Possible New Sinclair Look & Music?

promoguy98

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who is the v/o talent for that??? Whoever it is, it sucks. But again, this is SinCrap, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

-- Matt

That would be Richard Malmos. He does voiceovers for most of Sinclair's stations like WSYX/WTTE, KOKH and WCHS/WVAH.

I'm thinking that the changes will affect their legacy stations first, and the ones that have been upgraded to the "legacy" look like WTVC.

The others are going to take some time, since there are some housekeeping issues that will certainly have to be addressed, like equipment upgrades and overhauls in order to receive these new graphics, if the current equipment is vastly different from what is being used at the legacy stations.

Here's from a year ago from KUTV and the opening graphics should be the route where Sinclair should be at in this department.

I think that's left over from the Four Points days.

The one place the graphics will look good is on the former Barrington stations. It's hard to believe that there is someone with a cheaper look than Sinclair until you see the graphics on the former Barrington stations.

For example, this is how KRCG in Columbia, MO looks:

And it's not the market. Because this is how other stations in that market look:

Well as I live on a hill about two miles on a clear day from my window I can see the Sinclair HQ in Cockeysville and can report that despite some hints from WSYX the package would be debuting sometime soon they still are using this version of their graphics

with an L bar with brushed metal background.

Well as I live on a hill about two miles on a clear day from my window I can see the Sinclair HQ in Cockeysville and can report that despite some hints from WSYX the package would be debuting sometime soon they still are using this version of their graphics

The look from that graphic package is circa 1998, circa 1999, and for the life of me can't understand why this company can't step-up to the 21st century and look like circa 2013. The company website is cookie cutter just like their many stations. Just think Sinclair was this close to buy Belo Stations if Gannett didn't get them. Of course WBFF is the company flagship so they will get top billing, but common Sinclair.

Yes KUTV graphics was from their four points days, but there a heck of lot better vs these Sinclair packages.

(WSYX 5pm open 2014) I like this cut of the music from the former Taft Station.

Is
the L-bar you're referring to? Because if so, KABB uses an almost identical L-bar during their morning newscasts only.

Is

the L-bar you're referring to? Because if so, KABB uses an almost identical L-bar during their morning newscasts only.

The same case with WZTV before they went HD; however, it was still being used during the 4:00am hour (they don't have a newscast during that time though, unlike the rest of the Nashville stations).

The same case with WZTV before they went HD; however, it was still being used during the 4:00am hour (they don't have a newscast during that time though, unlike the rest of the Nashville stations).

KABB still has it after going HD, however the far right portion of the "L" gets cut off in 4:3 aspect ratio.

On a related note, the computer in master control which generates this broke last year. Viewer outcry on why their beloved L-bar was missing (I'm not kidding) got them to replace it...

Is

Nope it's a different version of the L Bar with brushed metal as the background and the added information is on the left not the right.It has a two layered bottom ticker that in the morning display sports scores on the bottom with news on the top. The bottom portion is kept during the afternoon and evening newscasts like the one in this video.

Yes the second generation HD sets that Sinclair has been installing are much better than the first generation.

I don't know that I agree. The second generation sets are pretty simple whereas the first generation Devlin sets have a lot going on, including a swiveling news desk platform that gives you different looks depending on when and where the news is showing. For some reason, it's interesting to see the weather from the right and then later from the left. It mixes things up visually and makes things a little more interesting in my opinion. I also like the 25 monitors.

Now that is a "real" set.

Too bad I can't find any better pictures.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2008/06/11/wbff-and-sinclair-go-hd/

Here's a video that gives a little bit of a better look:

who is the v/o talent for that??? Whoever it is, it sucks. But again, this is SinCrap, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

-- Matt

He is the "Extraordinary" Richard Malmos, the Don Pardo of Sinclair and MeTV. He is an actor and a voiceover artist.

http://www.richardmalmos.com/

http://www.richardmalmos.com/audio/06-06_RMalmos_promo.mp3

I actually like the guy's voice, though he does take some getting used to. I can't say that I had an opinion one way or another when they first started using him 10 or 15 years ago.

I actually like it. On our 6 as "Breaking News pointed out, Our 6 has always been Fat and if it wasn't... there would be problems. A tiny part of me misses the little line out of the old 6 logo where the 6 connects. But with what I've saw so far... I like it.

For Sinclair this is a UPGRADE and much needed one. Their current package has been around since 2007 and it shows!

A big, chunky 6 isn't a problem. The 6/9 with a line in it is a bit out of date, however.

KUSA still uses it, but they've used it for decades, and they're even still using a stripe treatment with it; aside from adding the NBC peacock it really is the same as it was in the 80s.

A big, chunky 6 isn't a problem. The 6/9 with a line in it is a bit out of date, however.

KUSA still uses it, but they've used it for decades, and they're even still using a stripe treatment with it; aside from adding the NBC peacock it really is the same as it was in the 80s.

And, might I add, I'm SICK of it. NBC is an after thought! They have used that logo for 30 years (org. 1984) and they desperately need an update.

I don't think it's any worse than the circle-7s. It doesn't look particularly up-to-the-minute but it's pretty familiar.

(Same goes for the circle-9 logos that KMBC and a couple others are still using after all these years.)

I don't think it's any worse than the circle-7s. It doesn't look particularly up-to-the-minute but it's pretty familiar.

(Same goes for the circle-9 logos that KMBC and a couple others are still using after all these years.)

Circle Sevens are the McDonald's arches of TV logos. They look good and will never go out of style.

Most of the variants of the circle 7 shouldn't have gotten off the drawing board, though.

I have a beef with Scripps-Howard's Circle 5. The old version WPTV and the old version of WEWS looked great. The updated Circle 5 WEWS uses has a pretty goofy looking "5", IMO.

Why do CBS O&O's have such horrid looking logos?

Hell, WSYR updated their logo to look like KMBC's.

• 4 weeks later...

Rumor is that KEYE will be getting these graphics around November, but that's all it is, a rumor. Sinclair really only seems to be communicating with their flagship stations regarding the roll out of this look, but honestly I'd be perfectly fine if KEYE didn't get these. Being the only station left in Austin without a corporate look is great and I hope they don't have to make the switch, but who knows.

They've already pushed most of the new music to most of the stations currently in their iNews system. I like it better than the old version. Not drastically different, but sounds more modern. Also, it appears that there will be two different "themes" when it comes to the graphics: "glass" and "curves." The music (4-note signature) is designed for each theme and slightly different in terms of "whoosh" accents. Still haven't seen what the graphics actually look like.

Archived