New Set at WPIX

NYNewsCoverage

Lower third fonts too big - in fact all the fonts seem way too big - smaller fonts look more modern (like WCBS) - i think the set looks great

Now if they can get rid of that annoying laughing Camelback commercials

Since the station is now formatting for 16:9, viewers that still watch on non-HD sets are getting a letterboxed picture, which would mean very small graphics if they kept them at the previous font size.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the open (I agree, they didn't need to put signs for "Studio 2A" and "PIX Plaza" in the open the announcing is enough), the set and graphics look good to me. This was a LONG TIME coming.

Hopefully, with a new set and graphics, and the update to the Custom Package, there will come a significant re-investment in the news product.

I will say, the graphics are growing on me. I'm still not used to the ticker though, it looks like I'm watching CNN of FOX News. I don't mind the ticker idea- I think it could be a bit smaller and "cleaner" IMO.

And yup, the spelling mistakes on the crawler are still atrocious. (some sports team) "bean" the Boston Red socks....the headlines are repeated twice in a row....It's not a bad idea, but PIX needs to get someone who won the spelling bee to be part of their management team.

Yes, they use the video wall area alot for stand ups- also I like the new morning set-up that was used this morning. reminds me very well of what they used to do :

new-am-interview-area.png?w=300&h=169old-am-interview-area.png?w=300&h=238

I think that may have been the point...

Yes, they use the video wall area alot for stand ups- also I like the new morning set-up that was used this morning. reminds me very well of what they used to do :

new-am-interview-area.png?w=300&h=169old-am-interview-area.png?w=300&h=238

In my opinion, I think they should use that blurred city skyline us the home base background for their newscasts. It is by far the most beautiful and unique part of the set that now other station has. If they would have designed the set, it would have looked much nicer and unique.

Not for anything but I had some spare time and I found these videos:

This looks like the old temporary set; I guess this is going to be part of the new set that will debut soon, and maybe that's why Lisa Mateo called it their "expanded new set"?

Looks like it will be a "social media" or some type of interactive set.. On a side note.. They finally have been using fill-in anchors when John or Tamsen are out.. That makes the show so much more watchable than a single anchor..

Looks like it will be a "social media" or some type of interactive set.. On a side note.. They finally have been using fill-in anchors when John or Tamsen are out.. That makes the show so much more watchable than a single anchor..

Was just going to mention that. Mario Diaz is on tonight- he's always one of the few reporters I could see being a valuable fill-in anchor. It seems like our rants finally got to them.

So here's my final opinion.. PIX is moving in the right direction.. Set is great in my opinion.. People complained when it was "different" and still complain when it's like the others.. It's one of the better ones if you ask me (love how it's very New York) The opening and graphics are different but interesting. I like them. I like the ticker on the night newscasts.. The content could improve, but they're getting there. They could defiantly improve the morning show a bit. Give Kaity a co-anchor. And a late morning or mid day newcast would be nice. Hopefully with the adding of the 6pm they'll move back up.

So here's my final opinion.. PIX is moving in the right direction.. Set is great in my opinion.. People complained when it was "different" and still complain when it's like the others.. It's one of the better ones if you ask me (love how it's very New York) The opening and graphics are different but interesting. I like them. I like the ticker on the night newscasts.. The content could improve, but they're getting there. They could defiantly improve the morning show a bit. Give Kaity a co-anchor. And a late morning or mid day newcast would be nice. Hopefully with the adding of the 6pm they'll move back up.

They wouldn't be in this mess by now if Kaity and Jim Watkins were still together on PIX 11 at 10:00 p.m. Really sad and a mistake by WPIX 11's end to release Jim, ban him from PIX Plaza and demote Kaity to weekends and replaced by ne'er-do-wells (wanted to use that word) who barely had NYC experience, compared to Kaity and her 30+ years on NYC Television (don't forget she used to be on WABC 7 doing 5:00 p.m. with late and great Tom Snyder.)

Kaity and Jim were great at 10:00 p.m. and because WPIX 11 let Jim go, that's why they are last in TV ratings and have never picked up since.

They updated the 10pm backdrop to an animated nighttime Computer generated image of the city skyline. I think it's the same animation that is used as a background to the closed captioning that plays before they come back from break. It's a nice addition IMO. If I was to rank the sets in New York, here's what I'd pick (from best to worst)

WCBS, WNBC, WPIX, WABC, WNYW

They should also add a weekend morning newscast, I hope they bring that plan back, along with the 11am newscast idea (heck, I'd even try a 1pm newscast)

Some ideas for a co-anchor with Kaity would be Jay Dow, Mario Diaz, Craig Treadway (if they would go internal). I personally think Kaity works best with a co-anchor (although she's great by herself too)

They updated the 10pm backdrop to an animated nighttime Computer generated image of the city skyline. I think it's the same animation that is used as a background to the closed captioning that plays before they come back from break. It's a nice addition IMO.

They should also add a weekend morning newscast, I hope they bring that plan back, along with the 11am newscast idea (heck, I'd even try a 1pm newscast)

Some ideas for a co-anchor with Kaity would be Jay Dow, Mario Diaz, Craig Treadway (if they would go internal). I personally think Kaity works best with a co-anchor (although she's great by herself too)

1) I think the graphics are great too. Even better than the live shots on the skyline even.

2) I agree with that statement. The news department has improved greatly (depending on your view) since "that man" left the station. And I enjoy many of the anchor and reporter activity since then. So I think an expansion to 11am and weekend morning newscast is perfect.

3) I think any of these choices are great, especially Jay Dow (because of his fantastic reporting and impressive skills during the few times he filled in) and Mario Diaz (because he has a great anchoring style I from his filling in for John Muller tonight, and could work with Kaity very well, at least to me).

They've been doing this (ending with the show every weeknight) for a few months now. It's not a new, sudden thing.

Yeah on Monday night, the night the set debuted (during an abbreviated newscast due to the Yankee game), the entire team came back and signed off after the sports desk. I think part of the reason why they did this was because the 'Sports Desk' was having technical issues and PIX was running out of time. But it was just a one night thing.

Odd combination of the night-time duraratrans and the daytime animated backdrop on the Sunday News at Five. No idea why.

Btw, I wonder why the Sunday News at 5:00 is still a half-hour while the weeknight and Saturday 5:00 p.m. is on for an hour. I don't get it.

I agree it looks very odd

CC_Dk4zUMAA3AgG.png

Stagehands are a union job.. If someone wasn't there who takes care of that it wouldn't get done.. Especially if it was someone very involved with union rule.. Sometimes you'll see on FOX5 on weekends the 10pm has the daytime backdrop.

Stagehands are a union job.. If someone wasn't there who takes care of that it wouldn't get done.. Especially if it was someone very involved with union rule.. Sometimes you'll see on FOX5 on weekends the 10pm has the daytime backdrop.

It should be automated from the control room or the little alcove for the prompter operater on set if it's electrical... I can't really tell if it is or not.

Archived