Diane Sawyer stepping down, Muir in

TheRob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of surprised by the timing of the event. I understand the network probably wanting to have a 'new season, new anchor' sort of situation, but I thought she'd wait out the rest of the year. And before we all start to gossip, I do believe Diane when she says this was her decision. Say what you will about the direction it went into, but World News has become a very strong #2 in the ratings under her and I'll be interested to see if the momentum sticks under Muir. I wonder if this could finally boost CBS and Scott Pelley to #2.

Weird arrangement. Muir gets the newscast, but then if any big or breaking news stories come in, he has to give up the desk to "Chief Anchor" Stephanopolous? Sounds like ABC doesn't have faith in Muir being able to convey gravitas to the audience.

Weird arrangement. Muir gets the newscast, but then if any big or breaking news stories come in, he has to give up the desk to "Chief Anchor" Stephanopolous? Sounds like ABC doesn't have faith in Muir being able to convey gravitas to the audience.

Or more so that ABC probably had to compensate George for giving World News to Muir maybe?

I don't think it is a reflection of that at all. I think it's ABC's way of not completely shafting George.

David Muir has hosted plenty of special reports in Diane's absence.

Kind of surprised by the timing of the event. I understand the network probably wanting to have a 'new season, new anchor' sort of situation, but I thought she'd wait out the rest of the year. And before we all start to gossip, I do believe Diane when she says this was her decision. Say what you will about the direction it went into, but World News has become a very strong #2 in the ratings under her and I'll be interested to see if the momentum sticks under Muir. I wonder if this could finally boost CBS and Scott Pelley to #2.

Number 2 in total viewers but as of recently, number 1 in the demo.

I don't think it is a reflection of that at all. I think it's ABC's way of not completely shafting George.

David Muir has hosted plenty of special reports in Diane's absence.

I think Muir should have got GMA and George WN. Perhaps they did not want another change at GMA?

Let the speculation begin as to who succeeds Muir on weekends. I hope it's Vargas. I'd like to see a woman with a hard news background get that spot.

It is definitely unorthodox for the "chief anchor" of a major network to be anyone other than the anchor of the evening broadcast. It just hasn't been done that way before. But, as I said above, I suspect giving George that title was the only way to not totally screw him over. Plus, George belongs covering elections and interviewing politicians -- it's something George is very good at and David has not really done at all.

My prediction is George will remain in this capacity as "chief anchor" until he retires, at which point David will just assume the responsibilities of that role.

Also of note is that David will be anchor and managing editor -- an additional title the other two network anchors have had that Diane did not. Not sure if this is just an extra title or if David will actually have more control over the stories that are covered.

I was of the suspicion that a transition was not going to be made in the near future given the recent success of World News with Diane at the helm, and that when a transition was to be made, George would take the chair and David would replace him on GMA. However, George hasn't filled in for Diane on WN in a long time. It's almost exclusively been David, and David has been filling in for her often (at least once a week). So, in that respect, I'm also not surprised.

Well, this is surprising. I don't care for Diane Sawyer in the role of evening news anchor but I thought she would stick around for at least a few more years.

To those hoping this change helps the CBS Evening News, don't get your hopes up. ABC News went with Muir because he was mentored by Diane. His weekend newscasts, a toned down version of Diane's, reflect this mentorship. Stephanopolous, talented as he is, would've made changes to the newscast. He would've added more political content, because that is his background and his strength. Viewers might have rejected an evening newscast with a political focus and the Evening News might have been able to capitalize on these changes. ABC News didn't want to alienate the viewers of their evening newscast or their morning show through more turnover, so they went with the next best option, a man who is well known to their viewers and, more importantly, will not change World News very much. The ratings might go down slightly for the first few months of Muir's tenure, but this is a continuation of the status quo.

Well, this is surprising. I don't care for Diane Sawyer in the role of evening news anchor but I thought she would stick around for at least a few more years.

To those hoping this change helps the CBS Evening News, don't get your hopes up. ABC News went with Muir because he was mentored by Diane. His weekend newscasts, a toned down version of Diane's, reflect this mentorship. Stephanopolous, talented as he is, would've made changes to the newscast. He would've added more political content, because that is his background and his strength. Viewers might have rejected an evening newscast with a political focus and the Evening News might have been able to capitalize on these changes. ABC News didn't want to alienate the viewers of their evening newscast or their morning show through more turnover, so they went with the next best option, a man who is well known to their viewers and, more importantly, will not change World News very much. The ratings might go down slightly for the first few months of Muir's tenure, but this is a continuation of the status quo.

I completely agree. David is going to pretty much continue the WN Diane created where as George would have probably gone back to World News Tonight. Even when George fills in for Diane on WN, it feels like a completely different newscast where as David just fits right in.

One nice thing is, David is 40, so he can anchor for years to come, we don't have to even think about him retiring yet. Where as both Charlie and Diane was older when they assumed the chair and were clearly not going to be with the program as long as say, Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw or Peter Jennings.

What do toy think this will do to their ratings? David had been able to hold on to them just fine...but one could argue that Ann Cury does the same thing.

Personally, I would have preferred George. I feel like David Muir is too immature at the desk.

These past couple of days have just been one event after another; The Fox and Cox trade, the Supreme Court ruling against Aereo a few minutes ago, and now this. I half expect Sunbeam to sell out next, or something else equally tumultuous. (I'm happy to see Diane go; she's been rotting WN from the inside out, so now I watch Scott Pelley.)

Another question that comes up, who is going to take over for David on the weekends? Byron? Dan Harris?

