with the amtrak derailment. Although it's not as powerful as a standard camera I think it would provide an interesting view with all of the cameras stitched together on screen.

I'm curious how often do they use the Chopper 6 360 on air? I still think of it as gimmicky but do think it would have provided a different perspective with the amtrak derailment. Although it's not as powerful as a standard camera I think it would provide an interesting view with all of the cameras stitched together on screen.

I haven't seen them use it at all since they made such a fuss about it.

Thats because it was not a ch6 idea, It came from the higher up who operate the ABC O&O's and made all the ABC O&O's use and promote it, because the company behind the technology (IM360) paid ABC local to do so. So ch6 did what was required of them and then quickly ditched any mention of the product. Same company also paid for Conan360 on his show.

Cecily Tynan posted the following picture to her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/6abcCecilyTynan/photos/pcb.10155651291410094/10155651274840094/?type=1&theater

Gets that's the closest we'll get to seeing ratings.

If you don't feel like clicking, A25-54 share for 11pm news in Philly: 6 - 49%, 10 - 28%, 3 - 23%

Interesting. Her kids must have gotten old enough that she has finally decided to "come back" more fully.

Sharrie was in for Monica at 5.

Sharrie was on at 4pm too. I think the previous poster was expressing his wishes for Erin to get the 4.

Cecily Tynan posted the following picture to her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/6abcCecilyTynan/photos/pcb.10155651291410094/10155651274840094/?type=1&theater

Gets that's the closest we'll get to seeing ratings.

If you don't feel like clicking, A25-54 share for 11pm news in Philly: 6 - 49%, 10 - 28%, 3 - 23%

No suprise 6 is beating both 10 & 3 badly, but i'm kinda suprise how close CBS 3 is to NBC10. 3's product has been so bad these last few yrs I thought they were a distant last place.

EDIT: nm, just looked at the 6:00 PM numbers. Clearly CBS 3's close ratings to NBC 10 at 11 is due to strong network leadin (CBS #1 network), while NBC10 probably gets weak leanins on most nights (NBC #4 network)

No suprise 6 is beating both 10 & 3 badly, but i'm kinda suprise how close CBS 3 is to NBC10. 3's product has been so bad these last few yrs I thought they were a distant last place.

EDIT: nm, just looked at the 6:00 PM numbers. Clearly CBS 3's close ratings to NBC 10 at 11 is due to strong network leadin (CBS #1 network), while NBC10 probably gets weak leanins on most nights (NBC #4 network)

NBC finished first this season ratings wise but came in second viewers.

Kenneth Moton announced that he is leaving 6abc for ABC News.

I think its safe to say if you're a good Anchor/Reporter in Philly, your next stop will be NY, or DC.

Philly seems to be a layover for many.

Long gone are the days of reporters sticking around for 10-20 yrs in Philadelphia.

Congrats to Kenneth Moton.