PHL 17 launching 5:30am news

PhillyWatch

Saw a job posting a few weeks back looking for a weather person for an upcoming morning news half-hour leading into Eye Opener. Checking their schedule today, it appears to be launching on Monday. Anybody have any further info/insight?

Tribune news departments seem to be relatively solid nationwide, its somewhat unfortunate they don't have a full fledged operation here anymore (though they couldn't ask for a better station to be partnered with IMHO). Could this new show be testing the waters for expansion in the future?

Wow, this could be awesome, and a return to news produced in-house by WPHL.

When I was a kid, before WCAU took over producing its newscasts, I really enjoyed its' in-house News at Ten.

It's anchors were amazing and cool, the music was catchy and awesome and I watched every other night with WTXF.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. Even if the situation is weird because of the station's partnership with WPVI and EyeOpener.

They should just drop EyeOpener, have the 5:30-7:00 a.m. portion of WPVI's morning newscast simulcast on PHL 17 and then have a 2-hour extension from 7:00-9:00 a.m. I will tell you right now, if WPVI were to put a 7:00-9:00 a.m. block on WPHL, ratings in that block (out of the 4 stations - WPSG, WTXF, WFMZ and if possible, WPHL) would go in favor of WPVI on WPHL.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't wish for a "news" department to be re-instituted at WPHL - lest you end up with "NewsBroke", I mean "NewsFix"...

Just sayin' - keep the WPVI newscast where it's at...

(On a side note, I'm surprised Tribune didn't approach KTRK in Houston to partner for a 9pm newscast... A number of other ABC O&O stations are have done it or are doing it now...)

J

I can't imagine Trib would want to mess with a good thing at 10PM--I even think the WPVI produced news is #1 in that slot some nights.

Doing your own thing at 5.30 plus Eyeopener is odd too. I would think partnering with 6 for 7-9AM or beyond would be a better idea.

Archived