Whoa! Fox wants KCPQ!?

Samantha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't have anything to do with KCPQ. But this could mean something...

Looking through tonight's paperwork, KBCB in Bellingham, WA is being sold to (get ready y'all) FOX!!!! for $10M. The station is also letting Fox operate it under an LMA, until the sale closes.

First of all, the station's coverage area goes further north so it doesn't reach Seattle proper, but it does reach to the southern portions of British Columbia (reaches Vancover proper).

But there's some unanswered questions. Why would they want a TV station that doesn't reach Seattle proper (unless they want to go for cable coverage)? Are they're going to make that station a possible MYNet channel and possibly place a repeater for Fox with it? Or do they want to make this the new Fox station (which I would think it would be extremely unbelievable). I would still think, Fox needs to have at least one of the stations in the Seattle proper to go with KBCB, whether its KCPQ or not.

But it is very clear that Fox wants to make its mark in Seahawks territory.

This doesn't have anything to do with KCPQ. But this could mean something...

Looking through tonight's paperwork, KBCB in Bellingham, WA is being sold to (get ready y'all) FOX!!!! for $10M. The station is also letting Fox operate it under an LMA, until the sale closes.

First of all, the station's coverage area goes further north so it doesn't reach Seattle proper, but it does reach to the southern portions of British Columbia.

But there's some unanswered questions. Why would they want a TV station that doesn't reach Seattle proper (unless they want to go for cable coverage)? Are they're going to make that station a possible MYNet channel and possibly place a repeater for Fox with it? Or do they want to make this the new Fox station (which I would think it would be extremely unbelievable). I would still think, Fox needs to have at least one of the stations in the Seattle proper to go with KBCB, whether its KCPQ or not.

But it is very clear that Fox wants to make its mark in Seahawks territory.

Well now THIS is interesting...

For reference, here's the coverage maps of KCPQ and KZJO. My first thought is that KBCB could be made a satellite of one of the two.

Maybe this is a backup plan for KBCB? If Tribune doesn't blink and won't sell KCPQ, then it would seem easy for Fox to boost the signal of KBCB, get more cable carriage, and build it up the same way they did with WJZY. If Tribune blinks and sells KCPQ to Fox, then Fox can turn KBCB into a satellite of KBCB.

It sounds like they have their bases covered. This was what many presumed would happen if Cox didn't budge on KTVU and if Fox would have bolted and built up KOFY or KRON.

If Fox resorts to yanking KCPQ's affiliation and moving it to KBCB, it seems like a repeat of what happened with NBC and KNTV, except at least KNTV was an established player in part of the Bay Area. Fox is starting from zero with KBCB.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that Fox doesn't seem to have any intention of including KTBC in the sale of WPWR to Tribune and using it to get KZJO as well. It would help Tribune get under the ownership cap.

It's not like Fox hasn't done it before. They did it with WJZY, which is obviously a work in progress but will probably get there eventually, and they spent all of the 90s building up their O&Os. As you would also know, they built up KDVR from scratch in a market that's smaller than but similarly-sized to Seattle. I can't remember if there were any other Fox O&Os with no news departments that they built up from scratch, but that was probably the biggest one. If any network were to be so bullish on building up their own stations, it would be Fox.

As you would also know, they built up KDVR from scratch in a market that's smaller than but similarly-sized to Seattle. I can't remember if there were any other Fox O&Os with no news departments that they built up from scratch, but that was probably the biggest one.

WFXT had newscasts produced by NECN at the tail end of the Boston Celtics' ownership. Fox took the newscasts completely in-house when they bought back the station.

I'm reminded of when CBS bought WVEU in Atlanta:

"With no other options, CBS needed something in case their continued pushes to convince a station failed, and the network entered into a contract to buy WVEU, a low-rated independent on channel 69. Based out of tiny offices near Spaghetti Junction, CBS promised that WVEU would start a local news operation, but they didn’t have much alacrity in moving forward with plans for local news."

Of course, CBS never actually affiliated with WVEU. I think this is a bargaining move, personally. But if Fox decides that KBCB will become its affiliate "Fox 24", it will have a lot of work to do—probably the most work Fox has ever had in a TV station. I'd imagine that this station would need a much larger physical plant.

Or could Fox ignore all the established players and build up a new station from scratch?

I could also see Tribune playing hardball and perhaps acquiring the CBS affiliation from KIRO...forcing Fox's hands by lack of an affiliate. When does KIRO's affiliation with CBS expire? I doubt Gannett will be willing to sell KONG unless they get something big in return...

We're not in the top 4. That much I know.

Right now, I think it ranks KXLN (Uni), KPRC, KTRK, KHOU, KRIV (maybe).

Usually the Mike Mcguff blog posts the sweeps month wrap, but I can't find anything for May or June 2014.

IMO, there is no way in hell Gannett or Sinclair get rid of KOMO or KING.

KIRO-maybe, but FOX had a chance to get them with the KTVU deal and didn't, so who knows there.

KSTW-I really don't understand why CBS even bothers keeping them. This goes back to the Les Moonves saying CBS would buy stations if it wasn't for the cap. Why have a CW in Seattle when you can have a CBS somewhere else.

I could see Gannett willing to part with KONG for the right price. There are two viable options for a trade with FOX.

-KRIV(notice how I didn't say KTXH): Would give Gannett a huge (and legal without shells) duopoly in one of the biggest markets in a state they are huge in. BUT, it comes at a price. A combined newsroom would likely occur, meaning loss of jobs and only 3 English news ops in a huge market. Would the FCC approve, even if it is a legal duopoly.

-WOFL/WRBW: Sure it is a secondary market for an NFC team. But if FOX wants a decent presence in Seattle enough they should consider ditching it and they want in Seattle badly, so they will probably overpay. Gannett would be a huge winner in this deal, giving up an indy in a heavy blue state for a Big 4 in a huge battleground state (which means tons of political ad money every few years). Only problem is a conflict with Florida Today (newspaper), but that will be ending soon, so worst case scenario would be sending the duopoly to Sander for a few months.

The CBS Radio Seattle cluster is rumored to be on the block BECAUSE CBS supposedly wants to tie their stations more closely with their TV O&Os. It makes sense, if you look at their recent trade with Beasley that strengthens their clusters in Philly and Miami, but it just can't be done with a standalone CW affiliate in KSTW.

In fact, if the talks with Tribune go south, it could be possible that Fox buys or trades with CBS to get KSTW, and the CW moves to KCPQ.

I'm still hoping for Tribune to announce an affiliation agreement with CBS for KCPQ, completely blowing up Fox's plan. (How long DOES the KIRO affiliation last?)

Might Tribune also be interested in WOFL/WRBW?

Now that the Orlando Sentinel is out of the way, sure they would; but Fox seems intent on shaking Tribune down. On what planet is WPWR a fair trade for KCPQ? Fox needs to get serious and at least put KTBC on the table, if not KRIV and/or WOFL. Tribune won't/shouldn't budge otherwise.

Archived