Al Roker Leaving Today Show?

jmkcool2002

That's what the New York Post is reporting. I wouldn't be surprised what happened either way. Roker is essential to the show's ratings but is also getting up there in years spent on the show. It may be time for the show to switch to a younger cast.

Here are some thoughts on where he might go next: http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2014/01/al-roker-leaving-today-show.html

Anyone else have any other ideas?

That's what the New York Post is reporting. I wouldn't be surprised what happened either way. Roker is essential to the show's ratings but is also getting up there in years spent on the show. It may be time for the show to switch to a younger cast.

Here are some thoughts on where he might go next: http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2014/01/al-roker-leaving-today-show.html

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Cast? They aren't a cast! This is NOT a scripted program. The least (or most?) we can all them is journalists.

Matt Lauer is the one that really needs to leave...he should have been fired a long time ago.

Yeah and haven't there been rumors circling for ages now that he was going to leave at the end of his contract this year? I certainly hope so, but when I heard that Turness was more than willing to keep him around for as long as he wanted to stay and because she also sorta wants him too, I began to worry.

If so many people have stopped watching your show because they blame one of the co-hosts for the ousting of another, why would you want to keep him on when all he does is stir trouble? It isn't the good kind of trouble either where people will tune in and watch to see what he does next, it's the type of trouble where viewers threaten to leave and actually do.

Matt should be a little more considerate of his employer and the loyal viewers and leave the show. Savannah should go as well because she's completely out of place on the show. Whoever put this team together has ZERO vision. Matt and Meredtih worked, Katie and Matt worked. In my opinion the addition of Savannah to the show is just as out of place as people claimed Ann's appointing was.

Matt should be a little more considerate of his employer and the loyal viewers and leave the show. Savannah should go as well because she's completely out of place on the show. Whoever put this team together has ZERO vision. Matt and Meredtih worked, Katie and Matt worked. In my opinion the addition of Savannah to the show is just as out of place as people claimed Ann's appointing was.

I agree with Matt leaving; disagree on Savannah leaving.

As much as I (and many people on this site) want him to leave, Matt is not going anywhere. The people at NBC believed that they would be hurting the program if he left so they are gonna keep him.

If Al does leave, I would think AccuWeather would want to pick him up in a heart beat. I think it would be very weird for Sam to do weather on Today, for him and viewers. I don't think Sam would want to do Today anyway, he left GMA for TWC, not Today.

Yeah and haven't there been rumors circling for ages now that he was going to leave at the end of his contract this year? I certainly hope so, but when I heard that Turness was more than willing to keep him around for as long as he wanted to stay and because she also sorta wants him too, I began to worry.

If so many people have stopped watching your show because they blame one of the co-hosts for the ousting of another, why would you want to keep him on when all he does is stir trouble? It isn't the good kind of trouble either where people will tune in and watch to see what he does next, it's the type of trouble where viewers threaten to leave and actually do.

I think Matt's contract is up in 2016. Either way, like him or hate him there is no one on their current roster of anchors than can come in, replace him and bring Today back to #1. Willie Geist could be Matt's successor but he lacks the name recognition. I also think that many viewers haven't really warmed up to Savannah and view her as the one who replaced/displaced Ann Curry. Had Meredith Vieria come back and done a one year stint after the whole Curry debacle then the show wouldn't have had the problems it is/was having.

If Al does leave, I would think AccuWeather would want to pick him up in a heart beat. I think it would be very weird for Sam to do weather on Today, for him and viewers. I don't think Sam would want to do Today anyway, he left GMA for TWC, not Today.

I don't think it be weird for Sam to do Today. He's been gone from ABC for how long, and he already appeared on Today! That sounds like a trader to me. He seems to have that diva attitude and craves attention.

By the way, do we have a link for this NY Post article about Al leaving Today or is this just speculation.

I don't think it be weird for Sam to do Today. He's been gone from ABC for how long, and he already appeared on Today! That sounds like a trader to me. He seems to have that diva attitude and craves attention.

By the way, do we have a link for this NY Post article about Al leaving Today or is this just speculation.

While I did like Sam on GMA and WABC he has always had a diva like attitude about him.

ABC News on a whole is the fluff news king. People love it and they sell it hard. However, they also have personalities that everybody enjoys. Frankly, Al Roker is probably the only reason many people still watch Today. If he leaves, so do the rest of their viewers.

GMA is also unwatchable.

Unwatchable to you though, not the majority of people that watch the morning news on the major networks. Just trying to make the point that the fluff doesn't seem to be the problem for Today because it works for GMA. So maybe it is the personalities.

