Your Town

Leavellebrett

WJAC in Johnstown, PA started something this summer called, "Your Town." During the 5:30 newscast, the anchors travel to some different town in the market for 10 Fridays. They go for whatever festivity is happening there. Do any other Sinclair stations, or stations in general, do this?

Here is the website.

I remember when WFMJ had a special feature called "Trygar's Travels" where former chief meterorologist Dave Trygar would go to different towns in the Youngstown DMA and see all the happenings or a restaurant during the weather segment. Also, before the SSA, WYTV used to have Stan Boney do a similar thing except it was used more to promote the WYTV weather vehicle (aka the "Weather Blazer", a Chevy TrailBlazer).

Traveling to other towns and doing a remote newscast? Nope, not here. However KENS and WOAI like to do a backyard barbecue (since this is Texas after all) every Friday during the summer. KENS 5 has been doing this for over 10 years, maybe longer than that. WOAI started about five or six years ago. The weather man will go to sombeody's house and they get a free barbecue thrown by the station and a local sausage company (WOAI) or barbecue sauce company (KENS). The weather man does the 4, 5 & 6 PM weather forecast from the local family's backyard.

I'm not sure if the flagship WBFF does this.

However I believe Hearst station WCVB weekday prime access news magazine show Chronicle goes on the road on their Friday shows in the summer exploring towns all over New England. Similarly WMUR, their sister station in New Hampshire, does their own version of Chronicle but they explore local towns in NH. But after a way you'd think they would run out of destinations in such a small state.

Locally Maryland Public Television, the statewide PBS network, does a 60 minute show called Our Town. They've only aired a handful of episodes and the most recent one was Cumberland where they got William H Macy, who grew up there, to narrate it. They stated that they spent six months filming the episode.

Back in 1988, WKYT/27 in Lexington, KY did a similar activity called "Celebrate the Bluegrass" - different town each Friday for the 6pm newscast

Other than things like state or regional fairs, I don't recall any others doing "roving remote" newscasts.

If this begins turning into a list, KFSN did this, I know KTSP did this ("Celebrate Arizona") in the mid-80s... It's not a terribly rare thing but it's not all that common either.

I don't know what is with you and list threads.... This isn't one BTW.

WJAC in Johnstown, PA started something this summer called, "Your Town." During the 5:30 newscast, the anchors travel to some different town in the market for 10 Fridays. They go for whatever festivity is happening there. Do any other Sinclair stations, or stations in general, do this?

Here is the website.

KMOV has been doing these the past few summers, not sure if this will continue under the new ownership though.

Here is what the promos looked like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eg-J-kaCR8

Fox 26 does a sweeps month feature called Hometown Fridays. Feature packages and live remotes from different Houston neighborhoods and suburbs on Friday morning. Usually the entire 9 am hour is devoted to this effort with live hits incorporated into the newscasts starting at 6 am

Bay News 9 in Tampa, FL does a segment called "Florida on a Tankful" showing different events and attractions in Florida.

Now that you have reminded me, KENS 5 did some segments back in 2008 or 9 called "Trip on a Tankful" with their then traffic anchor Kellie Patterson. She would go to attractions somewhere in the viewing area and they had to cost under a certain amount and be an hour or less away from San Antonio. Needless to say, they didn't bring it back for a second year.

But no on the road newscasts in this market. Doesn't help that almost all of the market aside from San Antonio and New Braunfels is mostly rural (unlike most markets the majority of the population lives in the city itself and not in suburbs; hence we're the 7th largest city but 36th largest media market).

WFMZ used to do "One Tank Trip" segments that started during the rise of gas prices several years ago. I'm not sure if it still occurs, though. They would visit a local, often little-known, attraction and air a taped segment about it. Usually around 90 seconds or so.

I don't think any of the Philly stations do anything like that, aside from WPVI sending Adam Joseph & Malissa Magee out to a random spot "Down the Shore" on Thursday afternoons, and I think CBS3 does the same thing with "Orr at the Shore."

WJW in Cleveland had "One Tank Trips" starting in the late 70s until the reporter that did them, Neil Zurcher retired about 10 years ago. He even authored his own book in 1995 based on these segments, and still does a blog at www.onetanktrips.com.

Seeing as how this franchise lasted for almost 25 years, WJW and Neil Zurcher may have been where this started. The reasoning was due to the oil crisis of 1979 to promote trips that could be made with a tank of gas, or less.

WJW in Cleveland had "One Tank Trips" starting in the late 70s until the reporter that did them' date=' Neil Zurcher retired about 10 years ago. He even authored his own book in 1995 based on these segments, and still does a blog at www.onetanktrips.com.

Seeing as how this franchise lasted for almost 25 years, WJW and Neil Zurcher may have been where this started. The reasoning was due to the oil crisis of 1979 to promote trips that could be made with a tank of gas, or less.

Zurcher occasionally pays (or at least paid) visits to WJW's infotainment/talk "New Day Cleveland" with a travel segment or two, in effect keeping the segment alive. IDK if those visits to New Day are sponsored segments.

WKYC also had a long-running "Del's Folks" segment with the late Del Donahoo, but it more focused on area people and landmarks than on travel per se.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NewsHound

WJBF in Augusta does "Your Hometown" every once in awhile during afternoon newscasts. They've gotten to the point of extending it to special feature reports on the Saturday morning newscasts.

Archived