AccuWeather Channel Announced

BehindNYNews

Similar to TWC. 24/7 weather channel to debut in Q3 2014. http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweather-announces-the-laun/22055195

AccuWeather had not planned to make the announcement at this time, but decided to accelerate the announcement in light of the controversy that has developed between DIRECTV and The Weather Channel and in order to make the public aware of an additional offering that will be available to them later this year.

The new AccuWeather Channel will be streamed on AccuWeather.com and other internet sites, as well as through media partner affiliate mobile and internet sites and is expected to be available through cable and satellite carriers.

will it be live or taped like the original accu-weather channel that was on digital TV channels like WILX 10.2 in lansing mich.

I'm sure it will be live to compete with TWC. Too bad Sam Champion didn't wait, maybe he would have liked to start up a new weather network.

Similar to The Weather Channel... except that AccuWeather doesn't give winter storms goofy names. Nor would I think that the AccuWeather Channel would forgo live coverage of weather in order to run crappy "reality" shows.

I'm on DirecTV's side. TWC has been irreparably damaged by the suits at NBC.

This has been a crappy couple of days for TWC. First, getting cut from DirecTV because of their reality shows and now their arch rivals are launching a national network.

Sucks to be them this week!

Two weather networks on the air, two more announced. It's going to get ridiculous.

So according to twitter reports (I don't have DirecTV) TWC has now been taken off the air, very promptly at Midnight. It seems they even moved WeatherNation into TWC's slot. Damn!

I do have DirecTV and I can confirm that they did just that and as I type I can confirm they are wiping out TWC from their active channel and WeatherNation is now on in TWC's spot.

It's going to be a while before TWC will be back folks!

AccuWeather had not planned to make the announcement at this time, but decided to accelerate the announcement in light of the controversy that has developed between DIRECTV and The Weather Channel and in order to make the public aware of an additional offering that will be available to them later this year.

Talk about kicking someone while they're down...

How is this "new" Accuweather Channel going to be any different from the one I already watch on KSDK 5.2? Seems redundant.

I do have DirecTV and I can confirm that they did just that and as I type I can confirm they are wiping out TWC from their active channel and WeatherNation is now on in TWC's spot.

It's going to be a while before TWC will be back folks!

I think TWC is going to cave. TWC needs Directv more than Directv needs TWC and I think NBCU/Comcast is finally realizing that.

Talk about kicking someone while they're down...

How is this "new" Accuweather Channel going to be any different from the one I already watch on KSDK 5.2? Seems redundant.

Maybe they're realizing they need to go cable/streaming over since they've been losing over-the-air affiliates left and right (mainly from the Gannett group) to WeatherNation. I've got a question for Gannett: what happens if WeatherNation continues to be carried by DirecTV after they make-up with TWC, which is bound to happen?

If I'm WeatherNation or AccuWeather, I'd grab Roker and/or Cantore and let them travel around the world with shows which discuss how weather affects people's every day lives similar to what CNN does with Bourdain. I would even put Roker and/or Cantore in different cities w/ different types of extreme weather. It may sound like a stunt but it's the only way you gain any traction in ratings. If these new networks are going to be successful, they also need a big affiliate force behind it to support them because local weather is what matters the most.

If there were local weathercasts interspersed w/ national segments from stars like Roker or Cantore, it might interest me to watch, especially if those update also included traffic. The only way WN or Accuweather gain traction is if they can get some stars to come to their station, if they get more local infrastructure and if they broadcast extreme weather events happening worldwide and it's effects LIVE.

People love the unexpected especially when it's live.

Maybe they're realizing they need to go cable/streaming over since they've been losing over-the-air affiliates left and right (mainly from the Gannett group) to WeatherNation. I've got a question for Gannett: what happens if WeatherNation continues to be carried by DirecTV after they make-up with TWC, which is bound to happen?

Two things. Either Gannett will start their own weather digital sub (I think it's about time) or we buy Weather Nation (which I'm cool with too). WeatherNation has their HQ in Greenwood Village (Are they owned by Dish?) and broadcasts out of Minneapolis - St. Paul. We have stations in both markets.

If Gannett purchases WN, I think it's time that KUSA gets a new building, possibly in Commerce City or Lakewood. Why? To keep G3 around, which I would like, and house WeatherNation master control in addition to newsroom facilities.

