Possible New Sinclair Look & Music?

promoguy98

After recently hearing news on this site from various posters that Sinclair was gearing up to introduce new hard and soft look packages for their stations. The following may be a glimpse into one of the looks and potentially a music package to come. The music drum programming reminds me a little of Stephen Arnold and Third Coast. Just in case any video gets pulled or made private on Youtube, I have them saved and will upload into my dropbox or share privately if that happens.

Over the past week, the WSYX6-Fox28 Youtube channel has posted new animations with both the traditional Sinclair look and a newer look.

Here is the channel listing of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/abc6fox28promotions/videos

Example of WSYX News at 5pm open with current graphics look:

Example of WSYX News at 5pm open with a new look:

Example of WYFF Baltimore with a demo of a new look and music:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After recently hearing news on this site from various posters that Sinclair was gearing up to introduce new hard and soft look packages for their stations. The following may be a glimpse into one of the looks and potentially a music package to come. The music drum programming reminds me a little of Stephen Arnold and Third Coast. Just in case any video gets pulled or made private on Youtube, I have them saved and will upload into my dropbox or share privately if that happens.

Over the past week, the WSYX6-Fox28 Youtube channel has posted new animations with both the traditional Sinclair look and a newer look.

1. WSYX 6 is still using the old ABC logo.

2. It's a nice, all-be-it blue and white, change. I can't place the music. It's a 4 note signature, but I can't place the instrumentation. I want to say Gari, but I don't think that's right.

I like the color scheme. Don't like the fonts and music.

And speaking of the music...I don't hear any Arnold hallmarks in there. Indeed, I'm not hearing any recognizable hallmarks, period.

Didn't someone make a mention a few months back about an inthegroovemusic package made for the Sinclair stations? I don't know if that was the same music used in the WBFF clip.

I actually like it. On our 6 as "Breaking News pointed out, Our 6 has always been Fat and if it wasn't... there would be problems. A tiny part of me misses the little line out of the old 6 logo where the 6 connects. But with what I've saw so far... I like it.

For Sinclair this is a UPGRADE and much needed one. Their current package has been around since 2007 and it shows!

I would bet large sums of money that the music is done by GrooveWorx. Some of the instrumentation sounds similar to some of their production music and the new Univision package.

Yeah, now I'm hearing it again and it does remind me of the new Univision stuff.

I don't mind the music.

The graphics are not an improvement. But of course it looks like WBFF will get the better as always, Sinclair's "favorites" (KABB, WZTV, WGME, WSYX) will get a version on par with WBFF's, and then everyone else will get a crappy version. In fact, KABB was the first station that got the current refresh of the Sinclair graphics in 2011 as well as the first that got a new-gen Devlin set (he basically models all his sets off KABB now, before then they were kind of sucky).

What Sinclair needs to (but won't) take away from this: Either OUTSOURCE your graphics instead of doing them in Hunt Valley, or if you must do them in-house, find better graphics designers. In fact, these feel almost the same. I hope they are testing them still and this is not the final product.

And what about your markets where you have two separate news operations like Mobile (no SA doesn't count because it's basically one news operation now using two buildings)? Have plans for a second music package and graphics set?

Also we don't get to see the supers, so we don't know if the silver and black supers will live on...

Yeah there's still some unanswered questions.

I believe WBFF current opening almost the same as the one in the video an L bar with the same video playing the only negligible difference is the coloring the L bar and the logo is floating on the water of the inner harbor. Their current ticker is different than the ones featured in the YouTube channel and is brushed metal.

I actually like it. On our 6 as "Breaking News pointed out, Our 6 has always been Fat and if it wasn't... there would be problems. A tiny part of me misses the little line out of the old 6 logo where the 6 connects. But with what I've saw so far... I like it.

For Sinclair this is a UPGRADE and much needed one. Their current package has been around since 2007 and it shows!

After a series of SIX logos over the yrs of WTVN/WSYX it time for an upgrade in the logo department.

I grew up watching this station and the one with the opened line has always been the mainstay one but over the last 30 yrs it been an over bloated "6" the current logo looks very small market, and they could go for a more polished look. I like KOTV "6" logo.

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WSYX

Looks good so far, but what about the chyrons?

Also this might be a small point, but I really, really hate Arial. Why do people keep using this when Univers or Helvetica or one of the newer variants looks so much better? (Helvetica doesn't look as "artsy" as it did in the 1970's when they used to set the type by hand, but it's still a good looking font.)

I do have a beef with the music, however. Sinclair/WSYX has always had great, upbeat music packages. This one is really, really lame sounding. I like the current package better.

1. WSYX 6 is still using the old ABC logo.

That's a good point but why stop there? They are going on 30 years with essentially the same logo. It's time for something a lot better looking. Even the orignal Bauhaus version from Taft Broadcasting looked a lot better than the current "6".

