Possible New Sinclair Look & Music?

promoguy98

Rumor is that KEYE will be getting these graphics around November, but that's all it is, a rumor. Sinclair really only seems to be communicating with their flagship stations regarding the roll out of this look, but honestly I'd be perfectly fine if KEYE didn't get these. Being the only station left in Austin without a corporate look is great and I hope they don't have to make the switch, but who knows.

KXAN doesn't have a corporate look, either. And KEYE badly needs an update one way or the other. The current package is seven years old, has always seemed a little bit cheap to me, and doesn't look cohesive any more because so many bits and pieces have been borrowed from the Nexstar and Sinclair looks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only good ones, in my opinion, are KTVT's and WFOR's.

KPIX - using the original Group W font and not a crappy redraw - isn't half bad, either. The usage of Arial and Helvetica for the other CBS O&O logos, on the other hand...

I can't decide with CBS O&O logo is the worst: WCBS or WJZ. While WCBS's "2" is a graphical relic from the early 80s, WJZ's box logo - especially the crappy redrawn "13" - has looked gaudy and cheap for well over a decade.

WJZ's box logo - especially the crappy redrawn "13" - has looked gaudy and cheap for well over a decade.

Doesn't help that WJZ's graphics look gaudy and cheap too. I think the crappy graphics make the logo look uglier than it actually is.

I actually think the WCBS one looks fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I would bet large sums of money that the music is done by GrooveWorx. Some of the instrumentation sounds similar to some of their production music and the new Univision package.

Ok. I'll take your large sums of money. How much are you offering?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread but I thought I would share this video from WBFF's A Block featuring the L bar ticker that I think has not been posted here. It appears they still have a few kinks to work out.

[yt]-7LU0j-d7KU[/yt]

(The video is still processing.)

WBFF is still working out the kinks. They need to add the sponsor image which appears in the white space underneath the logo on the right hand side. They also need to add additional current weather locations - only one is listed and that is Baltimore leaving two empty boxes, I would suggest Washington DC and maybe the Eastern Shore or Annapolis. Apparently their traffic system did not switch over yet as it still uses the old graphics package.

During the evening news underneath the standard ticker there are three weather boxes showing the weather forecast for today and the following two days. They say log on to their website for more weather information. They apparently chose to leave the three day forecast on screen for the rest of the show. It looks very weird considering the image is essentially static. I think they should either go the hyper local weather route or add in sports scores underneath their ticker during evening newscasts.

Over all it appears that this launch was rushed.

Yup, right down to the Allbritton/Four Points/Freedom/Barrington/Fisher/Newport stations.

Yeah, but who knows how long it will take to implement this package group-wide. Sinclair has grown a ton since the last package was implemented and it still took a few years for Sinclair to implement that package group-wide.

• 1 month later...

Sooner that WHP/WLYH get this, the better.

Their current package is so stale.

-- Matt

If it wasn't a bastardization of the previous package, it would probably look better.

Aside from KMTR (which is STILL in 4x3 SD!), all the other former Newport stations that had this WOIO-esque Action News package have dumped it.

Since WPMI and WHP have similar sets (that are both Devlin), it's just a matter of changing the graphics on the monitors and changing the LED colors on the panels.

As of this posting, WEAR, WLOS, KGAN and KABB are the only legacy Sinclair stations left with the old look (aside from WACH's hybrid bastardization)....

So far, WTOV and KDBC/KFOX have upgraded to the new look from the Cox acquisitions....

...and WTVC is the only Freedom station to be totally Sinclair-ized with first the legacy look, and now the new look. (even though WRGB got a Sinclair set...)

As of this posting, WEAR, WLOS, KGAN and KABB are the only legacy Sinclair stations left with the old look (aside from WACH's hybrid bastardization)....

So far, WTOV and KDBC/KFOX have upgraded to the new look from the Cox acquisitions....

...and WTVC is the only Freedom station to be totally Sinclair-ized with first the legacy look, and now the new look. (even though WRGB got a Sinclair set...)

KABB will likely go with it in December after WOAI moves their newscasts to the KABB studios. KABB is using a weird mishmash of the old Sinclair package along with some in-house elements and has been for a couple of years now. I really need to get a montage up (before December) so you guys can see it.

I am sure WDKY-56 in Lexington, KY will be the last to get the new look. They still have the old, old, old website

I wouldn't expect them to ever get the new website. As long as they don't produce their own newscasts, they probably never will. KDNL and WPGH both have the old sites too.

Archived