Random WGN thread

ChiCubsFan

This perfectly explains why a potential station sale scares me. You know a staff like that would not be retained under just about any other owner.

I doubt these guys are full-time employees, so whatever associated cost there is, it wouldn't outweigh the benefit of having them on staff in the eyes of the station's owner imo. Plus, if Tribune Media were to sell any stations, WGN likely wouldn't be one of them.

In regards to the promo, it's interesting to know who they have on their weather support staff, but it's doubtful the average viewer cares one way or another.

Do even the NY stations have that many people on their weather staff. I imagine they have one or two producers in the background but now it seems that in the afternoon / evening newscasts one of the weekend meteorologists is there.

• Like 1

Holy crap...

[MEDIA=twitter]707665528890990593[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]707672196626432000[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]707630612169949185[/MEDIA]

It's going viral amongst all the major networks, though they don't know who it is...yet.

Man, Tomasulo's come a long way from anchoring weekend sports at WKBW. He was up there when I lived in Buffalo a while back...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Look like we might have Rich King's replacement. The last station in town that never had a female sports anchor is about to get one.

TVSpy posted this morning that Channel 9 has hired Lauren Magiera as a new sports anchor & reporter.

Good for Channel 9. Better late than never and its great that WGN will have somebody like her. She's got big shoes to fill so I'll see if she's up for the task myself.

• Like 2

Good for Channel 9. Better late than never and its great that WGN will have somebody like her. She's got big shoes to fill so I'll see if she's up for the task myself.

I haven't seen a female sportscaster I've been really impressed with yet...

I haven't seen a female sportscaster I've been really impressed with yet...

Jill Carlson and Kerry Sayers are pretty good imo. I guess it would depend on what you want/look for in a sportscaster. If someone can adequately articulate scores, plays, nuances/history of sports, pronounce names, etc..., then you're all good in my book.

• Like 1

A lot of the CSN hires have been iffy, at best, but the 5 main stations have fared pretty well with female sportscasters...Jill Carlson, Peggy Kusinki, Paula Faris, Megan Mawicke, Dionne Miller, and now Magiera, who seems to be competent in her resume reels.

I'm probably missing a few (at least it seems like it), but just as there are more men in the field, I can come up with a longer list of weak/poor/lousy guys than gals.

• Like 1

A lot of the CSN hires have been iffy, at best, but the 5 main stations have fared pretty well with female sportscasters...Jill Carlson, Peggy Kusinki, Paula Faris, Megan Mawicke, Dionne Miller, and now Magiera, who seems to be competent in her resume reels.

I'm probably missing a few (at least it seems like it), but just as there are more men in the field, I can come up with a longer list of weak/poor/lousy guys than gals.

I think you're only missing one.. Amy Stone (WMAQ).

• Like 1

In recent weeks/months, they cleared the area behind the monitor to allow for a larger screen. Unfortunately, it looked sloppy. It looks like they painted/covered the unfinished wall and maybe even added some lighting, though it's hard to tell from the photo.

In recent weeks/months, they cleared the area behind the monitor to allow for a larger screen. Unfortunately, it looked sloppy. It looks like they painted/covered the unfinished wall and maybe even added some lighting, though it's hard to tell from the photo.

Looks a little cobbled together...

• 3 weeks later...
From Feder tonight, Ron is not happy about that "ad" being posted.

I don't blame him. I think Feder's use of the word "fuming" is a little much, as he states he's disappointed. That said, those calling Ron a crybaby and out of touch on Facebook are missing the point. I'm not even talking about Ron's opinion on complimenting another news operation.

My beef is with the permission to run the testimonial. They've been running ads like these for several weeks, and I'll bet a lot of money to assume that those people are either A.) told/asked that their quote be used, or B.) are under the impression that emailing their statement directly to the show automatically gives their consent to the crew to use it in the future. Magers' situation doesn't fall under either case. He was neither informed nor asked, and he made this statement in a third party setting. That's where a line was crossed.

As a fan of both Ron and the WGN Morning News, my opinion of them hasn't changed. That said, WGN's PR department needs a little ethics training, but I have a feeling that won't happen based on the boss' statement on the matter: "What a nice compliment from a legendary newsman looking back at an award-winning career."

Jeff Hoover gets points, though: "Ron - First of all, thanks for your kind words. I'm sorry if no one from our marketing/promotions department reached out to you and asked for your permission. I heard a clip from the podcast and shared it with a few people at the station not ever thinking that someone would turn it into an ad in the newspaper."

• Like 2