SJL buys KITV from Hearst

NEOMatrix

Getting back to a speculative WMOR swap to Scripps, I would think KIVI or KERO might be close to being an even swap (smaller-market ABC for large-market no-news indie). However, I would imagine the station Scripps would love to give up is WMAR.

Hearst wouldn't be able to take WMAR though as it conflicts with WBAL.

KERO fits much better staying with Scripps, and Hearst is nowhere to be found in the Northwest either. One swap I could see working is WMOR and KCRA/KQCA to Scripps, WTVF and KJRH to Hearst...looking at geographical footprints, WTVF is a no-brainer as it is isolated in the Scripps portfolio and fits well with Hearst, while KJRH was the next best option open (third place station close to several other Hearst stations).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my understanding, how the Hearst stations rank (from largest to smallest markets):

WCVB - Dominant 1st (pseudo-duopoly with WMUR)

WESH - 2nd (duopoly with WKCF)

KCRA - 2nd? Not familiar with that market (duopoly with KQCA)

WTAE - 2nd

WBAL - Dominant 1st

KMBC - 2nd? Not sure if KCTV has passed them (duopoly with KCWE)

WVTM - Distant 4th

WISN - 1st

WLWT - 1st? Not sure if it has passed WKRC

WYFF - 1st

WPBF - 2nd

KOCO - 3rd, although fairly close?

WGAL - Dominant 1st

WXII - 1st

KOAT - 2nd? Not familiar with that market

WLKY - 3rd

WDSU - 2nd

KITV - Distant 3rd

KCCI - Dominant 1st

KETV - 2nd

WMTW - 3rd

WJCL - Distant 3rd

WAPT - 3rd

WPTZ - 2nd (also has satellite WNNE)

KHBS - Distant 2nd (also has satellite KHOG)

KSBW - Uber-dominant 1st

I think KCRA is first in most timeslots. WBAL is sometimes second against sometimes dominant WJZ. I think KMBC is still #1 while WKRC, I think, is STILL #1. New Mexico, IMO, is too close to call in the ratings.

Hearst wouldn't be able to take WMAR though as it conflicts with WBAL.

KERO fits much better staying with Scripps, and Hearst is nowhere to be found in the Northwest either. One swap I could see working is WMOR and KCRA/KQCA to Scripps, WTVF and KJRH to Hearst...looking at geographical footprints, WTVF is a no-brainer as it is isolated in the Scripps portfolio and fits well with Hearst, while KJRH was the next best option open (third place station close to several other Hearst stations).

From my understanding, how the Hearst stations rank (from largest to smallest markets):

KCRA - 2nd? Not familiar with that market (duopoly with KQCA)

Correct. KCRA is right behind KOVR.

KOAT - 2nd? Not familiar with that market

KOAT is usually first but it's always very close with KOB.

Not even correct. KCRA has dominated the competition (even when KOVR & KXTV's ratings are combined) for decades. Hearst would have to be nuts to sell KCRA.

http://www.kcra.com/blob/view/-/31510680/data/1/-/a8e43iz/-/2015-February-Sweeps.pdf

I knew it. KCRA is #1 because it was locally owned and operated for decades until sold to Hearst. With Hearst, all KCRA did is ignited more flame and energy into local programming/newscasts. And with a slogan like Where The News Comes First (in which KCRA has used the slogan since December 1958 and trademarked since 1980, all according to Wikipedia) and with former names like Channel 3 Reports / KCRA 3 Reports, KCRA has just been nothing but domination in Sacramento. Pure domination.

I must say if I was at KITV I would be getting my resume ready given SJL's track record.

KITV doesn't have to go far, they just have to look at their competitor KHON and see how SJL treated them before they were eventually sold to New Vision.

To sum it up: It was getting so bad that Joe Moore almost left KHON solely because he disagreed with how SJL was running things.

The transition team brought in to run KHON announced multiple job cuts and other changes that resulted in the mass resignations of the station’s management executives, including General Manager Rick Blangiardi, who went on to lead Hawaii News Now’s KGMB-TV and KHNL-TV

@GoldenShine9 some of the ratings in some of these markets are wrong. KCRA has always been hands down #1 in the market. KXTV used to be runner and KOVR followed in third place. However KOVR has challenged KXTV for second place.

WLKY hands down is #1 and has challenged WHAS for #1 and have dethrone them as well. WAVE has fallen to third place.

Cincinnati WKRC is #1 in all newscast and WLWT has to pass WCPO for second. Despite Scripps woes WCPO is second in all newscast except mornings where it a tight battle but WLWT has posted second.

ABQ- KOAT usually #1 and it was a 3-way tie a few years back, so I assume KOAT #1 KOB or KRQE #1???

