MSNBC Shake Up

B2r4a6n

It's a shame. Her show was decent but the Fox stigma probably hurt her more than anything with MSNBC loyalists.

Ari's a good host and analyst.

That's what I thought it probably was, too. People know her as being from Fox News, where she had a show for over a decade, so a lot of loyal MSNBC viewers and many people who lean more progressive in their audience probably disliked her and her show from the start and weren't willing to give her a chance.

I'll say this from a non-partistan perspective, Greta was very hard to watch. She just was a sloppy host and didn't really offer anything. As an NBC News/MSNBC loyalist who watches virtually every show all the way through, I honestly did not watch more than 5 minutes of her in 6 months at the network. As for Ari Melber, he's nothing special either. They're trying to sell him as a serious, unbiased journalist but his liberal commentating past is evident. He'll do better than Greta, but I don't think he'll be the major draw someone like Joy Reid would be. If Greta was fired for her poor ratings (every hour from 4pm to 11pm grew in total and demo viewers except hers) they should look at Chris Hayes next.

• Like 1

That's what I thought it probably was, too. People know her as being from Fox News, where she had a show for over a decade, so a lot of loyal MSNBC viewers and many people who lean more progressive in their audience probably disliked her and her show from the start and weren't willing to give her a chance.

To be fair, she had a long run at CNN prior to Fox. She just went with the wrong network.

• Like 3

She was too legit for MSNBC...or maybe just too "L-Ron" for Phil and friends.

Yep. Add to that many Fox viewers who refused to watch her show because it was on MSNBC.

To be fair, she had a long run at CNN prior to Fox. She just went with the wrong network.

Some even thought she was a poor fit at Fox. I'm reading a book about a guy who worked for them and Greta was brought up, and they said that for a number of reasons she seemed like the odd one out there after going to FNC from CNN (her more conservative appearance compared to the supermodel female anchors that they're famous for, she often ran in Democratic circles before, Scientologist, etc.). By the time she left Fox, she even said it didn't feel like a home to her.

Similar fate for Hugh Hewitt?

Only if he has poor ratings. Tucker Carlson had a show on MSNBC for a few years that was cancelled due to low ratings. The MSNBC audiences and people who most often watch them generally prefer commentators to not be as right-leaning. Just like if they got a far-left leaning person to host a political opinion show on Fox News (on their own, without 4 other people shouting over them). The general audiences who watch the network would probably not be happy with that show and wouldn't watch it.

• Like 2

I don't necessarily think it is because of perceived conservative politics because Nicolle Wallace seems to be holding her own. She always runs behind Cavuto on Fox but either beats or is close behind Tapper on CNN in both the Demo and Total Viewers.

I think the Fox News stigma hurt Greta more than anything. Whereas Wallace and Hugh Hewitt weren't thrown into their own shows but rather were slowly introduced to MSNBC viewers over time through the campaign and on the 11th Hour.

I don't necessarily think it is because of perceived conservative politics because Nicolle Wallace seems to be holding her own. She always runs behind Cavuto on Fox but either beats or is close behind Tapper on CNN in both the Demo and Total Viewers.

I think the Fox News stigma hurt Greta more than anything. Whereas Wallace and Hugh Hewitt weren't thrown into their own shows but rather were slowly introduced to MSNBC viewers over time through the campaign and on the 11th Hour.

I think that's where MSNBC failed on this particular endeavor. Apart from the stigma you mentioned, the addition of Greta felt so sudden.

• Like 1

I agree with you there, however Wallace plays directly to what I think is the majority of the MSNBC audience. She is very outspoken and more critical of Trump than Greta was. Deadline's approach is also refreshing with the round table discussions and involvement of many correspondents covering Washington.

Nicole's roll out was very smooth like you noted, which I can't say the same about for Megyn Kelly.

• Like 1

Ugh every time I see Ari Melber I change the channel. Male version of Rachel Maddow. He does have good name recognition however, being a frequent prime time fill in for Rachel and Lawrence.

At least they didn't give it to Steve. I can stomach Ari much more than him.

Only if he has poor ratings. Tucker Carlson had a show on MSNBC for a few years that was cancelled due to low ratings. The MSNBC audiences and people who most often watch them generally prefer commentators to not be as right-leaning. Just like if they got a far-left leaning person to host a political opinion show on Fox News (on their own, without 4 other people shouting over them). The general audiences who watch the network would probably not be happy with that show and wouldn't watch it.

They stuck Hugh at 8am EDT on Saturdays for a half-hour. Maybe it's a portend of things to come, but that's basically debuting your show in Siberia and hoping to proceed from there.

They stuck Hugh at 8am EDT on Saturdays for a half-hour. Maybe it's a portend of things to come, but that's basically debuting your show in Siberia and hoping to proceed from there.

Chris Hayes started on Weekend mornings!

I honestly think MSNBC is finding the right formula to balance news and opinion. CNN tries to balance but fails every time. FOX doesn't hide their bias but they hit a ceiling. There are only so many pro-trump viewers to capture.

Personally, I use to watch CNN during the day and go to MSNBC in primetime but now I stick with MSNBC all day. I think the "MSNBC Live" branding, as opposed to individual shows, with a variety of anchors has really pushed the news side above CNN.

