Diane Sawyer stepping down, Muir in

TheRob

Watching coverage of the Malaysian airplane crash in Ukraine, David started the coverage for ABC but George came in about 15 minutes later and took over. This is weird.

How is it weird? This is the new flow of power for the network. Remember way back when when Charlie or Diane or somebody would start coverage until Peter got to the desk?

Same deal.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching coverage of the Malaysian airplane crash in Ukraine, David started the coverage for ABC but George came in about 15 minutes later and took over. This is weird.

Not what I saw. Bethenny was on in Milwaukee WI, a neighbor was at my door for a few seconds, then when I came back, George was on. Do local stations decide when to turn it over to the network for Breaking News. In Milwaukee, ABC was the last one to come on. Or, was WISN just slow today?

Wonder if ABC will pull Diane in for WN tonight if she's planned to be off tonight.

Not what I saw. Bethenny was on in Milwaukee WI, a neighbor was at my door for a few seconds, then when I came back, George was on. Do local stations decide when to turn it over to the network for Breaking News. In Milwaukee, ABC was the last one to come on. Or, was WISN just slow today?

Wonder if ABC will pull Diane in for WN tonight if she's planned to be off tonight.

Yes, they must've been late. TVNewser says ABC broke in around 10:4-something CT.

As for Diane. I doubt it. She's been off all week. If she is scheduled to be on tonight, she'll be there, but they're not going to bring her in.

At this point, I'd say George is officially top dog, Muir will get as much airtime as possible before he takes over WN, and Diane is the epitome of a lame duck.

Not 100% about how local stations decide when to break in but David definitely started the coverage. David tossed to a commercial break during the coverage and teased that George would be joining the desk to continue coverage and then George came back on at the top of the hour and has anchored since then. It's weird because you would assume that if David was there to begin the coverage that ABC would just keep him there or at least have him and George co anchor.

Not 100% about how local stations decide when to break in but David definitely started the coverage. David tossed to a commercial break during the coverage and teased that George would be joining the desk to continue coverage and then George came back on at the top of the hour and has anchored since then. It's weird because you would assume that if David was there to begin the coverage that ABC would just keep him there or at least have him and George co anchor.

In Philly when David tossed to a commercial break, Action News at Noon came on for at least 10 minutes or so. I hopped in the shower and when I came out, it was 12:22 and network coverage was back with George. I don't know if they ended the noon news early in order to show George, or if he just broke in.

While everyone is assessing David vs George, which mildly interesting, I'm far more compelled by the on- site reporting of freelancer John Wendle, which is just extraordinary.

He has been fantastic. I'm well aware that this story isn't a joke, and shouldn't be exploited for ratings, but his reports over the last hour have made for compelling television.

And now ABC is breaking into their coverage of the Malaysian Airlines crash to report on the beginning of Israel's ground offensive in Gaza. Some really unprecedented coverage here on ABC today.

A huge day of breaking news, especially here in New York.

To answer earlier questions: local stations do have the option to take or skip some special reports. For example, ABC aired a special report yesterday during the 5pm hour to bring live coverage of President Obama's comments on the situation in Ukraine. WABC, and I presume many other east coast stations, opted out of the report and stuck with local news. Today, ABC preempted their own network programming (The View) when David Muir broke in. So any stations that were on network programming automatically took the special report and got treated to the ABC countdown clock alerting other stations how much time they had to switch to the network if they wanted to.

For today's special report, it is not odd at all to have David starting and George taking over. Like an earlier poster said, remember the days when Charlie or Diane would start a report and Peter would take over. Also keep in mind that Good Morning America was still in progress on the west coast when the special report began. George may have been on standby at Times Square to do weat coast updates then had to shuttle uptown to HQ. They also broke it up just before noon to give local stations an opportunity to join in if they missed the first network cut in.

Here in New York, we also had a deal reached that averted a potential LIRR strike, so WABC had to cut away from the ABC News special report for some time to bring NYC coverage of the Governor's presser. Add to that, the President being in town, so WABC chose to break away for a few seconds during the 4pm news to show his motorcade passing right in front of their studios.

I understand the comparisons to Peter and Diane/Charlie but this situation is like Peter beginning coverage and then bringing in Charlie to anchor the entire afternoons coverage. As someone mentioned earlier this is the new set up for ABC coverage, so we'll get used to it.

The coverage from ABC today has been incredible and especially John Wendle's reports from the scene.

I understand the comparisons to Peter and Diane/Charlie but this situation is like Peter beginning coverage and then bringing in Charlie to anchor the entire afternoons coverage. As someone mentioned earlier this is the new set up for ABC coverage, so we'll get used to it.

The coverage from ABC today has been incredible and especially John Wendle's reports from the scene.

For a moment, ignore the broadcasts these people anchor. Peter and George hold title of chief anchor. Chuck and Di (at the time) and David do not. The chief anchor is the face of the network, and anchors special broadcasts. In the new set-up, the chief anchor does not helm the evening news.

For a moment, ignore the broadcasts these people anchor. Peter and George hold title of chief anchor. Chuck and Di (at the time) and David do not. The chief anchor is the face of the network, and anchors special broadcasts. In the new set-up, the chief anchor does not helm the evening news.

Exactly. George is chief anchor and, even before being given the title, has always co anchored major breaking news events. David is the anchor of World News and that's all. It's a new structure -- the morning anchor (whose program by the way funds the news division) is now the face of ABC News.

David is doing (I think) a better job than Brian Williams tonight. Very impressed by ABC's coverage today.

I can't believe how long they continued to be on the air - I turned the TV on around 3:15 and ABC was still airing coverage. They probably figured news was getting better ratings than "Katie."

I can't believe how long they continued to be on the air - I turned the TV on around 3:15 and ABC was still airing coverage. They probably figured news was getting better ratings than "Katie."

Well remember, Katie doesn't air on all ABC stations and it doesn't air at the same time everywhere. It had nothing to do with ratings, they (rightfully so) wanted to cover these huge stories.

When ABC initially broke in, the announce said "This is an ABC News Special report, with George Stephanopoulos" but it was actually David who broke in. Leads me to believe something happened with George that he couldn't initially anchor.

David broke in with today's special report when the president gave his speech.

Right now it's 6:47 pm and WN is just taking its first commercial break. Their coverage of the plane and the Middle East crisis is really impressing me, especially with the 7 reporters that contributed.

David's doing a great job. I think he was a really good choice to replace Diane.

When ABC initially broke in, the announce said "This is an ABC News Special report, with George Stephanopoulos" but it was actually David who broke in. Leads me to believe something happened with George that he couldn't initially anchor.

I noticed that, too. I assumed someone just cued up the wrong open.

• 3 weeks later...

He's been frequently filling in on Nightline lately, so I'm not surprised of his improvement. He and Jarvis alternated nights on the late shift all this week, because 3 rotating anchors is not enough.

Archived