Two things. Either Gannett will start their own weather digital sub (I think it's about time) or we buy Weather Nation (which I'm cool with too). WeatherNation has their HQ in Greenwood Village (Are they owned by Dish?) and broadcasts out of Minneapolis - St. Paul. We have stations in both markets.

If Gannett purchases WN, I think it's time that KUSA gets a new building, possibly in Commerce City or Lakewood. Why? To keep G3 around, which I would like, and house WeatherNation master control in addition to newsroom facilities.

I brought this up over in the WeatherNation thread. But, To elaborate further the the "current version", WeatherNation TV, was established by Proformance One Media of Greenwood Village, CO & Media Logic Group, LLC of Excelsior, MN. Performance One handles distribution and administration hense the CO headquarters. Media Logic Group (via Broadcast Weather, LLC) handles production and provides content.

If you care for more details read on. Otherwise, feel free to skip over. Anyway, Media Logic Group is the holding company for WeatherNation founder, Paul Douglas' (& business partner, Todd Frostad) businesses. When the current iteration, WeatherNation TV, Inc., was established Media Logic Group transferred the trademarks from the "old" WeatherNation, LLC to the new entity, WeatherNation TV, Inc., for an equity stake in the new venture. The "old" WeatherNation, LLC was then renamed Broadcast Weather, LLC and provides the content to the new entity via service agreement. Dish, doesn't own any part of WeatherNation TV, Inc. However, a Echostar subsidiary did acquire some convertible promissory notes in WeatherNation TV, Inc. a couple of years ago. Not sure if these have been converted to equity stake. But, Kenneth Carroll, an EVP at Echostar was made a Director at WeatherNation TV, Inc around the same time.

Anyway, if AccuWeather is serious about this I'd cash out while I can if I was a WeatherNation big wig. AccuWeather has the brand and resources to easily become a #2 behind TWC.

Comcast saw DirecTV drop G4 completely back in 2010, citing a decline in viewership and a lack of general interest.

And look where G4 is now.

It's deja vu all over again with The Weather Channel... as they fell prey to the same channel drift that did in G4. And yes, I call airing reality shows (and even movies for a spell in 2010, that only got axed when DirecTV threatened to drop TWC outright) channel drift for TWC.

Comcast saw DirecTV drop G4 completely back in 2010, citing a decline in viewership and a lack of general interest.

And look where G4 is now.

It's deja vu all over again with The Weather Channel... as they fell prey to the same channel drift that did in G4. And yes, I call airing reality shows (and even movies for a spell in 2010, that only got axed when DirecTV threatened to drop TWC outright) channel drift for TWC.

If this is the case, why doesn't DirecTV drop History or MTV as well? These two networks have drifted so far off their original programming intentions that they need a wake-up call. But wait, History and MTV GAINED popularity by moving away from their original formats.

As far as comparing this dispute with DirecTV dropping G4, at least TWC has some brand loyalty, even though it's been diminishing over the past couple years. TWC will be back.

If this is the case, why doesn't DirecTV drop History or MTV as well? These two networks have drifted so far off their original programming intentions that they need a wake-up call. But wait, History and MTV GAINED popularity by moving away from their original formats.

As far as comparing this dispute with DirecTV dropping G4, at least TWC has some brand loyalty, even though it's been diminishing over the past couple years. TWC will be back.

History and MTV never claimed to be any kind of "lifesaver". Those two networks never had any obligation to inform (not even History), only to entertain. TWC once decided to take on that first duty. New management then drifted toward the second concept, and only returned to the original vision of the network when their bank account was threatened.

• 10 months later...

Searching around online, none of their recent job postings seem to make any sort of mention of a 24/7 network appearing anytime soon.

My guess is the project was canned. It would explain the Renderon graphics "proposal" (or whatever it was called) appearing before the channel launched. It's unusual for a company to release proposals like that, more unusual to release it before the channel actually launches.

I keep getting tweets from @AccuWeather saying that they are making great progress on the channel but with no launch date announced. I guess they announced the channel to scare DirecTV during the DTV-TWC dispute when in reality, it was to launch in 2015 or in 2016.

I keep getting tweets from @AccuWeather saying that they are making great progress on the channel but with no launch date announced. I guess they announced the channel to scare DirecTV during the DTV-TWC dispute when in reality, it was to launch in 2015 or in 2016.

Why would it scare DirecTV? I think TWC would've been the one scared.

Archived