I agree with you there, however Wallace plays directly to what I think is the majority of the MSNBC audience. She is very outspoken and more critical of Trump than Greta was. Deadline's approach is also refreshing with the round table discussions and involvement of many correspondents covering Washington.

Nicole's roll out was very smooth like you noted, which I can't say the same about for Megyn Kelly.

Exactly. NBC has no certain future now with Megyn Kelly. How much longer can Sunday Night last? Ratings are terrible and after SNF, it is highly doubtful it will return.

• Like 1

Chris Hayes started on Weekend mornings!

Yes but he was a contributor before that. Additionally his show was two hours long from 8-10pm and promoted. I haven't seen any promotion for Hugh's show - it just sort of premiered.

Chris started guest hosting shows in 2010 for Maddow, Keith, Schultz and Lawrence.

• Like 1

Personally, I use to watch CNN during the day and go to MSNBC in primetime but now I stick with MSNBC all day. I think the "MSNBC Live" branding, as opposed to individual shows, with a variety of anchors has really pushed the news side above CNN.

I'm personally watching far more MSNBC than I ever did before. Their news presentation is far superior to that of CNN these days.

CNN has turned the entire network into exactly the kind of thing that Jon Stewart criticized "Crossfire" for back in 2004; a bunch of people shouting at past each other with no one having anything productive (or often anything intelligent) to say. In contrast, MSNBC these days tends to present the news fairly straight, and when they do have guests, they usually contribute something to the discussion.

• Like 2

I'm personally watching far more MSNBC than I ever did before. Their news presentation is far superior to that of CNN these days.

CNN has turned the entire network into exactly the kind of thing that Jon Stewart criticized "Crossfire" for back in 2004; a bunch of people shouting at past each other with no one having anything productive (or often anything intelligent) to say. In contrast, MSNBC these days tends to present the news fairly straight, and when they do have guests, they usually contribute something to the discussion.

I think a lot of people noticed something was a bit wrong with CNN during the initial craze over the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines plane. Having nonstop "BREAKING NEWS" that leads to constant speculation about what could have happened to the plane (including Don Lemon suggesting something supernatural could have happened or when he read the theory that it could have been sucked into a black hole), Don Lemon essentially playing with a toy airplane at the desk, and the big on-screen countdown to the moment the batteries on the plane's black box went out (they still use this giant on-screen box for other countdowns and promotions, and I hate it, it takes up too much of the screen and looks really bad, and it reminds me of Fox News when they had an on-screen terror alert level, only even THAT wasn't as annoyingly out of place). CNN seems to have decided to go the more sensational route, and that includes the Brady Bunch-esque talking heads screaming over each other over social and political issues, which I personally find unwatchable. If MSNBC goes the more professional route, I'm all for that.

• Like 1

I don't understand why MSNBC hired Greta. She isn't a good broadcaster. Even during my previous life as a loyal Fox News watcher (I now turn to MSNBC for my cable news) I couldn't stand her. I found her annoying, her voice grating, her show sensationalist (focusing on Natalee Holloway for years), and her talking out of the corner of her mouth drives me crazy.

As others have said, if they slowly introduced her to MSNBC audiences over time, ala Nicole Wallace, maybe Greta would have done better. But they introduced her way too quickly. I think she would have done better with a primetime show on weekends.

I think a lot of people noticed something was a bit wrong with CNN during the initial craze over the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines plane. Having nonstop "BREAKING NEWS" that leads to constant speculation about what could have happened to the plane (including Don Lemon suggesting something supernatural could have happened or when he read the theory that it could have been sucked into a black hole), Don Lemon essentially playing with a toy airplane at the desk, and the big on-screen countdown to the moment the batteries on the plane's black box went out (they still use this giant on-screen box for other countdowns and promotions, and I hate it, it takes up too much of the screen and looks really bad, and it reminds me of Fox News when they had an on-screen terror alert level, only even THAT wasn't as annoyingly out of place). CNN seems to have decided to go the more sensational route, and that includes the Brady Bunch-esque talking heads screaming over each other over social and political issues, which I personally find unwatchable. If MSNBC goes the more professional route, I'm all for that.

Ali Velshi is by far the best on MSNBC Live. He is a hard news reporter who loves numbers. I can see why they paired him and Stephanie Rhule together for 11:00, (both have a past in finance) but Rhule always comes off very whiny. She voices the usual amount of speculation you'd expect for MSNBC, but the whole "yep Trump did this" followed by a scowl and the "wow" after each reporter, gets to me. I don't necessarily like criticizing anyone but it gets to a point where the network is as only good as their people.

Most FOX viewers are in nursing homes where they can't change the channel by themselves. In some cases when you let the old men have the remote...they watch inappropriate shows...like the Man Show and those jiggly game shows on Estrella TV.

• Like 4

Hewitt is a super policy wonk that plays to a super narrow but loyal (radio) following of dems and pubes. Is he toning that down on the TV show?

Hewitt is a super policy wonk that plays to a super narrow but loyal (radio) following of dems and pubes. Is he toning that down on the TV show?

If Hugh managed to tone down the wonky stuff, it would become 30 minutes of Cleveland Browns talk, and nobody really wants that.