New graphics for CBS This Morning

cbs2worksforyou

Surprised no one posted this yet..unless I missed it. Did anyone catch the new graphics and intro to CBS This Morning today? Started out with new graphics and typography for L3 but as soon as the Eye Opener started, reverted back to the old font and L3s. Somewhat inconsistent.

That is a very New York-centric intro for a national morning show like CBS This Morning. 7 different shots of that one area, wow.

Agreed. While Good Morning America and Today are also New York-centric, at least their intros focus on the areas in NYC they broadcast from and highlight their studios' neighborhoods. CBS This Morning just looks like a local New York morning show open. They should have used that opportunity to show iconic American areas like the St. Louis Arch, Hollywood sign, Miami beach, a Midwestern farm, Rocky Mountains, Chicago, etc.

Anyone else find the seven shots in ten seconds a little too rapid. I think what would have looked better is if the intertwined those shots as transitional elements divided up between the different headline b-roll and the eye opener.

Agreed. While Good Morning America and Today are also New York-centric' date=' at least their intros focus on the areas in NYC they broadcast from and highlight their studios' neighborhoods. [/b'] CBS This Morning just looks like a local New York morning show open. They should have used that opportunity to show iconic American areas like the St. Louis Arch, Hollywood sign, Miami beach, a Midwestern farm, Rocky Mountains, Chicago, etc.

Let's face it 527 W 57th Street really isn't in that much of a photogenic neighborhood. Time Square is a tourist trap and Rockefeller Center is world famous. Meanwhile CBS Broadcast Center is spread over a hodgepodge of connected buildings - all probably under 10 stories if that, that would not look that dramatic on television.

I didn't like the last open that much, but compared to this, I LOVE that one more. The movements (for lack of a better term) of the logo parts feel forced to me and, like Dubtronic said (which is clearly bang on the nose), is really New York-centric. I know the program is produced and shown from New York, but it's a national show; like WABC said (also bang on the nose), it should look like one too.

Still need a voiceover if I'm honest. Doesn't need to be the massive morning voiceovers that we are used to, just something like (in time with the graphics and music) "This is CBS This Morning, here's Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King" or "From Studio 57 in New York City, Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King". The lady who usually does the voiceover for the sponsored Eye Opener is quite good IMO.

Anyone else find the seven shots in ten seconds a little too rapid. I think what would have looked better is if the intertwined those shots as transitional elements divided up between the different headline b-roll and the eye opener.

Let's face it 527 W 57th Street really isn't in that much of a photogenic neighborhood. Time Square is a tourist trap and Rockefeller Center is world famous. Meanwhile CBS Broadcast Center is spread over a hodgepodge of connected buildings - all probably under 10 stories if that, that would not look that dramatic on television.

Agree with that, too, but even more of a reason to use shots of landmarks across the country rather than multiple shots of one city. Besides the Statue of Liberty and Freedom Tower, the other landmarks shown mean nothing much to people outside the NYC area.

The idea of the different scenes is good, could be executed better though. In the background of the credits, they have slow moving shots of the studio, maybe that is the way to go with these. Have each scene on a different monitor, shot from different angles with the logo animation overlaid, and the final shot on the big screen behind the trio, then as the logo kicks forward, the camera pulls back to reveal the three. The current way it is executed is too calm to be honest.

The idea of the different scenes is good, could be executed better though. In the background of the credits, they have slow moving shots of the studio, maybe that is the way to go with these. Have each scene on a different monitor, shot from different angles with the logo animation overlaid, and the final shot on the big screen behind the trio, then as the logo kicks forward, the camera pulls back to reveal the three. The current way it is executed is too calm to be honest.

It's meant to be calm, that's what CBS This Morning is supposed to do - counteract the hyperactive GMA and Today... voiceovers, OTT camera moves and flashy graphics are not what CTM needs.

I like the idea here but the execution is not good. They should definitely vary the shots they use.

I preferred the intro that was introduced along with Norah in September 2012 (

).

CBS have a great set of music for the show however it doesn't really get used for start and end of part sequences like it used to which is a shame. All we ever get to hear is the intro music and eye opener music.

On the subject of Saturdays... they seem to be adopting a more similar format to the weekday show with the introduction of an eye opener but I do wonder why they don't have three anchors on the weekend too. Somebody like James Brown would be a fantastic addition.

Still need a voiceover if I'm honest. Doesn't need to be the massive morning voiceovers that we are used to, just something like (in time with the graphics and music) "This is CBS This Morning, here's Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King" or "From Studio 57 in New York City, Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King". The lady who usually does the voiceover for the sponsored Eye Opener is quite good IMO.

Or how about this for a voiceover: "From CBS News, This is CBS This Morning. Live from Studio 57 in New York City."

Here's what I would do if I were Chris Licht:

1. Rename the show, completely setting it apart from past incarnations of the morning show. Call it CBS Eye Opener after the current headlines segment, which has been one of the major hooks of the program from the beginning. Sell it with promos using this line: Open your eyes to a new choice for morning news. CBS Eye Opener. Weekdays from 7-9 AM.

2. Rename the Eye Opener Your World in 90 Seconds and use it as the open with this introductory voiceover by Charlie Rose: "Good morning and welcome to CBS Eye Opener. Now, Your World in 90 Seconds".

3. Follow Your World in 90 Seconds with the anchors introducing themselves and Gayle King teasing the second hour. Then cut to a commercial break and continue the rest of the program as normal.

1. Rename the show, completely setting it apart from past incarnations of the morning show. Call it CBS Eye Opener after the current headlines segment, which has been one of the major hooks of the program from the beginning. Sell it with promos using this line: Open your eyes to a new choice for morning news. CBS Eye Opener. Weekdays from 7-9 AM.

2. Rename the Eye Opener Your World in 90 Seconds and use it as the open with this introductory voiceover by Charlie Rose: "Good morning and welcome to CBS Eye Opener. Now, Your World in 90 Seconds".

3. Follow Your World in 90 Seconds with the anchors introducing themselves and Gayle King teasing the second hour. Then cut to a commercial break and continue the rest of the program as normal.

That'll be interesting in Boston. NewsCenter5's Eyeopener, and then CBS Eyeopener on WBZ 4. Oh boy.

They're already setting themselves apart from past incarnations with what they're doing now.

Have you forgotten that Tribune syndicates a morning program at the same time called Eye Opener? (http://eyeopenertv.com/)

Archived