I don't think it'll be Byron. I think the safe choices are Dan Harris or Elizabeth Vargas. If they want to be a little more daring, I could see Rebecca Jarvis. She has filled in for David at least once and was pretty good.

I'm honestly more interested in the naming of David's replacement and that decision's ripple effect than the big news this morning. Will be interesting.

I don't think it'll be Byron. I think the safe choices are Dan Harris or Elizabeth Vargas. If they want to be a little more daring, I could see Rebecca Jarvis. She has filled in for David at least once and was pretty good.

I'm honestly more interested in the naming of David's replacement and that decision's ripple effect than the big news this morning. Will be interesting.

Dan Harris anchored Sunday's from 2006-11 so maybe he just returns. Paula Faris has anchored, though, I see her as more of a GMA anchor and less WN. I think Rebecca Jarvis or Elizabeth Vargas are both good options. Other options could be Dan Abrams, Bianna Golodryga or Juju Chang.

They could pull a Lester Holt and have Dan Harris do Weekend GMA and Weekend WN.

I'm kind of hoping for Rebecca Jarvis. She did well and I like having a female anchor of the evening news.

It's funny, but really don't mind the current format when Muir anchors. It always seemed a little too young for Sawyer. I also enjoy the production of the show with David. He uses the set to a fuller potential, and the Instant Index doesn't seem as long.

I'll post on some of the other matters when I'm in front of an actually keyboard and not my phone.

Also of note is that David will be anchor and managing editor -- an additional title the other two network anchors have had that Diane did not. Not sure if this is just an extra title or if David will actually have more control over the stories that are covered.

I'm fairly sure Diane is managing editor.

Splitting the duties between George and David is certainly an interesting move. If you think about it, when was the last time Diane anchored a special report? Not recent and not often. Even during semi-recent major breaking news, the Boston bombings and Newtown, those were anchored by George and David respectively. So it's not really a change for ABC.

Something else that will be interesting to see in the coming months, who goes where during big stories? Lets say there is big news in France (making this up). Who goes to France? World News anchor or ABC News Lead Anchor? Do they just split the duties (one goes one time, another goes the next)? It would seem that as anchor during breaking news, George should but what if both Brian Williams and Scott Pelly go? They wouldn't want to be the only one that didn't send their evening news anchor. These are some scenarios that will be interesting to see in the coming months and years.

Separately, I am hoping they completely remodel their main studios, the desk and studio are starting to get old. (Not as old as CBS's though.)

Overall, good move ABC. Just sad to see Diane step down, even if you don't like her anchoring on WN, you probably grew up with her on TV so it is sad.

I Knew it! I just knew something was going to happen with Diane! Muir has been on Weekday WN far too often! Or, is this normally the time for Diane to be on vacation? I know Diane only worked WN two days the week of the Clinton Interview, Plus Muir was on all last week, maybe even worked 6 days in a row.

Just read the ABC Article, 2 Things:

It said that Muir will still be covering "Big Breaking News Stories" so, I don't think he's done with Break In Special Reports. George can't be on call 24/7, I don't think he would want to be.

The article said George was great with the Boston Bomber manhunt, Which man? The Big Hunt where they found him in a boat, was with Diane! I remember watching that one. Diane was there since it broke during WN that night.

I Knew it! I just knew something was going to happen with Diane! Muir has been on Weekday WN far too often! Or, is this normally the time for Diane to be on vacation? I know Diane only worked WN two days the week of the Clinton Interview, Plus Muir was on all last week, maybe even worked 6 days in a row.

It said that Muir will still be covering "Big Breaking News Stories" so, I don't think he's done with Break In Special Reports. George can't be on call 24/7, I don't think he would want to be.

The article said George was great with the Boston Bomber manhunt, Which man? The Big Hunt where they found him in a boat, was with Diane! I remember watching that one. Diane was there since it broke during WN that night.

Not sure about the manhunt, but George did anchor ABC's initial break-in about the bombing:

Splitting the duties between George and David is certainly an interesting move. If you think about it, when was the last time Diane anchored a special report? Not recent and not often. Even during semi-recent major breaking news, the Boston bombings and Newtown, those were anchored by George and David respectively. So it's not really a change for ABC.

Something else that will be interesting to see in the coming months, who goes where during big stories? Lets say there is big news in France (making this up). Who goes to France? World News anchor or ABC News Lead Anchor? Do they just split the duties (one goes one time, another goes the next)? It would seem that as anchor during breaking news, George should but what if both Brian Williams and Scott Pelly go? They wouldn't want to be the only one that didn't send their evening news anchor. These are some scenarios that will be interesting to see in the coming months and years.

Separately, I am hoping they completely remodel their main studios, the desk and studio are starting to get old. (Not as old as CBS's though.)

Overall, good move ABC. Just sad to see Diane step down, even if you don't like her anchoring on WN, you probably grew up with her on TV so it is sad.

It seems that David travels more when it comes to the breaking stories. I think he will be the one who ABC sends out to cover the big stories. The reasonable approach would be to have George cover the break ins that take place in the morning, and David cover the break ins during the evening. It just wouldn't look right having Brian and Scott covering a story from the field while David is in the studio and George is in the field. The assignment makes sense as well, George is the best breaking news anchor at the network.

I was going to say this exact same thing. Something just seemed odd because every single time I had tuned into World News for the past six months David/George was there more than Diane. I don't think I've seen her anchor a full week this year.

I loved Diane during her stint on GMA but have had a hard time adjusting to her at the helm of World News so I'm not too sad to see her go. I hope that David will be a vast improvement over Diane's tenure in the chair.

Archived