New Set at WPIX

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The set looks great! The graphics are I guess pretty good, I just have to learn to embrace the new and modern look more. I wished they would've upgraded the music too, but that's just me being very nitpicky. Overall, a very nice change of pace for them.

Also, PIX now uses a crawl in the evening with this new package.

The set looks great! The graphics are I guess pretty good, I just have to learn to embrace the new and modern look more. I wished they would've upgraded the music too, but that's just me being very nitpicky. Overall, a very nice change of pace for them.

Also, PIX now uses a crawl in the evening with this new package.

With the Music it seems like they are doing an orchestral adaptation of the 90-00's theme

I have only seen pics so far but it looks great.

Also there's something about Kaity Tong being there for the first broadcast that makes me happy.

I agree this set is much better than what was there when news dept destroyer Bill Carey came through

While I do agree the set is an improvement and defiantly improves the station's image, to me, the set comes off as generic and been there done that.

The monitor wall looks great, but, it's just another skyscraper view of the empire state building. The duratrans too have that generic look that could already been seen on WABC and will become dated looking immediately. The awkwardness of the 5:00 set's size seems kind of odd especially when you see it in the wide shots. While the desk is cool, it is stylistically out of place and the plasmas on the left of the desk seem very small market.

While the set is an improvement, it's just another cookie cutter set that has sadly become the norm.

The graphics are great but i do think that the orange shape with the ticker title is not needed and i think the ticker would look better without it.

Man, this is awesome. The orchestral reworking of the theme kicks butt. Also, it seems they've adopted the colors of the Mets for some reason... despite the fact they have resumed their relationship with the Yankees at the same time; sports team cheating!

It's different but the same. If that makes sense.I like that they use the Freedom Tower.. First time we've seen that. Remember we've only seen one part of the set in full action so far. There are many pictures we saw that haven't debuted yet. Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

The graphics are a bit amateurish. The couldn't have used real images, instead of animated graphics for the open? C'mon, is there really a sign at the top of their studio that says PIX Plaza or a train that runs through the skyscrapers of NYC? What's with the color scheme of blue and orange? Let's see what image they use in the background images for the 10pm newscast (on the monitor wall and sides), perhaps it looks better with a a darker skyline?

The desk used looks like it should have been used for the PIX11 Sports Desk.

The set looks clean, yet there seems to be a lot going on. I don't know. I had high hopes of a more professional, serious looking set. It will have to grow on me.

I'm just waiting for them to get their hard news image back. These changes aren't helping.

The graphics are a bit amateurish. The couldn't have used real images, instead of animated graphics for the open? C'mon, is there really a sign at the top of their studio that says PIX Plaza or a train that runs through the skyscrapers of NYC? What's with the color scheme of blue and orange? Let's see what image they use in the background images for the 10pm newscast (on the monitor wall and sides), perhaps it looks better with a a darker skyline?

The desk used looks like it should have been used for the PIX11 Sports Desk.

The set looks clean, yet there seems to be a lot going on. I don't know. I had high hopes of a more professional, serious looking set. It will have to grow on me.

I'm just waiting for them to get their hard news image back. These changes aren't helping.

Yeah I kind of like the set, I'm not that much of a fan of the graphics however. I was hoping for a more low-key, yet modern look. The graphics look way too busy for me. Well, the news at 10 starts now. Let's see what the set looks like tonight.

Also the entire team signed off together at the end of the sports desk instead of just Scott signing off by himself. I guess this is a permanent change? Either way its much better that way in my view.

The graphics are a bit amateurish. [They] couldn't have used real images, instead of animated graphics for the open? C'mon, is there really a sign at the top of their studio that says PIX Plaza or a train that runs through the skyscrapers of NYC? What's with the color scheme of blue and orange?

I agree wholeheartedly, at least on the open.

Now that I think about it, the open really is amateurish. The weird elements of it (the train and the PIX Plaza sign) really make me now wish they didn't change the package in the first place. Say what you will about the small usage of the NYC skyline in the previous opens, but at least they looked very nice and fit the open well, and the graphics were fantastic.

This feels like a step back to me, especially the open. Even the previous one for the Morning News with the weird-ass sun looks better than this. But (at least in my eyes) it's best not to think too much about it, as the train and PIX Plaza sign (things just too strange to find existing in real-life New York) would leave you aggravated. If you want an open to impress and remember, don't use these things.

Eeeuughhh!!! Those lower thirds and that ticker look like someone's first try at making a graphics package in Vizrt, though I do like how the anchor L3 transitions into the bug. At least the open is more polished than the leaked version, but it's looks more like an open for a talk show than a news broadcast.

Lower third fonts too big - in fact all the fonts seem way too big - smaller fonts look more modern (like WCBS) - i think the set looks great

Now if they can get rid of that annoying laughing Camelback commercials

It's definitely a fairly traditional set - but I actually think that's exactly what they need after various modern designs and attempts to be ground-breaking that have really damaged their credibility (I'm thinking of the previous set and the horrible virtual set from the Jodi Applegate days).

This set says both 'news' and 'New York' to me - which in itself is a big improvement.

Honestly, I think the whole makeover is a wash.

• The old open never impressed me at all. The generic shots of the city were untouched, and clashed with the title card and other elements. The new open is a little over the top, but it's different, for sure. I also like the rendition of the theme better in the new one.
  • The new lower thirds are too big and the fonts are even bigger, but the cityscape across the bottom of the old ones killed them for me.
  • The new graphics would rise above the old in my book if (1.) the ticker wasn't so ungainly, and (2.) it wasn't used on every broadcast.
  • That old set sucked bad. Even if the new set is generic and predictable, there's no questioning that's it's for a news program. On that point alone, it's a major improvement to me.

Eeeuughhh!!! Those lower thirds and that ticker look like someone's first try at making a graphics package in Vizrt, though I do like how the anchor L3 transitions into the bug. At least the open is more polished than the leaked version, but it's looks more like an open for a talk show than a news broadcast.

Those graphics are apparently an in-house job. The set is from Studio A Designs.

Archived