I'm not a Sinclair hater, but since that is (or at least was) one of their most important stations, a new logo is looooooooooooooong overdue.

I don't know where they are in the pecking order these days with all the new stations they've bought, but since they seem to keep pumping money into the station, that tells me WSYX is still pretty high up on the totem pole.

Agree with Mr. Flintstone and a few others about the font choices. For sans-serif fonts, thicker is usually better. IMO, the only time thin fonts seem to work are elements that use a classy serif font. NBC Artworks typically does a great job with the use of serif fonts. I'm not sure why Sinclair would put such a puny, thin, uninspiring font in the opening piece and for the lower third chyrons. Seriously go with a classy thin serif font, or go with a thicker sans-serif font. Helvetica / Helvetica Neue rocks anyday over Arial. As much as they need to update and create a couple of new looks, there is no need to do a half-ass rush job when it comes to the video elements, the fonts or the music.

Make the animations a little more fluid, think about the fonts and the music and the update could really be a nice look variation. I heard there was going to be a hard and soft look and hope the WBFF demo video is the soft version of the look - otherwise yikes!

Agree with Mr. Flintstone and a few others about the font choices. For sans-serif fonts, thicker is usually better. IMO, the only time thin fonts seem to work are elements that use a classy serif font. NBC Artworks typically does a great job with the use of serif fonts. I'm not sure why Sinclair would put such a puny, thin, uninspiring font in the opening piece and for the lower third chyrons. Seriously go with a classy thin serif font, or go with a thicker sans-serif font. Helvetica / Helvetica Neue rocks anyday over Arial. As much as they need to update and create a couple of new looks, there is no need to do a half-ass rush job when it comes to the video elements, the fonts or the music.

Make the animations a little more fluid, think about the fonts and the music and the update could really be a nice look variation. I heard there was going to be a hard and soft look and hope the WBFF demo video is the soft version of the look - otherwise yikes!

A more "bombastic" and something a little more sensational looking fits the Action News format and Sinclair like a glove. When I see Arial, I either think someone is lazy or it's a new hire who used to do Power Point slides for some big corporation.

I know this is dated, but I always liked the Hearst package from the late 1990's. It's quick, it's ominous, it's upbeat, it sounds like something exciting is about to happen. Sinclair needs to stick to something like this.

I always liked the WDTN version of this open whenever I would catch it as well as their logo from the era, which looked like it used some variation of Highway Gothic.

WCVB:

WDTN:

That's a good point but why stop there? They are going on 30 years with essentially the same logo. It's time for something a lot better looking. Even the orignal Bauhaus version from Taft Broadcasting looked a lot better than the current "6".

I'm not a Sinclair hater, but since that is (or at least was) one of their most important stations, a new logo is looooooooooooooong overdue.

I don't know where they are in the pecking order these days with all the new stations they've bought, but since they seem to keep pumping money into the station, that tells me WSYX is still pretty high up on the totem pole.

Before Sinclair bought like 1000 tv station (joking) WSYX made the most $$$ out of the food chain. Now since they have former Fisher, Freedom, Clear Channel, Barrington Stations and others. I'm not sure if they still make the most $$$$ out the chain. However the product is still cookie cutter. I agree with you since 1984 they've had that same 6 logo and 30 yrs later it been updated very little. However Sinclair look is not as polished as the other broadcast outlets like Hearst, Cox, Gannett, Scripps, ABC O&O ie. Sinclair look is like the immature high school student..

I'm going to go and say it's a stone cold mortal lock GrooveWorx is doing the new Sinclair music or whatever this new package is. The bumper music really sealed it for me. WCAU's been trying to get what it can out of LA Groove, when done properly (they're not pitching up the opening cues, so that's one thing). They're not using the standard LA Groove bumper but a more urgent, ticker-based cue.

You can hear it here:

In fact, KABB was the first station that got the current refresh of the Sinclair graphics in 2011 as well as the first that got a new-gen Devlin set (he basically models all his sets off KABB now, before then they were kind of sucky).

If you mean the KABB set was sucky, perhaps. If you mean the previous Devlin set that WSYX, WBFF and WEAR (among others) have, you are dead wrong. That is one cool looking set, and I think I might still like it even better than the new generation of Devlin sets.

Some of the new Devlin sets, like San Antonio and Charleston WV, look great! I especially like the job they did in Charleston. Others, like the one in Dayton, look el cheapo.

If you mean the KABB set was sucky, perhaps. If you mean the previous Devlin set that WSYX, WBFF and WEAR (among others) have, you are dead wrong. That is one cool looking set, and I think I might still like it even better than the new generation of Devlin sets.

Some of the new Devlin sets, like San Antonio and Charleston WV, look great! I especially like the job they did in Charleston. Others, like the one in Dayton, look el cheapo.

Actually I forgot about those sets. Those are nice sets. I was using WOAI's previous set as an example. That set sucked. KSAZ's old set also wasn't great.

Archived