KETV last time I check they were #1 across the board unless WOWT knocked them out and KMTV has been a third place for a minute.

WXII maybe #2, because I thought WFMY was #1 in the Peidmont, and yes ratings can change, but what going on at WFMY? Do they have any Gannett woes/issues???

@GoldenShine9 some of the ratings in some of these markets are wrong. KCRA has always been hands down #1 in the market. KXTV used to be runner and KOVR followed in third place. However KOVR has challenged KXTV for second place.

WLKY hands down is #1 and has challenged WHAS for #1 and have dethrone them as well. WAVE has fallen to third place.

Cincinnati WKRC is #1 in all newscast and WLWT has to pass WCPO for second. Despite Scripps woes WCPO is second in all newscast except mornings where it a tight battle but WLWT has posted second.

ABQ- KOAT usually #1 and it was a 3-way tie a few years back, so I assume KOAT #1 KOB or KRQE #1???

KETV last time I check they were #1 across the board unless WOWT knocked them out and KMTV has been a third place for a minute.

WXII maybe #2, because I thought WFMY was #1 in the Peidmont, and yes ratings can change, but what going on at WFMY? Do they have and Gannett woes/issues???

KCRA, WLKY, KOAT, KETV and WXII are #1. WLWT is #3, compared to WKRC #1 and WCPO #2. WLKY tightly competes against WHAS while KETV does the same against WOWT and WXII... by a longshot.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to those who resign or are layer off. I doubt that even a fraction will or be hired by Hawaii News Now or KHON assuming there are job openings. But I wonder if Raycom has the desire (and money) to create a duopoly to WTTV/WXIN type of situation.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to those who resign or are layer off. I doubt that even a fraction will or be hired by Hawaii News Now or KHON assuming there are job openings. But I wonder if Raycom has the desire (and money) to create a duopoly to WTTV/WXIN type of situation.

Raycom already has a duopoly (triopoly if you include the SSA with KFVE) and that came with a lot of controversy, no way they would be able to get KITV too.

It'll probably end up being someone like Nexstar or Sinclair.

WXII maybe #2, because I thought WFMY was #1 in the Peidmont, and yes ratings can change, but what going on at WFMY? Do they have and Gannett woes/issues???

Some of them I wasn't sure about. I'm a bit surprised on WLKY, I figured they were #3 due to their channel position and that is often a sign of weakness, unless Hearst really got aggressive with them.

Raycom already has a duopoly (triopoly if you include the SSA with KFVE) and that came with a lot of controversy, no way they would be able to get KITV too.

It'll probably end up being someone like Nexstar or Sinclair.

I meant whether or not Raycom would ever consider operating their duopoly like WTTV/ WXIN where they maintain separate anchor teams/newscasts.

Some of them I wasn't sure about. I'm a bit surprised on WLKY, I figured they were #3 due to their channel position and that is often a sign of weakness, unless Hearst really got aggressive with them.

No, WLKY has made moves in the last few years, and the Louisville market is probably one of the most competitive markets along with Pittsburgh. WLKY has moved up. It probably a big plus with CBS being on top with their prime-time shows. Here some articles from 2012/2013. I know there a few years old, haven't seen any from 2014/15. WAVE seems to have alot of woes, and WHAS probably has it issues as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2012/07/30/wlky-tv-wins-majority-of-time-slots-in.html

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/two-up-two-down-what-the-february-sweeps-say-about-local-tv-competition/

WBAL - Dominant 1st

Have things changed in Baltimore since I left? Admittedly, it was back in 2012, but WBAL and WJZ were always locked in a fierce battle for 1st. Though I haven't seen anything on either network since 2012, and it doesn't appear that the Baltimore Sun tracks TV news ratings anymore.

WBAL - Dominant 1st

Have things changed in Baltimore since I left? Admittedly, it was back in 2012, but WBAL and WJZ were always locked in a fierce battle for 1st. Though I haven't seen anything on either network since 2012, and it doesn't appear that the Baltimore Sun tracks TV news ratings anymore.

In the past few years they were strong in different day parts (WJZ in AM and WBAL PM) but in the past year or more I think WBAL won the majority of their timeslots. WBAL in February had the highest number of viewers in all timeslots* and won the demo for everything except for the 4:30 AM, 5:00 AM and 12:00 PM shows. I believe Today and Nightly News have remained on top even though it's been on shaky ground nationally.

For what it's worth their sub channel WBAL + / MeTV Baltimore has the highest ratings of ALL classic diginets nationwide. Although they don't report or mention their 10PM newscasts in any of their PoP promos / news releases I have heard that they are neck and neck with WBFF.

*this was given through a PoP promo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived