Diane Sawyer stepping down, Muir in

TheRob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone that hates World News and loves Nightly News, this is concerning. If NBC ends up coming in second behind ABC in the evening newscast as well then they might as well stop trying and pack up shop.

Huh? That makes no sense.

I'm guessing he means that 'NN' is the last hold on #1 that NBC has, and if they lose it, what does that say to their future?

If you ask me, I think they already have lost their #1 position. ABC World News has been ahead of NBC Nightly News in sweeps

I'm guessing he means that 'NN' is the last hold on #1 that NBC has, and if they lose it, what does that say to their future?

This stuff seems pretty cyclical, they lose it but will eventually get it back when Muir goes astray or the product quality and story selection declines.

This stuff seems pretty cyclical, they lose it but will eventually get it back when Muir goes astray or the product quality and story selection declines.

May be just a cycle. Don't forget, ABC fell to #3 in the turmoil following Peter Jennings' death and Bob Woodruff's injury -- (Remember the awful attempts of having Elizabeth Vargas co-anchor with Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer?) -- but surged to #1 under Charles Gibson before falling back to second place just before his retirement.

David Muir says Peter Jennings is his idol and he grew up watching Peter so let's hope he brings some "world news" back into World News.

I doubt Cecilia is in the running. She was okay, but I wasn't particularly impressed. Oh, and when George was on GMA this morning, they introduced him as 'anchor of This Week and chief anchor of ABC News', so they either let it slip too soon, or the title is now in effect and Diane is officially a lame duck. Though, I do recall thinking dates out in my mind, and I'm understanding it that Diane will leave, but David will not immediately take the chair, that there might be a week or two between the exit and ascension.

Something I've noticed as David has filled in, they seem to be doing what GMA did to gain #1 status and that is making it fast paced. I don't know for sure but it seems David is adding more stories than Diane and it just moves a lot faster. I like it a lot.

Is Diane gone already? Maybe it's just a coincidence but every time I've watched over the past few weeks David has been at the desk.

Diane was on-air last week, I'm sure at this point, they want to get David to the viewers even more so full weeks for her on WN are likely done at this point. My guess is David will be on at least once a week for now on; maybe she gets one more full week until she steps down.

Call me clueless, but I'm watching Greta Van Sustern on Fox right now. She has a panel of three wet behind the ears punks. One of them is Rick Klein, ABC's Political Director, brother of Ezra Klein.

What the hell is this punk doing as political director? I know he's 38 but I don't get it.

David Brinkley and Peter Jennings must be spinning in their graves.

Call me clueless, but I'm watching Greta Van Sustern on Fox right now. She has a panel of three wet behind the ears punks. One of them is Rick Klein, ABC's Political Director, brother of Ezra Klein.

What the hell is this punk doing as political director? I know he's 38 but I don't get it.

David Brinkley and Peter Jennings must be spinning in their graves.

I can't find any information that Rick and Ezra are related, Rick is a native of Long Island and Ezra is from California. The only mention of a siblings to Ezra is an older half brother named Gideon and a younger sister. http://nymag.com/news/features/ezra-klein-2014-2/index3.html

But yes I agree I'd like a political director to be at least in his 40s.

I can't find any information that Rick and Ezra are related, Rick is a native of Long Island and Ezra is from California. The only mention of a siblings to Ezra is an older half brother named Gideon and a younger sister. http://nymag.com/news/features/ezra-klein-2014-2/index3.html

But yes I agree I'd like a political director to be at least in his 40s.

Just look at the two and the connection is obvious.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%22rick+klein%22+%22ezra+klein%22+brother

Watching coverage of the Malaysian airplane crash in Ukraine, David started the coverage for ABC but George came in about 15 minutes later and took over. This is weird.

That is weird. Surely they could co-anchor coverage of this (stunning) breaking news. But I guess this is the new reality for ABC News. We'll get used to it...

Archived