CBS Sunday Morning

rkolsen

I haven't seen a thread for this show.

Anyway it's a week late they now reair the show at 2PM ET on the Smithsonian Channel.

Also does anyone know why their set is designed like an orchestral riser?

I haven't seen a thread for this show.

Anyway it's a week late they now reair the show at 2PM ET on the Smithsonian Channel.

Well sometimes Charlie Osgood plays the piano, and I really don't know why they have it.

To me, I like it, the format is great, and their ratings prove it. They had the best spring books since the advent of Neilsen's people meter going back 27 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well sometimes Charlie Osgood plays the piano, and I really don't know why they have it.

To me, I like it, the format is great, and their ratings prove it. They had the best spring books since the advent of Neilsen's people meter going back 27 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed, it's always been a staple in my house.

Say what you will about Sunday Morning appealing to the elderly, but I seem to prefer it over the fluffed up Sumday versions of Today and GMA. Yes, Sunday Morning has fluff but no more so than a newspaper and it's done in a relaxing and under-hyped kind of way.

Say what you will about Sunday Morning appealing to the elderly...

I don't know about that. Sunday Morning has some insanely good numbers in the demo, like beating all three weekday morning shows good, the last I heard.

I couldn't begin to guess on why the design was chosen. But aside from a couple of cosmetic upgrades over the years, that is essentially the same set (plexiglass logo walls and all) Charles Kuralt started with 35 years ago when it premiered.

My belief is it goes back to basic simplicity. Fewer distractions means the viewer is focusing more on the content than the production value.

I may be practically a kid here, but I love watching this show. It's much more relaxed and refined than Weekend GMA and Today. I love the set and its simplicity, the "fewer distractions" working in its favor and colors and lighting. And Osgood is just a badass.

On a side note: If/when Osgood retires, who do you guys think will be his successor?

My bet is on Lee Cowan. His fill-in work is amazing and when he does fill-in, his style and is almost exactly like Osgood. He is probably the only fill-in they have right now, but still.

I couldn't begin to guess on why the design was chosen. But aside from a couple of cosmetic upgrades over the years, that is essentially the same set (plexiglass logo walls and all) Charles Kuralt started with 35 years ago when it premiered.

My belief is it goes back to basic simplicity. Fewer distractions means the viewer is focusing more on the content than the production value.

I think the only change should be replacing the carpet (or deep clean it) on the risers and paint the sides.

I may be practically a kid here, but I love watching this show. It's much more relaxed and refined than Weekend GMA and Today. I love the set and its simplicity, the "fewer distractions" working in its favor and colors and lighting. And Osgood is just a badass.

On a side note: If/when Osgood retires, who do you guys think will be his successor?

My bet is on Lee Cowan. His fill-in work is amazing and when he does fill-in, his style and is almost exactly like Osgood. He is probably the only fill-in they have right now, but still.

Lee Cowan would be a great choice - CBS was good to steel him from NBC. Another possibility would be Mo Rocca.

Lee Cowan would be a great choice - CBS was good to steel him from NBC. Another possibility would be Mo Rocca.

I love Mo Rocca! He may be eccentric and goofy but has the charm, wit and intelligence to to be a part of the show. In fact I was really happy when he was name correspondent. And he would be great as host as well.

Anthony Mason. Lee Cowan. Jane Pauley. Tracy Smith. All would be fine as successors. But not Mo Rocca! He's okay as a correspondent, but nothing more. I feel like it's more likely it get replaced or slowly morph into a Sunday version of CBS This Morning once Osgood retires.

I feel like it's more likely it get replaced or slowly morph into a Sunday version of CBS This Morning once Osgood retires.

Why would CBS kill Sunday Morning when it trounces everything in the demos? It would be suicidal on CBS' part to replace it with CBS This Morning Sunday and have a subpar lead-in for Face the Nation.

Why would CBS kill Sunday Morning when it trounces everything in the demos? It would be suicidal on CBS' part to replace it with CBS This Morning Sunday and have a subpar lead-in for Face the Nation.

I don't like this talk, if you want to talk about post Osgood, then send it to the 9000™, its a little disrespectful if you asked me.

And for my question, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Osgood. I love and enjoy his work as host of Sunday Morning and find it the best part of my weekend mornings. I was just curious about SM and who would host in the future, and wanted this to be a calm, carefree, nice discussion about it. I apologize if this caused any worry on this site and fear of what could happen with this show in the future.

Not disrespectful at all. I think most if not all have sung praises about Osgood's performance. Not one person has said anything about kicking him to the curb. Hopefully he will be around for another decade or two. But like it or not, he will likely decide to retire one day or the unfortunate may happen.

Also, following up to my earlier post that the network may some day replace it with a Sunday edition of CBS This Morning, I think there are plenty of reasons they might do it despite the high ratings of Sunday Morning, chief among them being brand uniformity. I imagine that CTM is cheaper to produce than SM. One less set to upkeep. Less staff, both on air and off, as they would just utilize Saturday's people. High ratings doesn't always translate to high profits either.

Not disrespectful at all. I think most if not all have sung praises about Osgood's performance. Not one person has said anything about kicking him to the curb. Hopefully he will be around for another decade or two. But like it or not, he will likely decide to retire one day or the unfortunate may happen.

Also, following up to my earlier post that the network may some day replace it with a Sunday edition of CBS This Morning, I think there are plenty of reasons they might do it despite the high ratings of Sunday Morning, chief among them being brand uniformity. I imagine that CTM is cheaper to produce than SM. One less set to upkeep. Less staff, both on air and off, as they would just utilize Saturday's people. High ratings doesn't always translate to high profits either.

My local affiliate already pre-empts CTM Saturday so it would look odd to clear one day of CTM but not the other...

My local affiliate already pre-empts CTM Saturday so it would look odd to clear one day of CTM but not the other...

Suprised they wouldn't put it on a sub channel as a minimum. But it's basically the same as the weekday version but they have a food segment where they eat a meal that a chef prepared and talks about (but they don't give you the recipe) and a pre recorded coffee house style musical performance (I only say this because I don't think I've ever seen the hosts on camera with the band).

I think the only change should be replacing the carpet (or deep clean it) on the risers and paint the sides.

If Mo Rocca actually does succeed Charles Osgood, he'd be - IIRC - the first "Daily Show" 'correspondent' to actually host a serious news program.

With all due respect, Mr. Osgood is almost 82. It may be speculation, but it's not disrespectful. This is a very realistic issue that CBS will likely be tackling within 3-4 years.

Osgood is also under contract with Westwood One Radio to run his "Osgood Files" commentaries for that same amount of time. (WW1 inherited the show when they took over distribution of the legacy "CBS Radio Network" a few years back.)

Archived