When has morning televison ever been anything but fluff? Please stop with that already my God. Monring news is geared towards lifestyle and enterainment. GMA and Today both have a very news heavy 30 minutes to begin their shows and the rest of the program is lifestyle and entertainment. That's what people seem to enjoy, isn't the 7:30 half hour GMA's highest rated?

Many of you seem to forget that a show like GMA wasn't even produced by the news division until the mid-90's. Hell, Today didn't treat women as human beings until the late 60's, and had a frickin' monkey for most of its first decade on the air. No one had a problem with all of this back then. And what is a better option? Yes, CBS is putting out a quality alternative to the traditional morning show, and I commend them for it, but are any of you going to try tell me that Fox or MSNBC are doing anything better?

Please.

Sorry but I don't watch any of the national shows in the morning. It's garbage, too much fluff and personality based. Hell, that's the basis of this whole thread. We're discussing a rumor Al Roker could be leaving. That right there says all these network personalities have a large ego. I prefer the local news for a reason...

Most of you are also forgetting women are the target audience of the shows. I'm not trying to sound sexist but it's true. Women love these shows. And I'm not saying men don't watch these shows. But ABC NBC are trying to capture the female demo, if they get male viewers great, but that's not who they're trying to target.

Unwatchable to you though, not the majority of people that watch the morning news on the major networks. Just trying to make the point that the fluff doesn't seem to be the problem for Today because it works for GMA. So maybe it is the personalities.

The majority of the people who watch network morning news are women...

Yes that was way off topic but I need to respond to a couple users here...

Sorry but I don't watch any of the national shows in the morning. It's garbage, too much fluff and personality based. Hell, that's the basis of this whole thread. We're discussing a rumor Al Roker could be leaving. That right there says all these network personalities have a large ego. I prefer the local news for a reason...

Most of you are also forgetting women are the target audience of the shows. I'm not trying to sound sexist but it's true. Women love these shows. And I'm not saying men don't watch these shows. But ABC NBC are trying to capture the female demo, if they get male viewers great, but that's not who they're trying to target.

The majority of the people who watch network morning news are women...

Yes that was way off topic but I need to respond to a couple users here...

You were implying that Today's in second place because of its content. I was responding to that. Irrelevant to the argument whether it's men or women watching. It's eyeballs, end of story. I don't disagree about the fluff, I don't care for it either.

I think Matt's contract is up in 2016. Either way, like him or hate him there is no one on their current roster of anchors than can come in, replace him and bring Today back to #1. Willie Geist could be Matt's successor but he lacks the name recognition. I also think that many viewers haven't really warmed up to Savannah and view her as the one who replaced/displaced Ann Curry. Had Meredith Vieria come back and done a one year stint after the whole Curry debacle then the show wouldn't have had the problems it is/was having.

Name recognition doesn't mean as much as chemistry. If Savannah and Willie Geist (who are already good friends) end up having good chemistry then the name recognition will come. Who knew Matt Lauer before he was Matt Lauer? Bringing someone from showbiz with name recognition like a Ryan Seacrest or Rob Lowe is great short-term but it won't work long-term. It'll be interesting to see if NBC puts Hoda in to replace Matt and tries an all-female panel (Roker's protege is probably some blondie from TWC)

When has morning televison ever been anything but fluff? Please stop with that already my God. Monring news is geared towards lifestyle and enterainment. GMA and Today both have a very news heavy 30 minutes to begin their shows and the rest of the program is lifestyle and entertainment. That's what people seem to enjoy, isn't the 7:30 half hour GMA's highest rated?

Except when they'll spend, especially GMA, a good portion of those first thirty minutes talking about Lindsay Lohan being in rehab again or Amanda Bynes being arrested or the freaking Golden Globes.

Name recognition doesn't mean as much as chemistry. If Savannah and Willie Geist (who are already good friends) end up having good chemistry then the name recognition will come. Who knew Matt Lauer before he was Matt Lauer? Bringing someone from showbiz with name recognition like a Ryan Seacrest or Rob Lowe is great short-term but it won't work long-term. It'll be interesting to see if NBC puts Hoda in to replace Matt and tries an all-female panel (Roker's protege is probably some blondie from TWC)

Plus, every time that Willie has subbed for Matt, the general reaction and feedback is positive. Willie is easy on the eyes and has a soft voice, which a lot of people like.

Plus, every time that Willie has subbed for Matt, the general reaction and feedback is positive. Willie is easy on the eyes and has a soft voice, which a lot of people like.

People like Willie. Carson was in today, people do not like him nearly as much as Willie (always more negative reaction on social media). The ratings for the 4th hour are the highest they've ever been, so Hoda is not going anywhere. If Al does leave, they've been using Dylan Dreyer (today, for example) a lot. Could easily see her taking his place.

Archived