Diane Sawyer stepping down, Muir in

TheRob

Also, a sleeper for WNT Weekend? Gio Benitez

Diane Sawyer's future after ABC if she ever decides to leave? Replacing Charles Osgood on CBS This Morning?

PREDICTION: ABC Election Night will feature George anchoring solo with David as an in-studio correspondent.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, a sleeper for WNT Weekend? Gio Benitez

Diane Sawyer's future after ABC if she ever decides to leave? Replacing Charles Osgood on CBS This Morning?

PREDICTION: ABC Election Night will feature George anchoring solo with David as an in-studio correspondent.

Do you think that Gio going to be the weekend replacement because he seem too much of a morning person to me. I believe its going to a woman like Paula Faris, Rebecca Jarvis, or Deborah Roberts. If it goes to a man I think it would be either Byron Pitts or Dan Abrams.

George will probably never anchor another episode of WNT again unless ABC decides to give him a rare substitute opportunity while David will be solely in charge of WNT which will no longer be the flagship newscast of ABC News. It makes sense to put George and David in their respective places because those are their strengths.

I think this is false. I think we will see George anchor WN. Maybe not every time David is off but we will see him anchor.

WNT which will no longer be the flagship newscast of ABC News.

This is just completely false. WN is and will continue to be the flagship of ABC News. Just because the ABC News Lead Anchor won't anchor it doesn't mean it isn't the flagship.

When she leaves ABC, she is retiring. She isn't going to another network.

Probably not. David isn't a "correspondent," he is an anchor. He will be sitting right next to George at the anchor desk.

Overall, I think you are giving this change too much credit. In the end of the day, David is going to be Diane and George will continue to anchor the special reports as he has been doing for about a year now.

I think ABC made the right moves in this case. If you really think about it, it made no sense to take George off a resurging GMA, where his departure could have resulted in losing viewers. Plus, ABC is thinking long term by putting David in the WNT chair. Had they given the spot to George, we might have been in this same exact position 10 years from now. This way, David gives ABC a long term solution to WNT position. Plus, George will still be around to help David along the way and the news division as well. It's a win-win for everyone and I'm pretty sure that George got a nice pay raise out of it as well.

There is little doubt in my mind that the weekend slot will go to a female or a minority. Yes, that may not be the best use of talent (though ABC has no shortage of qualified individuals that fall into said categories), but it's a politically correct business, and I can't imagine ABC will add another white guy when two in that demo will already be the faces of the network. I hadn't really thought about Claiborne as a candidate til now, but it's not so far fetched. I'm stilling calling Jarvis and Pitts as the favorites, but Harris isn't a stretch, despite the fact that he contradicts my prediction. My big reservation is that GMA Weekend has momentum like the main show, and Harris is a big part of its success. He's also already on Nightline, so it really doesn't make sense to shift him to weekend evenings and/or remove him from his semi-nightly duties.

As for the weeknight show, George will anchor on occasion. Period. As for the other subs, I'll put money down on Robach and Vargas. Which of the three is the primary? I couldn't begin to guess.

What are the chances we ever see Diane filling in for David? Or is she going to be totally done with that sort of thing now.

Uhhhhhhh...wow. I hadn't really thought about it. I guess it's POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely...like a last resort option. I think Brokaw's filled in for Williams like twice in the decade since he left, so there's really no precedent for this. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Diane pops up on GMA from time-to-time, much like Babs (who did anchor more than a few times last decade) and even (Uncle) Charlie Gibson.

Simple answer: I wouldn't hold your breath.

good riddance!

Didn't like her snobby attitude to the viewers.

Her legacy was ruining the World News brand. Once I saw static lower thirds and various effects and over stimulating 3D effects and graphics that was the long time staple of GMA, that was the end of my respect of the ABC News division. Then the story content was even worse.

Don't get me started with the "Instant Index" :p

I never understood the reason of getting the female demographics. It shows the network's sexism towards women as only being pretty and dumb.

David Muir will be just fine, I think he was auditioning for that position since he got to ABC News.

Meh, I don't think the story content will get much better until Ben Sherwood is shown the door. I wish both Diane Sawyer and David Muir well, but I still think I'll avoid ABC "World" News for the time being.

Meh, I don't think the story content will get much better until Ben Sherwood is shown the door. I wish both Diane Sawyer and David Muir well, but I still think I'll avoid ABC "World" News for the time being.

Well under Ben Sherwood GMA has risen to #1 in the mornings and World News is knocking on Nightly News' doorstep for being the #1 evening newscast too.

That's good; everyone has different tastes and options. I'm still avoiding them though since, as cbs2newengland pointed out, ABC News is (in my opinion) a shell of what it once was under Peter Jennings.

Well Ben is no longer president of ABC News.

TOTALLY unrelated, but Byron Pitts anchored Nightline on Friday night.

Are three regular anchors not enough? They need someone to fill in because not one of them could anchor?

This has been the quickest rant in TVNT history. Thanks for reading!

TOTALLY unrelated, but Byron Pitts anchored Nightline on Friday night.

Are three regular anchors not enough? They need someone to fill in because not one of them could anchor?

This has been the quickest rant in TVNT history. Thanks for reading!

Just a guess but with July sweeps coming up I've noticed in several places it seems like folks are in unusual places... here in Detroit WXYZ had the weekday morning meteorologist anchor the weekend morning news. Maybe it's just that time of year to fill the chairs with whoever you can find...

Just a guess but with July sweeps coming up I've noticed in several places it seems like folks are in unusual places... here in Detroit WXYZ had the weekday morning meteorologist anchor the weekend morning news. Maybe it's just that time of year to fill the chairs with whoever you can find...

They had the meteorologist anchor the news...in Detroit?

They had the meteorologist anchor the news...in Detroit?

Yes, they needed a co-anchor I suppose. It went ok but it was probably a one-off, every male reporter plus the meteorologist have filled in the vacant slot on the weekend morning newscast. The last two days have been running with a skeleton crew so tryouts for that anchor slot plus scheduling probably caused that. We have a news director that's very... Creative.

Yes, they needed a co-anchor I suppose. It went ok but it was probably a one-off, every male reporter plus the meteorologist have filled in the vacant slot on the weekend morning newscast. The last two days have been running with a skeleton crew so tryouts for that anchor slot plus scheduling probably caused that. We have a news director that's very... Creative.

I have no issue with mets also serving as co-anchors/reporters. They do that in small markets a lot. It's just the fact that it's Detroit...DMA 11 is it?...having a met serving as a co-anchor. Weekend or not. So that's interesting.

I have no issue with mets also serving as co-anchors/reporters. They do that in small markets a lot. It's just the fact that it's Detroit...DMA 11 is it?...having a met serving as a co-anchor. Weekend or not. So that's interesting.

It's the first time I've seen it here... it is market #11 but it can act smaller at times. WXYZ is a shell of what it was a few years ago anyways with all the attrition. At most other stations everybody can be serious, it comes more labored there, the people are almost too silly. It could be that the meteorologist asked to try out for the spot as well. Sometimes the evening sports guys and meteorologists will fill in on the weekend evenings too. Apparently the folks at WXYZ are more flexible than most, even the weekday 5pm male anchor filled in on a Sunday morning about a month ago. The product is good but the new news director is creative and trying to build a better product after 5 bad years of decline in quality and is running daily experiments everywhere, there have been dozens of one off events to try to figure it all out for the fall. If it matters he is Bill Careys protege and assistant ND from Carey's time at WXYZ, that was the best they had been in years and they lost their mojo after 8 years of the Carey model with the standardization, new slogan, attrition etc. Alot of the one offs have Bill Carey written all over them.

Speaking of ABC, WSYX Meteorologist Bill Kelly was on ABC again this weekend. I know a couple of people on this board said he was a bit too hyperactive for their tastes. I liked the guy from the first time I saw him. He has the "it" factor and it looks like ABC recognizes this too.

10314713_595334410584583_1074543633563448378_n.jpg

Archived