Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

I'm not in support of the merger, but I will say one thing about the commentaries from Sinclair - at least they don't make it look like it's a part of the newscast - different graphics, theme, look, etc. If you like the news on Sinclair's Local 37, but don't like the commentaries - perfect time to visit the crapper, walk the dog, or whatever makes you happy.

J

• Like 3

I'm not in support of the merger, but I will say one thing about the commentaries from Sinclair - at least they don't make it look like it's a part of the newscast - different graphics, theme, look, etc. If you like the news on Sinclair's Local 37, but don't like the commentaries - perfect time to visit the crapper, walk the dog, or whatever makes you happy.

To that point, is there some common time that the must-runs must be aired? If I were the GM of one of their stations, I'd air it on a digi sub at 3am.

Alright, here's another question about the forced-at-gunpoint-to-runs. Do they even spread to newscasts on Sinclair-owned stations that are produced by another station? I ask this because during my Fox station's newscast (which is produced by the CBS station) there was the sponsor tag for BLWB during the commercials, but the actual segment wasn't in the newscast.

• Like 1

Do that point, is there some common time that the must-runs must be aired? If I were the GM of one of their stations, I'd air it on a digi sub at 3am.

KOMO runs them during their 4:30am newscast.

I'm sure Hunt Valley isn't happy about that though but I do think they have to be at least inserted into the regular newscasts.

KOMO runs them during their 4:30am newscast.

I'm sure Hunt Valley isn't happy about that though but I do think they have to be at least inserted into the regular newscasts.

That KOMO is being portrayed as "defying" Sinclair by burying those must-runs at the least accessible time slot possible... that's only giving their GM and news director the biggest bull's-eye possible back at Hunt Valley.

They'll both get forced out for corporate lackeys in a few months, and KOMO will be ordered to air Osama bin Epshteyn and Mark Hernian at prime slots.

• Like 3

These segments don't just schedule themselves...

Somebody in traffic places those into the computer to run at a designated time.

They run where the computer and management say's to run.

It's entirely possible the GM or ND HAVE ASKED to run those at those times.

If I was in that position, and wanted those to run in the early 4:30am slot...I would say this first...

"We have hard news...and all our inventory is sold out for all our shows."

....no defiance...none.

I guarantee you with those words, that corporate would allow us run those in a "throwaway show" or in some other late-night slot. Anyplace where it does not disrupt paid spots...or "real" news coverage.

That's all you have to do is justify the move, these people are not stupid, they understand the mighty ad dollars.

So you all should get it out of your heads that local Sinclair management is permitting some kind of local defiance...cuz it ain't happening.

You can bet when the next big election cycle hits that those 'must runs" will creep into the main newscast...and be featured in nice slots....like just before weather.

(God bless Chris Manson the former national ND for Sinclair who recently passed...He was a fine man, and a wonderful father. he will be missed.)

• Like 8

I wonder how much leeway WJW is going to get under Hunt Valley. It's not exactly in a Top 10 market, and it's in a "ethnic Democrat" market.

Absolutely zero leeway. WJW has a lot of long-tenured staff and a lot of newscast output for a market this size. I expect an absolute bloodbath on day one because Sinclair.

Actually, a good analog would be how Cumulus Media ruined KGO 810 - but a lot of the factors that led to the death of KGO were probably unavoidable (demos that aged out of any relevance; a large and expensive payroll; Cumulus' desire to McRadio everything).

• Like 1

Absolutely zero leeway. WJW has a lot of long-tenured staff and a lot of newscast output for a market this size. I expect an absolute bloodbath on day one because Sinclair.

Actually, a good analog would be how Cumulus Media ruined KGO 810 - but a lot of the factors that led to the death of KGO were probably unavoidable (demos that aged out of any relevance; a large and expensive payroll; Cumulus' desire to McRadio everything).

Personally, I expect newscast output to be on WBFF levels, but as far as staffing, it will make the infamous WCBS 1996 massacre look tame.

• Like 3

Personally, I expect newscast output to be on WBFF levels, but as far as staffing, it will make the infamous WCBS 1996 massacre look tame.

And we all know what happened to WCBS - it's arguable they've never recovered. Fittingly, that massacre took place as Westinghouse completed their merger into CBS.

Corporate Mandate = Every station has to do it whether it fits the market or not.

Seriously, it's a miracle that WJAR is STILL number one in Providence.

WJAR hasn't had mass layoffs under the Smith family, no?

Plus it's the de facto OTA NBC affiliate for a significant portion of Boston because reasons.

I wonder how much leeway WJW is going to get under Hunt Valley. It's not exactly in a Top 10 market, and it's in a "ethnic Democrat" market.

What is an "Ethnic Democrat"?

Seriously, it's a miracle that WJAR is STILL number one in Providence.

Seriously???

Have you seen the competition?

• Like 3

Oh my gawd...

We starting to agree on stuff.

Shall I drown myself ...first?

So after forty-three months of sitting idle, the FCC has finally greenlighted WPFO's deal to Cunningham.

This deal was sat idle, after former FCC chairman Tom Wheeler issued a guidance to scrutinize deals that had sharing arrangements. That guidance was removed by current chairman Ajit Pai.

Because of this approval, I wouldn't be surprised if that other idle deal, KRNV/KENV to Cunningham, get the greenlight as well.

And that's exactly what happened.

After forty-six months, the KRNV/KENV deal - the last of the remnants of the late Jim Rogers' company - was greenlighted today.

And that's exactly what happened.

After forty-six months, the KRNV/KENV deal - the last of the remnants of the late Jim Rogers' company - was greenlighted today.

With this deal done, I wonder what happens next, will KRNV and KRXI swap owners so that Sinclair owns the Channel 4 license while Cunningham owns the Channel 11 license; furthermore, with Elko actually in the Salt Lake City market, will KENV become a KUTV satellite and allow KSL to become the sole NBC station for the Nevada side to the market?

• Like 2

With this deal done, I wonder what happens next, will KRNV and KRXI swap owners so that Sinclair owns the Channel 4 license while Cunningham owns the Channel 11 license; furthermore, with Elko actually in the Salt Lake City market, will KENV become a KUTV satellite and allow KSL to become the sole NBC station for the Nevada side to the market?

Probably won't happen, because KRNV and KENV are VHF stations, and thus would reduce cap space for Sinclair. Also, KSL doesn't really have coverage of Elko over-the-air.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright I have a question:

KOKH in Oklahoma City uses a different news music package for their opens and teases, but they still do use the 615 Music package for other things such as reopens and teases to weather and sports segments.

But what music package KOKH uses for their opens and teases to commercial breaks (not the weather or sports segments but the teases to commercial breaks) they use?

• Like 1